WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Trail Magic 101 - How to Distribute

One month ago I got involved in a thread started by Yellobelle called Advice: re Hosting Hikers. From the banter I "borrowed" a wonderful idea offered by AT Trail Magic about making goodie bags. The concept exploded in my mind, prompting my journal entry "A Great Way to Keep Busy While Waiting", and busy we became. Grabbing supplies and a willing Snacktime, we got to work on our Trail Magic Bags.

As of today, we've completed 50 bags, and have another 30+ in the works. It has been a great exercise designing and creating the bags, but the most fun has been in deciding what to put inside. I'm not telling, but suffice it to say that Snacktime and I have done our homework, and the contents should be enjoyed and/or appreciated...we hope.

Our problem is....what do we do with them? They're too heavy to tote around on the trail with us to hand out to any and all hikers we encounter (thru or section, no discrimination). We don't have the time or a likely local location to "stand and deliver". I imagined we'd have to drop them off or ship them to a distribution point...say the ATC in Harper's Ferry or the Goose Pond Cabin in MA or...well, someplace.

So let's get a conversation going...disregard the whole "you're not supposed to announce a gift" stuff please, as this is a lesson in giving for my grandson and HE doesn't know I'm announcing it. The bags are made and signed and to be given in sincerity by him...but frankly I could use some help with the logistics so "HE" can do this well!

002.jpg
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 03-19-2013 at 23:04.

I wouldn't make up individual bags...I would dump all the stuff in one big box and let people pick and choose what they want out of it. Otherwise, I'll tell you what's going to happen...ounce counting hikers concerned about their pack weight are going to go through your bags, pick out what they want and either throw away the rest or toss it into a hiker box.

What you are doing is a nice thought, but the gift you give may be things a person doesn't want that will add weight to their pack, and out of politeness they will smile and say thank you only to discard some of the items later.

Images

Send them to Bob at Kincora. Let him pass them out to hikers or his trail crews. What they don't want can go into the hiker box.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    I wouldn't make up individual bags...I would dump all the stuff in one big box and let people pick and choose what they want out of it. Otherwise, I'll tell you what's going to happen...ounce counting hikers concerned about their pack weight are going to go through your bags, pick out what they want and either throw away the rest or toss it into a hiker box.

What you are doing is a nice thought, but the gift you give may be things a person doesn't want that will add weight to their pack, and out of politeness they will smile and say thank you only to discard some of the items later.
    Oh, Bronk, I don't think so at all. A hungry hiker is going to eat anything, and be totally thrilled at special snacks! Who doesn't like a surprise, and the stuff sacks are a wonderful idea for containers. I'm not hiking right now, but I'd sure light up if you threw down some of that trail magic on me Hey, I think I see the outline of a Hershey bar

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post

Like I said, we did our homework....very lightweight, very useful...or easily discarded (but not likely). But if that's what some feel they must do, c'est la vie....Snacktime won't know and he is my chief concern. I appreciate your advice, but I think you're totally wrong and that you underestimate the potential for childlike wonder toward a treat that I like to believe we all have inside. You can dump yours when you turn the corner....just please not in front of the kid.

Images

I just took a closer look at the pic. Those are great little ditty bags. Looks like a great sixe for bear bag line/throw sack when done snacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Like I said, we did our homework....very lightweight, very useful...or easily discarded (but not likely). But if that's what some feel they must do, c'est la vie....Snacktime won't know and he is my chief concern. I appreciate your advice, but I think you're totally wrong and that you underestimate the potential for childlike wonder toward a treat that I like to believe we all have inside. You can dump yours when you turn the corner....just please not in front of the kid.
    Yeah, Bronk totally missed it on this one. Everyone, no matter their age, loves getting stuff! I've worked at trade shows for years and it never ceases to amuse me how much pleasure people get out of being handed a giveaway item. You can triple the enjoyment if it's actually something you can (a) eat, (b) use, or (c) just play with.
    I was wondering if maybe you can contact some hostels or forest service folks in the Mass-NH area about distribution logistics? I keep hearing that hikers receive much less examples of trail magic, hiker feeds, etc. so I'm thinking it would be doubly appreciated as well.
    Snacktime has a good teacher

Oh what a neat idea!! Wherever you ship the trail magic bags off 2, they should agree to take pics of the hikers enjoying the bags and send the pics back for Snacktime to see and enjoy.

What a well thought out idea... hats off to the Teacher!! Any trail angel would be thrilled to distribute these bags for you and him, I'm sure!!

As far as Bronk goes... yeah, he pretty much shows his true colors wherever he posts.....

Nice idea Teacher & Snack time, Kudos to you!

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    Oh what a neat idea!! Wherever you ship the trail magic bags off 2, they should agree to take pics of the hikers enjoying the bags and send the pics back for Snacktime to see and enjoy.

What a well thought out idea... hats off to the Teacher!! Any trail angel would be thrilled to distribute these bags for you and him, I'm sure!!

As far as Bronk goes... yeah, he pretty much shows his true colors wherever he posts.....
    Is any one allowed to have athough different than yours without it becoming a judgement call on your part?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Is any one allowed to have a thought different than yours without it becoming a judgement call on your part?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Journal Entries
    Images

what a nice gesture and a great learning experience for your grandson...congrats on teaching him giving and kindness... not everyone was taught kindness when they were growing up.

Journal Entries
    Images

on another note...i do what i can feeding and helping the homeless in my area...i do this with my children, as well, and it is really important for me, for them to learn compassion and kindness and i LOVE doing this... we make goodie bags sometimes....sometimes we just give out food or toiletries...actually gave out almost 100 Christmas goodie bags with my family around Christmas on the streets of the city... and i can tell you that i have NEVER in my years of doing this, had ONE person act unappreciative... manners are free.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by gizzy bear View Post
    what a nice gesture and a great learning experience for your grandson...congrats on teaching him giving and kindness... not everyone was taught kindness when they were growing up.
    kindness.....what a concept!

Manners too?..... Now you're really talkin'!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    kindness.....what a concept!

Manners too?..... Now you're really talkin'!
    i'm gonna be running for office....so i had to go with warm & fuzzy

Quote Originally Posted by gizzy bear View Post
    i'm gonna be running for office....so i had to go with warm & fuzzy
    Shoo in.... Love that scarf!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    Shoo in.... Love that scarf!
    why thanks!!! size small...the XS was too tight on my head

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Is any one allowed to have a thought different than yours without it becoming a judgement call on your part?
    I'm not entirely sure but I have a funny feeling that Winged Monkey and Bronk might be the same person.

Journal Entries
    Images

I'm not entirely sure but I have a funny feeling that Winged Monkey and Bronk might be the same person.

hmmmmmm..... wingedmonkeybronk ?!?!

Who you callin a person?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++