WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJackson View Post
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread...

I'm torn between an ESEE Izula and a Leatherman Squirt. Both weigh 2 ounces. The Squirt is obviously more versatile and it's what I want, but let me explain my dilemma.

I am notorious at losing knives.

With the Izula, I can get a sheath and lash it permanently to the exterior of my pack. Permanently! Never lose it (maybe). It would probably be lashed (very) high on my shoulder strap.

But, the Squirt is less expensive and more versatile...and prime for me losing it. My hiking shorts don't have pockets, my hip belt pockets are for food. If I did use my hip belt pockets, the Squirt would be at the bottom, underneath everything. The D-Rings on my shoulder straps could be used but they’re practically hidden/inaccessible because I lash my water bottles to my (ULA) shoulder straps using the shock cord.

I could always store it with my wallet/keys in an internal pocket. It won’t get lost that way. But, it is not very accessible. I cannot find a sheath for the Squirt, but I could always get one from Leatherman anyway and just try it...although the Squirt may rattle around a bit in it.

I find myself considering a neck knife, but assuming that would be uncomfortable when hiking because it would be riding under the sternum strap...

So, how do you keep up with your Squirt, Micra, SAK, etc? Thanks!
    I have an ESEE Izula II I'd be willing to part with if your interested. I sold a leatherman squirt a few months ago too lol.

PM if interested

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJackson View Post
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread...

I'm torn between an ESEE Izula and a Leatherman Squirt. Both weigh 2 ounces. The Squirt is obviously more versatile and it's what I want, but let me explain my dilemma.

I am notorious at losing knives.

With the Izula, I can get a sheath and lash it permanently to the exterior of my pack. Permanently! Never lose it (maybe). It would probably be lashed (very) high on my shoulder strap.

But, the Squirt is less expensive and more versatile...and prime for me losing it. My hiking shorts don't have pockets, my hip belt pockets are for food. If I did use my hip belt pockets, the Squirt would be at the bottom, underneath everything. The D-Rings on my shoulder straps could be used but they’re practically hidden/inaccessible because I lash my water bottles to my (ULA) shoulder straps using the shock cord.

I could always store it with my wallet/keys in an internal pocket. It won’t get lost that way. But, it is not very accessible. I cannot find a sheath for the Squirt, but I could always get one from Leatherman anyway and just try it...although the Squirt may rattle around a bit in it.

I find myself considering a neck knife, but assuming that would be uncomfortable when hiking because it would be riding under the sternum strap...

So, how do you keep up with your Squirt, Micra, SAK, etc? Thanks!
    I've carried the same Gerber LST for over 25 years now. At 1.2 oz it's plenty of knife for hiking. I carry a single edge razor blade in my first aid kit that can serve as a back up if ever needed.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Journal Entries

25+ years, that's amazing! And, painful...reminds me of how cursed I am with pocket knives. My grandfather gave my dad an Old Timer pocketknife when he was a boy. He still carries it today. My dad, repeating the process...gave me an Old Timer, which I promptly lost inside of a week. All I can say is i'm thankful he didn't give me the original one his dad had given him!
    hikers gonna hike

Images

Kershaw as part of a caribiner. Handy. I often need my knife when my food bag is not out - this clips onto the outside of the pack, has worked really well for me. Light.

Journal Entries
    Images

I've been carrying the same Camillus demo knife on the same dummy cord on all my adventures/misadventures for 42 years. Cut every thing from detcord and timefuse to summer sausage last month. Works to spread peanut butter too. Carry a small SAK and single edge razor blade in my FAK, too - belt and suspenders.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    I've carried the same Gerber LST for over 25 years now. At 1.2 oz it's plenty of knife for hiking. I carry a single edge razor blade in my first aid kit that can serve as a back up if ever needed.
    I've switched to a Gerber dime which is lighter than the squirt and has been a good knife for daily carry for a couple of years now.

Images

Thanx again to my career perks and pro-deal, I always carry an issue Benchmade AFO auto...
    “If there’s one thing the AT teaches, it is low-level ecstasy—something we could all do with more of in our lives.”

OK, I'll play. Gerber LST, in my pocket at all times. I've been through a few, fortunately they're not expensive. I also give them as gifts fairly often, and my 11 year old son carries one (except not to school, of course).

IMG_0688[1].jpg

I had a Sypderco Pirahna. I like the special serrated edge for cutting nylon webbing.

It is just that a practically never needed it, while hiking or hiking-camping.

Now, I have a "milk bag cutter" sold on eBay for pesky packaging for food.

I used to carry a paring knife in a plastic sheath for "food prep". Now I do all the "food prep" at home.

Everything is "add hot water" or a "triggy fire" for ambiance and reflected warmth held by my open tarp.

I carry these now and a razor blade as a backup. I can't remember when I quit carrying a knife. I mainly use them for opening and shortening Mountain House meal bags. These little boogers are pretty tough. I've opened them up and used them like a knife to sharpen a stick for a tent stake. I was surprised at how well they worked. I don't know how much they weigh but not much.
    http://www.slipnsnip.com/
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

The knife I most commonly hear of being used by thru hikers is the tiny Victorinox Classic. Its roughly the size of your pinky (likely smaller) but hey if they can hike 2000+ miles with it I guess that's all you really need.

The knife I use the most by far is whatever Victorinox or Wenger Swiss Army Knife (SAK for short) I am carrying. I have become quite a fan of them since I started using them for a multitude of tasks on the trail, on the road, and at camp. They just make daily tasks so much easier and they work very well - cutting open food packaging, ice bags, cutting up food and fruits, the scissors are great for bandages or other medical items, tweezers for cacti needles and splinters, can opener if I happen to have the occasional canned food while camping, bottle opener, a toothpick for obvious reasons, etc..

Along with a SAK, I have carried a few larger knives on the trail mostly in the beginning due to inexperience and not knowing what to expect, but I always got a far more use out of the SAK. This progressed from 10oz Cold Steel Bushman, to 1.5lbs Schrade Extreme 9, to 9oz Leatherman Wave, and now I'm just down to a 2.25oz Victorinox "Compact" (weights were listed with sheath/carrier where applicable). I found that there just hasn't been much need for a large knife - I only used them to hack away trail hazards for other hikers, such as "eye poker" branches that overhang the trail at eye level or overgrown cacti that crowd narrow trails near an edge. The Leatherman's pliers were useful on one occasion. Everything else that I used the bigger knives for could have been accomplished with a small knife. Nowadays I just use big knives like the Schrade Extreme 9 for splitting wood (which it does very easily) while car camping or using the handle end to break up the ice in my ice chest.

I have a moderate collection of Victorinox Swiss Army Knives & a scale, so here's a weight listing of some light SAK's that I have carried on the trail in case anyone finds it useful.

Classic (plain or SD) - .70oz
    Ambassador (bigger version of the Classic) - 1.15oz
    Executive - 1.6oz
    Compact - 2.25oz
    Climber - 2.85oz

I currently carry the Compact the most, as it is the lightest standard size model with scissors, and also includes a pressurized pen, needle, nail file, and tiny eye glass/sunglass screwdriver which normally aren't available. The standard models with dual blades are also great - one blade for general cutting while the other is kept clean and sharp for other tasks. I prefer the Ambassador over the Classic as it is larger and only .45oz heavier. There are several variations including glowing scales, small LED's, Classics with retractable pens, etc..

I always carry a CRKT KISS folding knife. It's 2.3 oz and clipped to my pants pocket so I don't notice it. Last year I also got a CRKT PECK knife that is less than 1 oz but it's so small I'm afraid of it coming out of my pocket and getting lost so I don't take it hiking too much. Used to take a leatherman-type tool but realized I just never used it.

http://www.crkt.com/KISSK
    http://www.crkt.com/PECKin-the-Dark-...zor-Sharp-Edge

I always laugh at my hiking buddy who carries a Gerber Machete but when a large black bear was staring us down on the AT in GSMNP last month I was kind of glad he had it.

http://www.gerbergear.com/Outdoor/Ge...e-Jr_31-000759

Ever since is saw the monster machette at REI with the big saw teeth on the top side, I've wanted one. But I'ld have to buy a pickup to hang it the rear window gun rack, along with the matching Rambo knife. Yea I'm a badaxx, well maybe just a wannabe. I also have a 24" wok that's too big to use unless you have a stove with a built in hot water heater burner. It hangs on the kitchen wall.

Victorinox classic- mainly for the scissors. An Opinel no 7 knife for cheese and in case I need to split wood for my Caldera wood burning cone.

I use the swiss army knife key chain version, aside from the tiny little cutting blade, the tweezers can come in handy and I love the sissors; ok it is nice to have a toothpick sometimes too. oh yea it has just enough of a screwdriver on it you can tighten screw locks on poles, etc.

Journal Entries

The last thing i needed a knife for hiking was opening a mountainhouse bag that was defective and wouldnt rip open.

Many hundreds of miles ago.

My sharp stays in ziplock with miscl items in pack. Isually its a dermasafe, although i have brought #11 exacto blade.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 11-19-2015 at 00:24.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hiker9999 View Post
    The knife I most commonly hear of being used by thru hikers is the tiny Victorinox Classic. Its roughly the size of your pinky (likely smaller) but hey if they can hike 2000+ miles with it I guess that's all you really need.
    Yeah, this. no need for any other knife on an AT thru (or other thru's, or even hikes, for that matter). Has small blade, scissors, tweezers, what on earth else do you need? Every-other Blue Moon one might need a small pliers or screwdriver, but somehow one would survive without. Boggles my mind what you see on the trail though, like 4-foot machetes, huge hunting knives, I even saw a sword in the 100-mile wilderness this September. Yikes!

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

i often carry a whole host of miscellaneous knives on a weekend trip for various different reasons. sometimes I even take a hatchet. it depends on the type of trip i am going on. there are camping trips, canoe trips, fishing trips, climbing trips, and there are hiking trips. i see no reason for any knife whatsoever on multi-day long distance hiking or thru-hiking. i dont ever carry one on those trips, but i tend to be a minimalist.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

What about an exato knife or a scalpel?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++