WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Dehydrated Corn Beef

I read a post earlier about dehydrating corned beef from a can. I purchased a can and mashed up thecontents and mixed it with a curing agent to retard bacterial growth. Placed it on parchment paper in my dehydrator for a couple hours, let cool, and into vacuum packed bags. It does rehydrate well.....gonna try it out.

Journal Entries
    Images

Well this is anticipation.. cant wait for your notes.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I'll subscribed.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRing View Post
    I read a post earlier about dehydrating corned beef from a can. I purchased a can and mashed up thecontents and mixed it with a curing agent to retard bacterial growth. Placed it on parchment paper in my dehydrator for a couple hours, let cool, and into vacuum packed bags. It does rehydrate well.....gonna try it out.
    A couple of hours for anything seems like short drying time?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

A couple of hours for anything seems like short drying time?
    Agreed, sounds like way too little time. Most times I find it take about 10-12 hours to dehydrate most stuff I make.

Also need to remember that fat does not dehydrate and can/will go rancid so I would not recommend storing very long before using.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

In my own ignorant opinion I too can only say as Jim Carrey in DUMB AND DUMBER said when receiving the reply from his question "What's the soup De Jour? Uhh, the soup of the day. "Umm, that sounds good. I'll have that." NOT. Sounds like dried up chicken mash. Sorry, it's late. The caffeine has long since worn off.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRing View Post
    Dehydrating would concentrate the nitrites, salt, and other goodies from the corning process. I question adding more "cure". Keeping it in vacuum, cold, and dark will be your best protection from rancidity; and avoid long- term storage.
    I have not dehydrated corned beef, did it come out looking like splinters?

I'd be tempted by corned beef jerky. Should work if the corned beef is lean enough. Dehydrated cabbage might be a bit scary.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

No surprise there Mr Feral Bill. So many times I've seen you bash vegan and vegetarian hikers or those simply wishing to cut down on animal products but flock like a fly to shart with the mention of corned beef. Should we also be surprised that you managed to put in a little barb when mentioning cabbage. What goes around comes around.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

It sounds good, but I'll wait until you've also perfected the cabbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    No surprise there Mr Feral Bill. So many times I've seen you bash vegan and vegetarian hikers or those simply wishing to cut down on animal products but flock like a fly to shart with the mention of corned beef. Should we also be surprised that you managed to put in a little barb when mentioning cabbage. What goes around comes around.
    I've bashed vegetarian and vegan hikers? When? Please show me where. I actually eat rather little meat when hiking, partly because I often hike with vegetarians, partly because it doesn't travel well. And I like cabbage. Just can't see it dried. I may bash fad diets and unfounded health claims, but honestly can't see a problem in the world with going meatless.

I eat vegetarians all the time. They are tasty. Maybe, it's because they are vegetarians? Maybe, bash was too harsh of a word. Maybe, I should have said poke fun at?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I eat vegetarians all the time. They are tasty. Maybe, it's because they are vegetarians? Maybe, bash was too harsh of a word. Maybe, I should have said poke fun at?
    We're good. Now I'm hungry.

That's the spirit. Good sport you are. Can't wait to read one of your posts in response to one of my pro vegetarian posts Now, I'm hungry too - FOR A VEGGIE BURGER!

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Mike View Post
    Great Link...I'm reminded of Kramer of Seinfeld feeding the carriage horse Beefaroni......go ahead and feed your horse dried cabbage as suggested in the ad......THEN STAND BACK!!!!

Corn beef is good stuff. Fairly lean. I think 1g of fat per 2g of protein but not sure. I would agree that you shouldn't have to add more curing stuff, but a little extra dehydration and repacking might help, and cut down weight some.

By the way, to estimate how much you should expect to gain by dehydrating, from the nutrition label subtract off the grams of protein, carbs, fat, fibre and the rest should be water. Stuff like fruit and skim milk is typically 90% water. Lean meat is typically 75% water. Corn beef not sure, but I would guess 50%, so there is some room there.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...n-meats/3489/2

This stuff has 27g protein and 15g fat per 100g, so I guess about 57% water. You can never dehydrate completely, and probably wouldn't want to. It is already salted, which is where the term "corned" comes from, and further dehydration should be enough to boost the preservation factor. When I make jerky for hiking I don't always add salt as dehydrating alone is enough for a few days. Most important thing is to start with fresh meat, and I usually focus on cleaning the surface of the meat by giving it a quick wash with a little salt and rum and whiskey, and then cut it up with a sanitized knife and cutting board and hands, and then dip it in a mix of molasses or honey, thinned with a little rum or whiskey, and some spices and herbs. The sugar also adds some preservative. Honey is particularly effective in this regard. I set my oven to 170F convection, which is the lowest it will go.

Drying alone is the most important thing, along with fresh meat to begin with.
    Canned corn beef should work. The Argentinians and Brazilians have very high standards.

But why not start with fresh meat?

The Insta Cure may have salt, but it is a very good preservative. I do not worry about the salt when hiking and there is only a small amount of cure added. It took about 6 hours at 185 degrees. The meat finishes with the consistency of dry wood shavings. I mixed in about 1 tablespoon of panko bread crumbs, vacuum packed it into one package and placed into the fridge. It reconstitutes well and tastes great on a pita.

Images

I just finished dehydrating a can of low fat corned beef hash. Let it dehydrate for about 10 hours. Turned it over after about 5 hours. End broduct was a fraction of the starting size. Crumbled very nicely. Will give it a try next time I go for a hike.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++