WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default Does all this Info Help or Hurt us having a great hike!

Just wondering if all this info we all want to gather before our hike helps or hurts us making the most of our hike? I wonder if this takes away from our adventure? This is a great site to come to to get info and get stoked on the coming hikes, not discounting WB. Just thinking if I did not plan so much from the miles I am going to do to how many meals I'll pack between stops, would just packing the backpack and hitting the trail be more fun? Are we overdoing it with Maps, Spots, Blogs, Laptops, Resupply list points, Cell Phones, and gathering every bit of info we can gather??? Hike On!!!

Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Many Moons View Post
    Just wondering if all this info we all want to gather before our hike helps or hurts us making the most of our hike? I wonder if this takes away from our adventure? This is a great site to come to to get info and get stoked on the coming hikes, not discounting WB. Just thinking if I did not plan so much from the miles I am going to do to how many meals I'll pack between stops, would just packing the backpack and hitting the trail be more fun? Are we overdoing it with Maps, Spots, Blogs, Laptops, Resupply list points, Cell Phones, and gathering every bit of info we can gather??? Hike On!!!

Miller
    Good question. Wish I had a good answer. I love an adventure and will sometimes pull off the road and start walking.
    Course I'm not out for months or even days when I do. A good balance for one might seem way tilted to another. Meeting all types is one of the great things about the trail/ and WB.

Images

Miller
    Depends on your level of experience to begin with, I would think. I didn't take/ am not taking next time many electronics. I've pared down my weight, based on recommendations + my own research. I didn't take too much at face value here, especially after lurking for a while.

Lots of money, plus the wife's permission, helped lighter gear choices. 500 miles (497 actual) experience LONG distance hiking helped, as well.

I know my planning is going to be a bit better next time.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

I think it helps. You need to determine what is information and what is opinion. And when you read opinions, consider the source, and also consider that "your mileage may vary."

Earl wrote in his autobiography that he never could have done the first thru hike without the help of WB and his electronics. Or the roadside trail feeds.

Perhaps it depends most on your personality/style. Planning ahead certainly didn't impact my enjoyment any, but I think that others like (and perhaps pride themselves upon their ability) to just jump on trail and deal with stuff as it comes up.
    I do think that your odds of success are maximized by doing at least a prudent amount of focused planning/prep, and then once on trail by being able to let go of the planning mode approach so as to be able to happily and flexibly adjust to whatever comes along.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Well, it was a bit more of an adventure "back in the day" when all you had to work with was the data book. You had no idea what was over the next hill and the only town info you got was ""G,L,M,H".

The internet and WB does provide a lot of info and advice, which is typically ignored if it is in conflict with someone's preconncived notions. I belive in a way WB is a danger in that it helps encourage those who shouldn't be out there to go and try. There have been several recent examples of that.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I for one appreciate the experiences of others. I can't prepare if I don't know the whats, where, how, when..etc. Just because a person has a steady hand with a knife, don't make him a surgeon.

Learning things the hard way on purpose is foolish. When you enter a strange endeavor that could bring you un-needed pain and suffering it's best to arm yourself with knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    Learning things the hard way on purpose is foolish. When you enter a strange endeavor that could bring you un-needed pain and suffering it's best to arm yourself with knowledge.
    Then again coming onto this site to ask about the bear canister requirement in a certain section in GA, not carrying one, and getting your food stolen by a bear is even more foolish.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

If you've ever done a five day hike then all the additional "planning" you need to do is a) buy your Companion and maps, b) figure out how to get to the trailhead, and c) figure out you first resupply point. Anything else is just enjoyment while you're waiting for the hike to begin.

Instead of typing out some long response, just go with this.....Well said. Its all about just getting out there...
    Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    If you've ever done a five day hike then all the additional "planning" you need to do is a) buy your Companion and maps, b) figure out how to get to the trailhead, and c) figure out you first resupply point. Anything else is just enjoyment while you're waiting for the hike to begin.

Miller
    Information will never hurt you. What you do with it might.

Miller
    It helps. From all the discussions, I have learned that I don't need to plan how many miles I will hike every day or how much food I have to carry. I know I don't have to have Maps, Spot, a Blog, a Laptop, or a Cell Phones (Of the things you mentioned, I would only take a guide book for resupply locations). I will pack cheese (lots of cheese!).

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    It helps. From all the discussions, I have learned that I don't need to plan how many miles I will hike every day or how much food I have to carry. I know I don't have to have Maps, Spot, a Blog, a Laptop, or a Cell Phones (Of the things you mentioned, I would only take a guide book for resupply locations). I will pack cheese (lots of cheese!).

Cheese is good.

Images

I'm planning to put all of 2 days.

Tend to agree.

Just wondering if all this info we all want to gather before our hike helps or hurts us making the most of our hike?

Miller
    HELPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As a result of WB, I will hike lighter and smarter, will make better clothing choices, will know what types of foods to eat, how/where to sleep...the list goes on and on and on!

Miller
    Those of us of a certain age who began backpacking before internet and a massive trail corridor infrastructure did just fine and enjoyed the hiking experience as much then as present times. Now I had the advantage of living near the ATC, reading early books like Ed Garvey's, having a local outfitter, being a member of a few hiking clubs, having proximity to Shenandoah NP - in other words, I took advantage of what was available at the time.

I finished the AT in sections in Sept. '05, having just joined WhiteBlaze the previous February when I first learned of its existence. I can honestly say that I didn't draw on anything from WB to finish my AT hike. But I'm not saying the "good 'ol days" were better - obviously having nearly 6,000 posts, I like WB and consider it a helpful resource. For one thing - something not mentioned in the OP - it's provided networking and contacts with other hikers not just to hear their experience but also eventually to meet in person and (gasp!) actually hike together. And although I'm not a gearhead, we all need gear of some sort and I've benefited from reading others' recommendations and experiences with gear.

Finally, I like the "Other Trails" forums very much - one can learn much about other hiking opportunities.

The answer as to whether the plethora of facts & figures helps/hurts depends on how you handle & process all the information - do you feel so overwhelmed as to be paralyzed with inaction or do you say at some point "That's enough - time to get going?"

I also tend to agree with this. If you want to have fun, plan out your hike to the very last item. Then step on the trail and intentionally throw the plan out the window . The freedom of the trail is one of its greatest assets.

On a related note, there were times that I wished I didn't have AWOL's guide - it was almost too comprehensive. But in the beginning, or for going quickly, it was very nice to be able to plan ahead.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++