WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

I concur with Blissful

Neo Air and Mont bell...............also, a bit of "hooch" Scotch, Bourbon, etc does not hurt.

After a full day of hiking, going until dark, eat, drink, hydrate...........last Section hike I slept GREAT. Some 10 hour nights.

Nothing much to do after sunset so I crash and wake up early.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by treesloth View Post
    I have wondered the exact same thing, to tell the truth. One way or another, I'd like to somehow 'try one on' before taking the plunge and buying.
    please give me your feedback if you tried it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Mummy Bags....hate 'em hate 'em hate 'em. The problem is I'm a chubby side-sleeper, and the 58" girth I'm allowed at the shoulders is something of a joke.

I'm also ridiculously claustrophobic, so the bag has to stay unzipped. Rolling over is fun and almost always results in uncovering. Oh well, next time I'll spend the extra $200 and get the rectangular bag from LLBean (despite the weight)
    Teacher,

You really need to try out a Monbell before you go with the heavy LLBean bag.

I know their marketing sounds like snake oil, but they really work. I am very claustrophobic also, and I roll around like a rotisserie chicken, and the montbell design really works.

If you get one from a place like backcountry.com you can try it out at the house and if it does not workout you can just send it back.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jcheil View Post
    Why would you want the pad INSIDE of the bag? I thought the main purpose of the pad is to prevent moisture from coming UP into the bag from the ground in addition to comfort?

Big Agnes is down on top and pad slipped underneath with no down.. they describe it as this:

We offer two types of Sleeping Bags – Big Agnes System bags and Traditional Mummy bags. Big Agnes System bags have been available for over a decade, utilizing an integrated pad sleeve to keep you comfortable and warm all night without rolling off your pad. Big Agnes System bags work with our pads or any existing pad you already have, depending upon size and shape. Additionally, we make Traditional Mummy bags without the integrated pad sleeve. These are a more technical and lightweight line of bags that incorporate the same innovative construction and insulation technology we’ve evolved over the years.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    ...people who bend one knee toward their stomach while side sleeping or pure side sleepers.
    I do this EXACTLY, which is why I am bit concerned about the "mummy" bag, but I guess I'll just have to make due.

Likely more sarcastic than you!
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    please give me your feedback if you tried it.
    I just called my local outfitter, it's apparently the ONLY place in Fla that carries the Spoon Shaped bags... and they just got them in (and they're right near me, luckily). I hope to try one in-store this w/e, I'll let you know for sure.
    We are all one big human family.

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    Teacher,

I know their marketing sounds like snake oil, but they really work. I am very claustrophobic also, and I roll around like a rotisserie chicken, and the montbell design really works.

If you get one from a place like backcountry.com you can try it out at the house and if it does not workout you can just send it back.
    "roll around like a rotisserie chicken" - haha. That's me EXACTLY. And the Montbell is perfect for me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    Teacher,

My Brother carries and uses his Spiral Montbel every where he travels, hotel or close family home where there are plenty of other options for him to choose from.

Registered User lazy river road's Avatar

Have you considered sleeping in a hammock and using a top quilt and underquilt. I sleep all the time on my side in my hammock nice and comfortably.
    Half of the people can be part right all of the time,Some of the people can be all right part of the time. But all the people can't be all right all the time

Images

I was absent from WB for a while but in my return I see the new number for hammock to be suggested is quite impressively high.!!!

Images

I have learned to be a very comfortable side sleeper.
    -Quilt
    -neoair
    -food bag, pack, shoes and extra clothes in some combination to make a nice high pillow. Sometimes I even use a rock to lift my "pillow" up.

I use a marmot mummy bag, big agnes 2.5 inflatable pad, and a thermarest pillow. I normally sleep with 1 leg making a 90 degree angle straight forward from the waist (and 90 degree angle at the knee), and the other straight down. However, when its cold, I automatically sleep with both feet near the end of the bag, and about 1 foot apart. When its not cold, I unzip the mummy bag and use it like a quilt, so the elbow and knee that stock out forward are no problem. When it's cold, I want the close fitting mummy for the extra warmth. I tried a roomier mummy, and it's not nearly as warm.

I have a bad hip, and the super thick pad allows me to take all the weight off it when sleeping in a shelter or on hard packed tent pads. When sleeping on grass, or in the forest, a 1.5” thermarest is cushy enough - and much easier to deal with. Inflating by mouth gets old really really really fast.

My Thermarest pillow is full of foam bits, and is tall and supportive. I don't sleep nearly as well on a lumpy clothes bag (which also gets much less cushy after a few hours of laying your head on it). I also couldn't keep my head on the shoes or pack that I used to jack up a thin pillow. (I roll from side to side several times a night and the pillow is 16” wide). It's 9-12 oz I just have to carry...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG10 View Post
    I use a marmot mummy bag, big agnes 2.5 inflatable pad, and a thermarest pillow. I normally sleep with 1 leg making a 90 degree angle straight forward from the waist (and 90 degree angle at the knee), and the other straight down. However, when its cold, I automatically sleep with both feet near the end of the bag, and about 1 foot apart. When its not cold, I unzip the mummy bag and use it like a quilt, so the elbow and knee that stock out forward are no problem. When it's cold, I want the close fitting mummy for the extra warmth. I tried a roomier mummy, and it's not nearly as warm.

I have a bad hip, and the super thick pad allows me to take all the weight off it when sleeping in a shelter or on hard packed tent pads. When sleeping on grass, or in the forest, a 1.5” thermarest is cushy enough - and much easier to deal with. Inflating by mouth gets old really really really fast.

My Thermarest pillow is full of foam bits, and is tall and supportive. I don't sleep nearly as well on a lumpy clothes bag (which also gets much less cushy after a few hours of laying your head on it). I also couldn't keep my head on the shoes or pack that I used to jack up a thin pillow. (I roll from side to side several times a night and the pillow is 16” wide). It's 9-12 oz I just have to carry...
    This is so good to hear because it sounds exactly like me. I will go with the 2.5 for sure and the pillow and it sounds like I'll be able to have some movement in the mummy style bags. I was worried that they were kinda like body huggers - but it sounds like they have some room. And I will go with the LONG version anyways sinze I am right at the cut-off length-wise and they seem to be a tad wider.

Thanks so much everyone!

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Please... give a hammock a try.

Images

lots of good info an systems. Being a side sleeper it did not matter which pad I used they were too narrow and the hip shoulder pressure points were always uncomfortable. switching to a hammock solved these issues for me.

....I am a side sleeper and also need a high comfortable pillow. I have an entire storage container of different types of pillows, but have finally settled on a homemade pillow that weighs in at 6.4 ozs....and only cost a few dollars. I use two pair of water wings, cut them at the seam to lay flat. They fit perfectly inside a pillow case. I have slept soooooooo much more comfortably with this pillow. if you want to get fancy, buy a Walmart XXXL wicking tee and sew it the size of a pillow case.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRing View Post
    ....I am a side sleeper and also need a high comfortable pillow. I have an entire storage container of different types of pillows, but have finally settled on a homemade pillow that weighs in at 6.4 ozs....and only cost a few dollars. I use two pair of water wings, cut them at the seam to lay flat. They fit perfectly inside a pillow case. I have slept soooooooo much more comfortably with this pillow. if you want to get fancy, buy a Walmart XXXL wicking tee and sew it the size of a pillow case.
    Deadeye, I will tell you what, if I can convince someone to let me take a nap in on on the hike I will, but I gotta tell you, I just don't think I am going to like it, especially not having the ability to be "inside" when the skeeters get bad.

And I ordered the Thermarest Down Oillow and a NeoAir pillow which can be put together (neo inside the down pillow) to give me the height, and comfort that I want (i hope). We'll see how it works out. Total weight will be 5.95oz.

Neo-air + quilt or thermorest backless bag.

Actually, though, generally sleep off trail, as mattresses are much more comfy!

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Big Agnes is down on top and pad slipped underneath with no down.. they describe it as this:

We offer two types of Sleeping Bags – Big Agnes System bags and Traditional Mummy bags. Big Agnes System bags have been available for over a decade, utilizing an integrated pad sleeve to keep you comfortable and warm all night without rolling off your pad. Big Agnes System bags work with our pads or any existing pad you already have, depending upon size and shape. Additionally, we make Traditional Mummy bags without the integrated pad sleeve. These are a more technical and lightweight line of bags that incorporate the same innovative construction and insulation technology we’ve evolved over the years.
    I have a BA System bag. It's really nice to place the mattress inside the sleeve. My problem is the bag itself is too big and heavy for most trips so I bring the mattress and use it with my Sea to Summit bag. I alternate between back and side but laying on my side is a hip killer so I have an inflatable pillow that I can wedge against my hip for some extra comfort. Yes - it's all about warmth and comfort for me and I'll gladly hump the extra weight.

The trick (for me) is to get the air mattress not to hard and not too soft.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

I am a side sleeper too with hip arthritis, & low back arthritis.
    I've successfully used a BA synthetic mummy in long with a rectangular foot bottom, shoved a yellow Neoair wide & long into the sleeve. This worked well.

But, I wanted to lighten this system & also carry a Thermorest z-lite long to kneel on (or sometimes my knee will swell when kneeling on hard ground).

So I bought a Long Montbell Super Spiral down bag 15 degree in long. This alone, will let you lay sideways & the stretch lets your knee bend in the bag. Its a very very nice bag.

What I am trying right now, is I put an Klymit inertia x-frame inside the Montbell, & have the z-lite triple folded under my low back & hips (this makes it about 2.5-3 inches thick under my hips yeah!). The Klymit keeps my feet off the ground. I also use an Exped large inflatable pillow the ultralight. I put my backpack under my neck & shoulders to raise up a little bit & the pillow goes on top of that.

For comparison purpose:

I am 5"9" 233#.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++