WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: REI v. Campmor

Default REI v. Campmor

I will warn you, I have never purchased anything from REI, so I am biased. I have always found Campmor to be less expensive, and offer more items. There is a decent Outfitter here in Columbia, SC, but they are all way high on everything. I have a feeling i will be crushed by the REI loyalists here.

I have ordered from both but find Campsaver.com even cheaper.

REI, Campmor, and your local outfitter all buy from multiple sources. You should too. And watch for the sales.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I like Backcountry.com myself..

... and GoLite but they really blew it discontinuing so much good stuff for 2013..

REI is expensive because of the %100 Guarantee. You either get a good price or good service and you have to pick.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowsirocco View Post
    REI is expensive because of the %100 Guarantee. You either get a good price or good service and you have to pick.

Never had a problem with Campmor either though. They have sent me new gear to replace malfunctioning stuff no questions asked, and dont even care if you dont return the broke stuff.

Journal Entries
    Images

never say never ... I am a huge fan of any outlet. I don't care for EMS ... but still walk thru ....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Fakin the Funk View Post
    I will warn you, I have never purchased anything from REI, so I am biased. I have always found Campmor to be less expensive, and offer more items. There is a decent Outfitter here in Columbia, SC, but they are all way high on everything. I have a feeling i will be crushed by the REI loyalists here.
    i've been buying from campmor for 28 years. lot more selection and better prices than rei

Campmor fo sho

but in all fareness, I hit em all, EMS is but 3.68 miles from my house, but there's only so much I can buy there. REI is about a 45 min drive south, always enjoy going to see the larger store and the REI brand of things.

But Campmor is a 1+ hour drive North, and it never disappoints
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 03-23-2013 at 14:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Fakin the Funk View Post
    Never had a problem with Campmor either though. They have sent me new gear to replace malfunctioning stuff no questions asked, and dont even care if you dont return the broke stuff.
    It is not written down like that though. Campmor says they will help you for one year and everything after that is good will that can come and go depending on who you talk to.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowsirocco View Post
    It is not written down like that though. Campmor says they will help you for one year and everything after that is good will that can come and go depending on who you talk to.
    I ask for a specific person when I call, always blessed me.

Images

I buy gear from both but in the long run have purchased much more from Campmor. Always pleased with their gear. Have not had any need for customer service with Campmor so can't compare that with REI, but REI's return policy for gear is great!

Campmor has been my go to since I was a cub scout.

Realizing that Campmor's main business is internet and mail-order sales, I grew up in Northern NJ and remember when Campmor first got started, before they moved to their Paramus location from a cramped little place in Bogota, NJ. Until 2005, I had family close by so I visited Campmor 2-3 times a year and found their in-store selection and their staff members very impressive.

If you are ever in the market for a tent, go to Campmor's physical location if you live within 150 miles. They have a tent room with - I kid you not - at least 40 tents set up. You can spend hours there just examining each tent, going inside it for the feel, reading all the documentation. No other outfitter's showroom comes close.

Also, Campmor's book and map selection is widespread. Of course there's virtually every map & guide you'd want for NY and New England but you'll find hiking literature (and paddling & pedaling as well) covering all areas of the country.

Images

I buy from both. I buy from REI when it's something I might need to return, something I can only get locally (like fuel), something I want to look at before buying, and occasionally I buy from REI because it has the best price. I usually only buy from Campmor if it's the best deal because to me it's just another online store with a decent reputation.

The Campmor catalog used to have their own generic brand for clothing, particularly fleece clothing. It was dirt cheap. I miss that.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by One Sock View Post
    Campmor fo sho
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Campmor has been my go to since I was a cub scout.
    I buy from both, but I make the 2hr road trip down to the store in Jersey.........they got ALLsorts of stuff!

Journal Entries

Rank according to my frequency of use:
    1. REI: priciest but best quality, stores are clean, customer service is the best in retail clothing /gear industry . Garage sales are great for bargain hunters. Rei branded items are very high quality.
    2A (tie) Campmor: great everyday prices and some good hot deals. The store is a disaster, but they cater to folks like us more so than REI. Lots more variety .
    2B. The Clymb: great deals. Delivery from pony express. Poor variety.
    3. Backcountry.com: no store that I know of, but very best products at great deals.
    4. EMS: like REI without the garage sales, an inferior branded item, no dividend, good stores ok prices. Online content useless except coupons.
    5. Golite: great deals occasionally. Great brand. Little selection. Store is kinda nice.
    6. Campsaver: rarely use but has great deals.
    7. Whiteblaze used gear sales: nothing feels better than climbing in a sleeping bag someone from here has done God knows what in.

When buying from REI you should mentally deduct 10% from the price as you'll get that back next year. Cheaper to spend $100 at REI than $95 elsewhere. Also take advantage of free shipping to store if nearby.

I'm disappointed with the Clymb. Sounded good, haven't bought anything from them in the year I've been getting emails.

The one time I bought something from Backcountry I had to return it - and pay postage both ways coming and going.

For clothes, if you are tall, LL Bean is the only source with more than a few items.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

No one outfitter or store has all the items one could possibly desire and no one outfitter or store has all the lowest priced items either. No matter what some stores like Walmart tell us. I'm a very loyal customer to several outfitters including the mom and pop UL cottage companies but it has to be this way because NO ONE has complete ONE STOP shopping FOR ME. It's not a competition or a this verse them proposition.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++