WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sleep System for SIDE sleeper

Ok, I am a SIDE sleeper. If anyone else is, could you please answer the following:

Are you comfortable in a "mummy" style bag (again as a SIDE sleeper only)?

Since side sleepers tend to keep their knees bent, do you bend them inside the bag or let the whole bag bend with your legs and is one way or the other better for warmth or better/worse for the bag in general?

I must have a COMFORTABLE pillow. I remember reading something here (can't find it now) where they sold a partially inflatable pillow and the other part of it was some kind of padding and you could also stuff clothes in the bottom of it. I do NOT want to just pile up clothes under my head, I really need a THICK pillow due to some disc issues in my neck. Does anyone USE a setup liek this and how does it work out?

Images

As a side sleeper I have never found a sleeping system that is designed for me( I sleep on my side bending one knee toward my stomach). That is the reason I am using quilts instead of sleeping bags. For me the problem was solved by switching to quilts but whatever sail your boats.

Images

Mummy is fine, but if you have the pad inside the bag, you have to bend knees inside the bag, and it gets tight. Get a big agnes system with a rect pad'bag. Camp pillows are small. Sounds like you are looking for more comfort than the trail provides.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutbrown View Post
    Sounds like you are looking for more comfort than the trail provides.
    No, I just don't want to be in pain all the time from sleeping. I spent years that way uintil I figured out that my home sleep position/pillow/etc was what was causing it. I have a rather large gear budget so I can spend a bit more to get an ultralight bag/tent/etc in exchange for the extra weight of a better pad/pillow system.

I am a side sleeper also. I am comfortable sleeping in a mummy bag. I don't pay attention as to how much my legs flex inside the bag and how much the bag bends with my legs so I can't answer that question. I normally have the bag flat and I am turned inside the bag as opposed to having the bag snug around me and turning me and the bag as one piece. I use an Exped inflatable pillow, size large for some added thickness, with a small travel-size pillow case. I like my Thermarest Neo-air Trekker for the thickness as it keeps my hips off the ground when I am on my side. Sometimes my legs slide off the mattress during the night. If I wake up I readjust everything and get back to sleep. I plan on using this system on my upcoming AT thru this summer.

but if you have the pad inside the bag
    Why would you want the pad INSIDE of the bag? I thought the main purpose of the pad is to prevent moisture from coming UP into the bag from the ground in addition to comfort?

The pad insulates you from the ground so you don't lose body heat through the bottom. I believe the BA bag/pads are designed to keep you on the pad rather than you slipping off the edge as sometimes happens.

I'm a side sleeper, and I use a Neo Air Trekker. Thinner pads just didn't cut it for me. I'm still looking for a tall enough pillow that will be light enough and packable enough. I'm planning on trying the Exped inflatable large size. If I have to, I'll add an extra piece of foam and tuck it all inside a small pillowcase.

Images

Pad inside bag means you don't fall off. The floor of the tent does a decent job protecting the bag.

I sleep on my side, using a Prolite 4 and a down mummy bag. Works fine, but I don't pull my legs up very far. I shove clothing in a stuff sack for a pillow, but I don't need much in that department.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I use a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core, inflate it so it sags just enough to anchor myself.

I use a compression sack with my clothes in it for a pillow. I can adjust the compression straps to adjust the height and how soft it is.

I only need to bend my knees a little to maintain balance, so the bag bends with me.

Quote Originally Posted by jcheil View Post
    Why would you want the pad INSIDE of the bag? I thought the main purpose of the pad is to prevent moisture from coming UP into the bag from the ground in addition to comfort?
    No the purpose of the pad is to prevent losing HEAT to the ground via conduction.

I also use a quilt, and an inflatable pillow (plus clothing in stuff sack) for side sleeping.

Montbell UL stretch sleeping bags and a cocoon UL inflatable pillow along with a thermarest 2 1/2" inflatable pad make side sleeping comfortable on the ground.(I have had both of my shoulders replaced, so I need the comfort also.)

Likely more sarcastic than you!
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jcheil View Post
    Ok, I am a SIDE sleeper. If anyone else is, could you please answer the following:

Are you comfortable in a "mummy" style bag (again as a SIDE sleeper only)?

Since side sleepers tend to keep their knees bent, do you bend them inside the bag or let the whole bag bend with your legs and is one way or the other better for warmth or better/worse for the bag in general?

I must have a COMFORTABLE pillow. I remember reading something here (can't find it now) where they sold a partially inflatable pillow and the other part of it was some kind of padding and you could also stuff clothes in the bottom of it. I do NOT want to just pile up clothes under my head, I really need a THICK pillow due to some disc issues in my neck. Does anyone USE a setup liek this and how does it work out?
    I'm in the 70% too, see below. As far as a pillow, I consider mine a luxury item at 9oz (and taken pack space) but my big ol' noggin needs support. Not sure if this will work for you though... I purchased a $20 Sobakawa Cloud Pillow from Walgreens, cut a hole in the side and poured out about 1/2 to 2/3 of the styrofoam beads, sewed the hole back up. Do a good job at this or you'll have a mess later. What you end up with is a flimsy-looking pillow, but on a backpacking mattress, it's quite nice. It supports my head, and I can cradle part it underneath my upper chest for support. It can be folded in half to make it thick as well. It works good for me, but of course ymmv.

I'm one of those weirdos who would spend $1000 keeping my shelter and pack light enough so that I can have some extra liberties for what I can carry bedding-wise. That includes my 25" wide Neoair.

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    As a side sleeper I have never found a sleeping system that is designed for me( I sleep on my side bending one knee toward my stomach). That is the reason I am using quilts instead of sleeping bags. For me the problem was solved by switching to quilts but whatever sail your boats.
    A quilt definitely gave me some freedom with side sleeping too. The downside to that is with all the thrashing I tend to do during the course of the night, a cold evening serves well to constantly sap the warm air out as I do so. I'm looking into the Nemo Spoon-Shaped bags (www.nemoequipment.com), seems like some neat innovation there. Hope this helps some.
    We are all one big human family.

Images

A quilt definitely gave me some freedom with side sleeping too. The downside to that is with all the thrashing I tend to do during the course of the night, a cold evening serves well to constantly sap the warm air out as I do so. I'm looking into the Nemo Spoon-Shaped bags (www.nemoequipment.com), seems like some neat innovation there. Hope this helps some.[/QUOTE]

I have been interested in Nemo spoon shaped bag also but I have just one serious problem with that design. If you look at them carefully it seems they are suitable for people who bend both of their knees while sleeping on their back not people who bend one knee toward their stomach while side sleeping or pure side sleepers.

...Sounds like you are looking for more comfort than the trail provides...
    The trail doesn't provide comfort. You provide your own comfort and it is possible.

Here is another thought. You need the pillow to provide two things - elevation to that your neck is at a comfortable angle and also cushioning so that your head rests on something soft (I suppose the latter also provides insulation too). Side sleepers don't necessarily need more cushioning than back sleepers. But they do need more elevation. The problem is that a thick pillow (to provide that elevation) is also heavy. However, you don't necessarily need such thickness to provide the cushioning you need. So try using a rock or log to help elevate your head and then use a thin pillow on top of that for padding. I've had luck with this. I've also used my backpack, or anything to get the elevation I need. Then my clothes bag on top of that for padding and it works. This is why I carry my fleece all season. If I'm going to carry a pillow anyway, I might as well carry something that will keep me warm around camp, if necessary.

Exped mat and pillow for the side sleeper in you.

Likely more sarcastic than you!
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    I have been interested in Nemo spoon shaped bag also but I have just one serious problem with that design. If you look at them carefully it seems they are suitable for people who bend both of their knees while sleeping on their back not people who bend one knee toward their stomach while side sleeping or pure side sleepers.
    I have wondered the exact same thing, to tell the truth. One way or another, I'd like to somehow 'try one on' before taking the plunge and buying.
    We are all one big human family.

Last year for my thru hike, I used a Zpacks bottom zip bag which is essentially a quilt with a zipper. Zpacks also offers a light weight down hood to be used in conjunction with the quilt. The good thing is that the hood is separate from the quilt, so went for left side to right side, the hood would move independently from the quilt. I also used an exped inflatable pillow which was great!. Definitely worth the extra weight to me. I used a Neoair ultra light pad. I purchased a large size, which is 25" wide. I cut the length from 72" down to approx. 55" and resealed it with an iron as I did not need the full length. This provided a pad from my head to my knees. I used a small closed cell pad for my feet (also used as a sit pad). I'm a light sleeper and slept better with this setup than I did in motels.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Mummy Bags....hate 'em hate 'em hate 'em. The problem is I'm a chubby side-sleeper, and the 58" girth I'm allowed at the shoulders is something of a joke.

I'm also ridiculously claustrophobic, so the bag has to stay unzipped. Rolling over is fun and almost always results in uncovering. Oh well, next time I'll spend the extra $200 and get the rectangular bag from LLBean (despite the weight)

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I do great with my neo air mattress and montbell super stretch that stretches with you. Though now it's called a spiral bag.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Recently picked up a Marmmot Sawtooth long X-tra wide. extra width made a Huge difference in comfort as a side sleeper.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++