WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

HikerMomKD, you're certainly one of the good ones, thank you and your fellow angels, helping out any hikers for any reason, that shows class and utter kindness. Sadly people do complain about trail magic, I have in other feeds, having it given to you with a Religious tint, speaking of the Bible etc etc etc. Regardless unless im in need of conversation or just a pep talk, will always stop ask how their doing, even if I don't take something I thank them, because they could be at home in the warmth, instead outside helping a lonely hiker find a way, so thanks to you and all Angels, who do it for the greater good.

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    As I said, I'm not mad that people do it; I know they mean well. For some hikers it probably is a great blessing, and I can appreciate that... But for me I don't go backpacking to meet people, I go backpacking to get away from people. That doesn't mean I resent meeting friendly people, or that I don't enjoy some of my interactions, it just means that I specifically pick places to hike where I won't see many people.

I just cringe a little bit when I hear about people seeking me (obviously not me specifically but you know what I mean) out while I'm out there to 'do something nice' for me. I'm not 'in need' when I'm hiking, that's why I did the research and packed appropriately for my trip. If I were truly in need and someone helped me, purely out of random kindness, obviously I would be extremely grateful but that's not the case on the trail. It all just seems very contrived to me; I go out there and intentionally put myself in that position, only to have people show up to 'help me?' I guess I just don't get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    mom dont get me wrong, im looking forward to meeting a lot of people i know from whiteblaze and really looking forward to meeting you as well.but until last year, i always hiked alone.
    this year i saw a window of opportunity and decided it was time to take a long walk.ive already experienced trail magic on this trip before ive even taken the first step, and i am humbled by it. im just not sure of the crowds and the traveling frat party. while i will appreciate magic on my trip, and this trip will certainly be more social than any other ive taken, i still prefer to walk alone.my concern sometimes is that angels like yourself are not appreciated by those who almost expect that "magic"
    then its no longer magical.
    I understand what you guys are saying. I really do. I'm beginning to see the "light". I wouldn't want to be used or try to help out people that don't really want or need "help". I know when I was on the trail myself, the thing I missed the most was having a vehicle. I felt very limited that way. The other stuff doesn't really matter.....

Quote Originally Posted by wingedmonkey View Post
    someone helping you quit your hike is not magic.
    *speechless*

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    *speechless*
    Impossible.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Impossible.
    If someone doesn't do anything about this... I'm gone. You can give ME the boot, I don't care. This is unacceptable.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Almost by definition, trail magic is what's helpful. Anything that's not helpful is hardly magical.

Big hiker feeds, to me, lack a certain something. I'm not really comfortable at a party hosted by a random stranger, and (clueless weekender that I am) I've never got to the point where hiker hunger would overcome that aversion. I've been invited to them, excused myself with, "thank you sir/ma'am, that's very kind of you, but I'm just out for a long weekend and I've got plenty," and walked on.

But I've also encountered real magic. Most recently, the cabbie in Great Barrington who shuttled me back to my truck on an icy dirt road when I got bronchitis on the trail and had to bail out of a winter trip. (I'd asked her for a ride as far as the pavement goes, and she said, "we can do this" and took me all the way to the trailhead.) Years ago, the guys, some of them not in my party, who took my pack and walked me out when I bunged up a knee in the Whites. One of them was a thru-hiker, running late to make it to Katahdin before the bad weather set in, and he still killed the some hours holding me up with my arm around his shoulders - southbound. (If any of you happen to see this, thanks again!)

Sometimes the real magic has been just a kind word from a stranger when I really needed it. Or sometimes it's been someone taking my help at a time I felt useless. Or noticing me doing something like trashing out a shelter and lending a hand. Or the smile on a ten-year-old's face when I said to him, "would you like to borrow my headlamp and explore that cave?" and to his mother, "It only goes in about a hundred feet, he can't get lost."

I guess what I'm saying is that you can't resolve, "today, I'm going to do trail magic," because the real magic can't be forced. The best you can do is every day, say, "today, I'm open to the possibility of magic."

Now, if you want to toss a party for hikers, or shuttle them into a town, or whatever, go for it. It might very well be magical for someone. But please don't be miffed if I thank you and hike on, because I'm just not up for a party or headed to that town. So many would-be trail angels think I'm ungrateful, when I simply don't need nor want what they're offering.

Sorry for the long post, but I get the impression that if I posted in a more laconic fashion, I'd be an old grouch like Lone Wolf. (I am an old grouch, but different from Lone Wolf.)
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Someone helping you quit your hike is not magic.
    Balderdash!

See my post above. The guys who walked me off the mountain with a hurt knee, when I couldn't go more than a couple of steps without support, that was magical. Maybe the most magical of all the help I've ever had anyone give me on the trail. Even though I surely was ending that trip.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

If someone doesn't do anything about this... I'm gone. You can give ME the boot, I don't care. This is unacceptable.
    Oh come on... That's a super common joke response that you'd think nothing of if it came from a friend in any other setting. I think you're reading too much into it, personally.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Trail Magic...the original, best kind.
    Pick your own example....

Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

^Nailed it.

It is if you can't walk.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post

Exactly what I was thinking when I first heard this term

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post

True Dat!!!

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Being rude on the internet is like a picnic and ants: It's gonna happen.

Now, you don;t have to like it..but you can ignore the user. Censoring people because they are sarcastic and rude? Well..that would eliminate half the people I grew up with..and me at times.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

in 2000 there was not as much planned feeds as there is now.I only remember one at Wayah Bald. There was one in NY that was popular for a few years. I and Bookworm (2000) did a two day thing at harriman in 2001, no alcohol allowed at that one. During my hike, in VT I arrived at the shelter up from the Bennington road crossing and everyone was talking about the feed they had down at the road, burgers, dogs beer etc. I was like, are you guys nuts, i just came from there I saw nothing. Turns out they were set up in parking lot to left of trail crossing, even tho I took a break at the bridge , i never saw the feed. SO If you do a feed, Do it were I can see you.

Sure it is... if you are in the middle of nowhere, crippled and without other resources. Not just magic...FM.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

As a section hiker I'll chime in to say that my family and I have always appreciated trail magic in any form it was received, including hiker feeds. Though we pack all the food we can carry it is never enough and the chance to eat something fresh on the trail is too tempting to resist. We've also been the recipient several times of a cold soda or water in a dry section. Priceless...to us.

Here's my trail magic story:

Last summer we were hiking in New York on a 3 state section. The kids had really turned up the dial and we were cranking out successive 20-mile days and Mamma Bear and I were tired. This particular day we realized that we ran the risk of passing by High Point SP HQ too late to pick up our mail drop, otherwise we would have to hike back from the shelter and we never like having to hike trail twice. So we pushed to make it there just as they were closing up. Since they had a bathroom and a trash can reserved for long distance hikers, we took a moment to go inside and use the facilities. To our right was a closed door and in the darkness we could see the inside of the visitor's center with its displays. We wished we could have gotten there earlier to let the kids see them but the timing just hadn't worked out.

As we unpacked our box, one of the rangers came out and offered us all a soda, something they did for all long distance hikers. Then she asked if we would mind if they let the kids see the visitor's center. We said of course! Once we'd finished repacking our food we went inside to find everyone inside showing the kids around. It was now at least 30 minutes after close and they had all stayed to entertain them. We took a picture with everyone and posted it on our journal. That was magic.

Any trail magic is fine with me. If I'm not interested I'll say "no thanks" and move on. I've done it several times. The AT is a place to get away for us - I completely understand the desire to escape. Believe me. But what has surprised us is our deep love of meeting strangers on the trail and spending some time getting to know them. This has deepened our awareness of other viewpoints and helped us see the kindness in so many others.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Images

ihad a piece of trail magic several years ago in the whites, was dehydrated and dizzy at the base of mt garfield with no water when i ran into 2 guys doing the bonds with huge monster packs on had to be 50=60lbs apiece. when i asked if they had any water to spare, one of them pulls out a gallon jug of poland spring told me to help myself. without that water i dont think i would have made it to garfield campsite.
    just happened to run into them when i needed them the most.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I was hiking between Davenport Gap and Hot Springs and there was a big tent setup, a grill with smoke pouring off it and a crowd of hikers around it. As I hiked by someone shouted, "Hey, don't you want something to eat?"

I said no thanks I wasn't hungry and kept on going. It wasn't that I had anything against them or thought they shouldn't be there - it just didn't interest me and I generally don't eat if I'm not hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBASTARD View Post
    HikerMomKD, you're certainly one of the good ones, thank you and your fellow angels, helping out any hikers for any reason, that shows class and utter kindness. Sadly people do complain about trail magic, I have in other feeds, having it given to you with a Religious tint, speaking of the Bible etc etc etc. Regardless unless im in need of conversation or just a pep talk, will always stop ask how their doing, even if I don't take something I thank them, because they could be at home in the warmth, instead outside helping a lonely hiker find a way, so thanks to you and all Angels, who do it for the greater good.
    I always wondered why some hikers would rather miss out on a supper feast than hear a few words with that religious tint you mention, it's not like it'll cause any permanent physical or emtional damage. One of the best meals I've been served was in a home on the NC border, and I do mean served, you sit at a large dinning table and the couple takes your order and waits on you, one of the best meals I've had anywhere in the world, even if I hadn't been hiking. I told a lady about it as I was heading back onto the trail and she would not go because she had heard it had that religious tint. The gentleman only asked for 5 minutes to deliver his brief message, small price for a fantastic meal when you're starving.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++