WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default GSMNP-tent or no tent?

Doing my first section hike on the AT April 6th from Newfound Gap to Fontana Dam. Is there any point adding weight by bringing a tent if you're required (by reservation) to stay in the shelters?

Always carry your own shelter. It's smart and safe and the shelters may be full, regardless of your reservations.

Journal Entries

Agree with you, Rocket.
    When I called to make reservations for our SOBO section from Newfound to Fontana last year, there was no room for us at Birch Springs Campsite, so all our reservations were at shelters. The GSMNP rep on the other end of the line said, "Well, now you don't have to carry a tent." I said, "We still have to carry a tent, because having a reservation doesn't mean there will be space." He seemed a little surprised that I corrected him, but he agreed, and acknowledged that we did need a tent after all.

Journal Entries

Common sense says to take an emergency shelter, you never know when you may become stuck and have to spend night away from your intended shelter.
    It doesnt have to be a tent, a small light tarp would be fine, think of it as an emergency shelter only.
    Even if the shelter is crowded, you can sleep on the ground inside in front of the sleeping platforms, still covered by roof. So a good ground cloth might be desireable.
    Just dont want anyone to step on you during nighttime pee runs.

I recall some people that came in late at night to Mollies Ridge , they slept on the ground in the eating area (dirt) with no groundsheets. Their bags were FILTHY the next morning. I figured they had kept on night hiking after they asked where the water was, until discovered next morning they slept in the dirt.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-19-2013 at 23:00.

It's the 6th of April. The peaks in the Smokies are 5 to 6 thousand feet. The shelters are 5 to 10 miles apart. An out of the blue blizzard could dump 4 feet of fresh snow between breakfast and dinner. You could trip and fall late in afternoon and hurt your leg and have to spend the night at the top of Rockey top. You could miss the white blaze and get lost. Sure you probably won't need the shelter you carried. You are risking your life for no good reason. At least bring a light weight tarp that you can rig for a shelter. Wet and cold will kill. Hypothermia is the chief killer on the Appalachian Trail.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SunDancer View Post
    Doing my first section hike on the AT April 6th from Newfound Gap to Fontana Dam. Is there any point adding weight by bringing a tent if you're required (by reservation) to stay in the shelters?
    A tarp is a good option.
    DeerPath

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY
    IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
    BUT RATHER SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING "HOLY CRAP....WHAT A RIDE!"

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    Hypothermia is the chief killer on the Appalachian Trail.
    I am not sure that is true, but I would like to see data for sure.

I am under impression the major source of death is accidents, followed by natural causes (heart attacks, etc)

Hypothermia, is probably the biggest controllable risk however.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Bring a tent. Reservations are meaningless in the park. Many don't have them or end up at the wrong shelter. I've hiked the park 7 times and tented at least half the nights.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Take the tent or a tarp. You will be in the park during peak thru hiker season and every shelter will be overcrowded. Having a permit may help you get inside, but it may require you to convince a thru hiker to give up a space if you arrive at the shelter after 5pm.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

Images

Every shelter will be full. Yes, you have a reservation -- you want to try to enforce it when the weather totally sucks? I'd bring a tent.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

But wait a minute, I thought every thru hiker is chomping at the bit waiting for someone with reservations to make them leave the shelter and tent, regardless of the weather.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    But wait a minute, I thought every thru hiker is chomping at the bit waiting for someone with reservations to make them leave the shelter and tent, regardless of the weather.
    Right, that's why all the shelters are empty all the time along the trail, 'cause no thru-hikers stay in shelters these days. </sarcasm>
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Every shelter will be full. Yes, you have a reservation -- you want to try to enforce it when the weather totally sucks? I'd bring a tent.
    Well I agree and thanks all. It is kind of a dumb question but so is the reservation system for the shelters, which is only enforceable by a ranger. They must be mounting constant patrols trying to get folks to comply and I hear there is a hefty fine if you don't have your reservation on you. Two weeks to go and hoping for a quick snow melt and beautiful spring weather but prepared if mother nature doesn't cooperate. As a wilderness first responder, I would say hypothermia is always a major danger because it sneaks up on you.

They must be mounting constant patrols trying to get folks to comply and I hear there is a hefty fine if you don't have your reservation on you.
    You would think so but in my experience its pretty rare to see a ranger in the backcountry @ GSMNP (or any NP for that matter). Even more so at night, when space conflicts would arise.

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

Take your tent, the reservation system for the shelter does not work with thrus, last year they didn't follow the 4 thrus to a shelter and there were a lot of displaced hikers with reservations. The ones I encountered would not leave the shelter when advised that others had reservations.

Journal Entries

Well I agree and thanks all. It is kind of a dumb question but so is the reservation system for the shelters, which is only enforceable by a ranger. They must be mounting constant patrols trying to get folks to comply and I hear there is a hefty fine if you don't have your reservation on you. Two weeks to go and hoping for a quick snow melt and beautiful spring weather but prepared if mother nature doesn't cooperate. As a wilderness first responder, I would say hypothermia is always a major danger because it sneaks up on you.
    The park employees are more plentiful in thru-hiker season.
    Ridgerunners are in contact with the rangers too.
    So are shelter caretakers

Follow at least the spirit of the rules, and should be no problems
    Blatantly cross them and you might tick someone off you dont want to.

always carry a tent or tarp

always carry shelter.

Journal Entries

It is my plan to hope the shelters are ful so i can use my tent on my thru hike.
    Blackheart

just want to post for those of you that are thinking of leaving your shelter at home. Its pretty much the same across the board that if "they" have to come get you and you havent followed these guidelines, you will probably be charged for the rescue because your ignorance puts others at risk
    http://hikesafe.com/index.php?page=h...nsibility-code

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++