WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Clif bars don't think s**t of hikers

Had sent an email pertaining to a sponsorship request, from CLIFBAR, and got a short and ignorant no, they don't see HIKING as a "core sport" obviousl;y ignorance breeds from their HQ. Hiking for me is an endurance race, both mentally as well fittingly physically. Had spent my money, instead of buying little debbie last yr, spending it on CLIFBARS, who know deem me, and all of you hikers alike, non "core sport" wallets. Say Call the company batter them with email, but above all don't let them take our money, all the while they don't even see us as "core sport" athletes.

"
    Hi Evan,
    Thanks for taking the time to write us and for sharing a little bit about yourself. Thank you also for the kind words about the product - we really do appreciate it. I am sorry, but we do not sponsor folks hiking the AT or undertaking similar expeditions. We simply have too many requests for support and have to limit our support to a team of athletes competing in our "core" sports. Sorry – I hope that doesn’t push you to the Little Debbie’s.
    I hope you have a great trip.
    Thanks,
    George
    510-596-6574"

Snickers if the official bar of the AT anyway.

Guess you're going to have to get Little Debbies to sponsor your hike

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Give Mountain House a shout...

Journal Entries
    Images

Can you ass pack a Little Debbie? They are like Twinkies right?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I don't see the problem. You asked for sponsorship and they said no. They're under no obligation to sponsor anyone, and are free to direct their money where they want to. I don't care for Clif bars anyway, but boycotting them over this is silly.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBASTARD View Post
    "Hi Evan,Thanks for taking the time to write us and for sharing a little bit about yourself. Thank you also for the kind words about the product - we really do appreciate it. I am sorry, but we do not sponsor folks hiking the AT or undertaking similar expeditions. We simply have too many requests for support and have to limit our support to a team of athletes competing in our "core" sports. Sorry – I hope that doesn’t push you to the Little Debbie’s.I hope you have a great trip.Thanks,George 510-596-6574"
    Personally, I think their quoted response is professional and perfectly reasonable. You asked them for a favor and they politely declined. Not sure what there is to be outraged about.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBASTARD View Post
    Had sent an email pertaining to a sponsorship request, from CLIFBAR, and got a short and ignorant no, they don't see HIKING as a "core sport" obviousl;y ignorance breeds from their HQ. Hiking for me is an endurance race, both mentally as well fittingly physically. Had spent my money, instead of buying little debbie last yr, spending it on CLIFBARS, who know deem me, and all of you hikers alike, non "core sport" wallets. Say Call the company batter them with email, but above all don't let them take our money, all the while they don't even see us as "core sport" athletes.

"
    Hi Evan,
    Thanks for taking the time to write us and for sharing a little bit about yourself. Thank you also for the kind words about the product - we really do appreciate it. I am sorry, but we do not sponsor folks hiking the AT or undertaking similar expeditions. We simply have too many requests for support and have to limit our support to a team of athletes competing in our "core" sports. Sorry – I hope that doesn’t push you to the Little Debbie’s.
    I hope you have a great trip.
    Thanks,
    George
    510-596-6574"
    Really? You are getting all bent out of shape over this? Good grief! I'll happily continue to be use their product, because my "I give a crap" meter just isn't working.
    Last edited by Tuckahoe; 03-19-2013 at 18:13.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Easy IrishBASTARD. It may not be that the manufacturers of Cliff Bars are anti-hiking or down on hiking. Don't know all the details about how you approached them but it may be the manufacturer has other reasons for not complying with your sponsorship request. Take this from a fellow hiker, not all products, even some products that may be common in hiking circles, may be deemed right for a sponsorship related to hiking by the manufacturer. Really, think about this too. Is hiking as popular, possibly in the same league as say "core sports" such as football, baseball, basketball, possibly even mountain or road bicycling. You should realize the manufacturer has the final say in whether or not a particular sponsorship is to be granted or is a good fit for their product. By you getting pissy about your sponsorship application being denied it might say to that potential sponsor they made the right call in denying you.

Well.. IB, I would encourage you to try to find another way to hike the trail .. Do you need a sponsorship to be able to pull off a thru hike? I commend you for trying with the Cliff Bars. Don't give up on trying other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    I don't see the problem. You asked for sponsorship and they said no. They're under no obligation to sponsor anyone, and are free to direct their money where they want to. I don't care for Clif bars anyway, but boycotting them over this is silly.
    This all day.

I bet they's sponsor RoadSide. They've heard good things about him!

Journal Entries

Companies sponsor people for the publicity. Not goodwill.
    When athletes wear a sponsors logo, they are often paid based on the # of times that logo appears on TV, or in pictures in media, etc.
    That is why the logo often appears on them from front, back , sides, etc. Its their paycheck. They can get $1000 or more each time that logo appears in media.

There is no advertising to be expected thru sponsoring an AT hiker.
    If it was a legitimate speed attempt like Jenn Pharr Davis's, then possibly.

If your just a clown, then your publicity would could actually hurt them.
    They only sponsor top athletes for that reason.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-19-2013 at 18:43.

What kinda hike are you claiming this time?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Companies sponsor people for the publicity. Not goodwill.
    When athletes wear a sponsors logo, they are often paid based on the # of times that logo appears on TV, or in pictures in media, etc.
    That is why the logo often appears on them from front, back , sides, etc. Its their paycheck. They can get $1000 or more each time that logo appears in media.

There is no advertising to be expected thru sponsoring an AT hiker.
    If it was a legitimate speed attempt like Jenn Pharr Davis's, then possibly.
    maybe if you offer to trick yourself out like a NASCAR ride

I hope no one beat me to it, as I didn't read the above posts:

Hiking is not a core sport. In the eyes of the marketers it's a

Poor sport. (If they only knew how much we spend on our sport - especially FOOD!!!).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I don't get this whole sponsor bit. If I need or want something, I buy it.....not beg for it.

Originally Posted by Rocket Jones
    This all day.

Like, totally, dude!

Grow up.

They're in business to make money, and you want them to give their potential profits to you. To what end? That You can Have What YOU
    WANT.

Whiners of America, unite?
    Last edited by Tinker; 03-19-2013 at 18:56.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Journal Entries
    Images

They might sponsor Omarosa- she would do it... she climbs mountains...

220px-Omarosa_Manigault-Stallworth.jpg
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by whatnot View Post
    I don't get this whole sponsor bit. If I need or want something, I buy it.....not beg for it.
    me either. walkin' the AT is no biggie. thru-hikers are a dime-a-dozen

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++