WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 4 day hike Shenandoah National Park suggestions

Me and a buddy of mine are preparing to do the GA section of the At in August. We are looking for a good place to do a 4 day hike in Shenandoah National Park. We would like to find a section of the AT that is a bit of a challenge where we may be able to hike to a summit. Anyone know the best place to start at to achieve what we are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by jalbright79 View Post
    Me and a buddy of mine are preparing to do the GA section of the At in August. We are looking for a good place to do a 4 day hike in Shenandoah National Park. We would like to find a section of the AT that is a bit of a challenge where we may be able to hike to a summit. Anyone know the best place to start at to achieve what we are looking for.
    You'll want to hike one of the Park's 3 districts. Although the Park's high point is in the Central District, the South District simulates Georgia better because it has more rolling ups and downs. It's 45 miles between Rockfish Gap near Waynesboro and Swift Run Gap. I suggest leaving your car in the South end near Rockfish and getting your shuttle to Swift Run, hike south to your car.

You can get good maps from the PATC.

I would suggest not limiting yourself to the AT. Many of the best trails and summits in SNP are not
    on the AT.

Shenandoah has surprisingly good trip suggestions on the NPS website. I plan to hike several of these trips this spring:

http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisi..._trips_all.htm

SNP has no challange as far as climbs go. One thing you could do is the section just South of SNP. Hike between Rockfish Gap and Buena Vista. 2 excellent climbs and a rougher setting than the park.

Quote Originally Posted by jalbright79 View Post
    Look at the Whiteoak Canyon/Old Rag area in SNP. Plenty of hard climbs, beautiful summits, waterfalls. Highly recommended.
    Last edited by aficion; 03-16-2013 at 08:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Donde View Post
    I would suggest not limiting yourself to the AT. Many of the best trails and summits in SNP are not
    on the AT.
    Ditto. Its open/dispersed camping, so just park and make loops with the trails around you I parked at Big Run Overlook and did loops on the Big Run/Rocky Top, Doyle River/Jones Falls, and down the AT to Blackrock Hut and back. Great Weekend saw 10 bears in 3 days (blackberries were ripened).

Images

A nice loop hike in Shenandoah incorporates both blue blazes as well as the AT

Furnace Mtn/Trayfoot Mtn in the southern district is a prime example, a 20 mile loop that starts and ends with the AT.

Send away for PATC maps.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Concur with the south end of the park as the best training hike, and Blackrock is a nice peak with a view - although posters are correct that SNP isn't much of a challenge. I'd also suggest the area just south of the park for a more intense hike. Climb the Priest, and you'll be fine in Georgia.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lobstah Legs View Post
    Concur with the south end of the park as the best training hike, and Blackrock is a nice peak with a view - although posters are correct that SNP isn't much of a challenge. I'd also suggest the area just south of the park for a more intense hike. Climb the Priest, and you'll be fine in Georgia.
    +1 on the Priest or 3 Ridges depending on whether you go SOBO/NOBO. SNP isn't that challenging as far as the AT is concerned plus camping is severely limited on the AT itself due to the restrictions. Shelter spacing is an issue depending on how far you plan to hike daily. Shelters are spaced about 10 or 12 miles apart. This can make for a very short day depending on your speed and a very long day if you try to double up.

+1 to hikes in SNP but off the AT. Plenty of really great hikes if you don't mind doing loops. Old Rag is a local favorite.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    SNP has no challenge as far as climbs go. One thing you could do is the section just South of SNP. Hike between Rockfish Gap and Buena Vista. 2 excellent climbs and a rougher setting than the park.
    Have you ever hiked up Old Rag? With a full pack? How about up Old Rag, down the other side, up White Oak Canyon? See aficion's post below.

And BTW, the PATC has a weekly hike by a group called Vigorous Hikers. Typical: 17-18 miles, 4,000' of elevation change. Maybe you could join them and while you wait for them to catch up to you, explain how SNP hasn't any challenging climbs.

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    Look at the Whiteoak Canyon/Old Rag area in SNP. Plenty of hard climbs, beautiful summits, waterfalls. Highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    SNP has no challange as far as climbs go. One thing you could do is the section just South of SNP. Hike between Rockfish Gap and Buena Vista. 2 excellent climbs and a rougher setting than the park.
    Really???? man you must be good.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Donde View Post
    on the AT.
    This was going to be my suggestion as well. Frankly, I found the AT to be some of the more uninteresting miles of trail in the park. I would suggest the Big run area and extend it with other trails or move to another area halfway thru such as the area around old rag. There's a lot of great scenery in SNP. Don't limit yourself to just the AT.

++ New Posts ++