WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Peanut Butter Packets & Honey Packets

Are these Peanut Butter packets and Honey packets hard toget at the resupply points along the AT…..

Peanut Butter Packet
    http://www.amazon.com/Peanut-Butter-Natural-Operator-1-15-Ounce/dp/B003WE8OXQ

Honey Packet
    http://images.bizrate.com/resize?sq=160&uid=1986336040

The most basic option is to get a standard small plastic jarof Peanut Butter (16 ounces) and the basic container of Honey (12 ounces). But with these packets, I could potentiallysave a pound in weight. And of coursethe trade-off would be that it is much more expensive to keep the supply ofpackets going than just buying the standard sizes of Peanut Butter and Honey.

One can get a free supply of the Sue Bee Honey packets atChic-Fil-A and could have them mailed via drop boxes or I could have some in a “bouncebox”. But the Peanut Butter packets, I haven’tfound a source to get these for free per say. But, these Peanut Butter packets are at my local Wal-Mart for $.68 each and they are tastey!

Anyhow, I am thinking these type packets are not plentifulalong the re-supply points???
    I don’t know…..so that’s why I am asking here…….Thanks!

SMSP

South MS Patriot

The PB packets are indeed being sold by Walmart, perhaps not all Wally Worlds though. If you know where you can get these PB packets for free that one ups me. Please let me know how you came about getting them for free.

Here's another option if you are on the PB trail food band wagon. Might even be cheaper too. Some outfitters, like REI, have squeezable refillable wide cap top containers resembling toothpaste tubes. PERFECT for holding PB, jelly, almond butter, tahini, Nutella, lotion, etc The ones I've seen at REI have very good durability and designs too. Quite secure in keeping your PB from getting all over. These squeezable tubes are rather inexpensive. When you run out of PB, on your next in town stop, buy some PB in a small amount and refill the squeezable tube and possibly share some PB with others! You can share a small jar. The company who makes those packets also packages small jars of the same PB often sold in the same places that sell the packets.

I feel I have to say this. The company that makes this PB DOES NOT make it with hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oil. Please, for your own well being, avoid PB and foods containing this stuff. Pure garbage!

I getcha with the Sue Bee free honey packets at Chic-fil-A. I pick up free packets of dry Parm cheese(Pizza Hut, Pizzerias, and Italian Restaurants), Hot Sauce, salt/pepper, red pepper flakes(same places as the Parm cheese), dry Basil(same as the Parm and red pepper places), soy sauce, etc for trail use. I try not being a jerk about it though taking only a few packets at a time and whenever in doubt if it's OK I ask before taking a few packets.

KFC and Popeyes(for biscuits), some convenience stores(for tea) and Starbucks have free honey packets too. Again, don't go in those places with the intention of just ripping them off for their condiments. Buy something else or ask first and even then don't get greedy.

I'm not a huge fan of peanut butter by the jar for the trail, i know I know it's good oz for oz for protein, I just don't care the eat it by the spoonful...now peanuts I like.....however that said, having some small packets of peanut butter for making sauces, now that's a whole nother thing, i may just have to rethink this and start packing peanut butter, i'm sure this will make some of you happy

on a different note, i like sticking frozen veggie medley in the microwave an mixing in some peanuts with it.....good stuffs, very adaptable to the trail w/some dehydrated veggies and peanuts...and fresh cracked black pepper...damn now I'm hungry......
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 03-28-2013 at 01:44.

Jiff PB in disposable plastic tubs (six pack) are sold in all the grocery stores down south here, including WalMart. About one or two ounces in size.

Section Hiker

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Here's another option if you are on the PB trail food band wagon. Might even be cheaper too. Some outfitters, like REI, have squeezable refillable wide cap top containers resembling toothpaste tubes. PERFECT for holding PB, jelly, almond butter, tahini, Nutella, lotion, etc The ones I've seen at REI have very good durability and designs too. Quite secure in keeping your PB from getting all over. These squeezable tubes are rather inexpensive. When you run out of PB, on your next in town stop, buy some PB in a small amount and refill the squeezable tube and possibly share some PB with others! You can share a small jar. The company who makes those packets also packages small jars of the same PB often sold in the same places that sell the packets.
    Now THAT is a great idea, thanks for sharing! I saw those squeezie tubes at REI last time I was there, I think other outfitters will have them too, by the Nalgene bottles. Mmmm, peanut butter...

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

About every major fast food joint has some kind of honey packet. Peanut Butter packet might be a little less common.

But check out Dollar General and super markets. I found small Jif To-Go cups of Creamy Peanut Butter and Chocolate Silk (DAMN GOOD!). They are 1.5 oz cups.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

Hey folks, thanks for the interests and responses.
    I have not found a source for any free PB packets, just thehoney, like at CFA, McDonald's, Popeye's, etc...
    Yea, I have seen the "tubs" of PB by Jiffy aswell, they are 1.5oz. The PB packets Ilinked to are 1.15oz plus they are organic, if that matters.
    The squeeze tube idea is a good one and may be a compromisein cost. Another good aspect of thesqueeze tube idea is that there will be no empty PB packets to throw away, sothat's a plus.
    Have any of you used those squeeze tubes for Honey? If so, how did that work out for ya?
    And the plus side to just carrying the whole 16 ounce jar of PBand the whole 12 ounce container of Honey is that one would have extra food ifone miscalculates their food supply between resupply points. But then one gets the weightpenalty. Decisions, decisions……
    SMSP
    South MS Patriot

If not into the idea of repackaging World Market stores have small packets/containers of food suitable for the trail too like already mixed hummus in 1 1/8 0z size, 1 oz bottles of Olive Oil( the garlic and basil infused one is tasty), 1/2 oz Nutella, little 1/2 oz hard cheese squares, 1-2 oz vacuum packed sausages, 1/2 oz chocolates, etc

Most of the places selling those PB packets, like Wally World, also in the same area sell Justin's brand Nut Butter Packets in the same size. For a change, try some almond butter, chocolate Hazelnut butter, etc.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I've tried the squeeze tubes, better in theory than in practice. IMHO, it's just as practical to carry a small (plastic!) jar of PB. Otherwise, you have multiple packets of peanut-buttery litter. The best no-mess way is to carry peanuts and chew them!

Might try Army Surplus stores - Military used to buy boxes of PB packets (identical to the ones in MREs) a dozen to a box - and we would shove them by the handfuls into our pockets when going to the field for a while. This may still be out there (I retired 6 years ago) somewhere.

Images

I discovered that the Popeye "honey" packets are mostly "honey flavored corn syrup". No wonder they never solidified!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by slbirdnerd View Post
    Now THAT is a great idea, thanks for sharing! I saw those squeezie tubes at REI last time I was there, I think other outfitters will have them too, by the Nalgene bottles. Mmmm, peanut butter...
    Go try filling them, you will soon throw the tube away and carry the jar. Great in theory and terrible in execution IMHO.

Carry a jar of PB and a jar of honey, way less trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    I discovered that the Popeye "honey" packets are mostly "honey flavored corn syrup". No wonder they never solidified!
    Exactly! It's rare to find real honey anymore.

I found some honey straws that were cheep and worked well, untill i found a co-op selling bulk honey and used a small water bottle as a container, this allowed me to bring as much as i wanted to carry, and it was awesome.

Images

Those little packets of PB (and other nut butters) and honey are just so cute. So are the little Jif tubs -- I like those for a weekend hike. But on any longer hike, they are so small as to be almost laughable. Get PB in plastic jars, choosing the size based on how much you like peanut butter. Same with Nutella. Otherwise you're opening 10 or 20 packets to make one hiker lunch.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

If you can shave a pound or two, I would gladly get the small packets of PB at Wally world.

After spending a few days at Shining rock, I brought a small 16oz of PB. Too much weight, too much PB.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++