WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Deydrators remove flavor and aroma but something else happens

I am working with a top round prime 3 pound price of meat and sliced and soaked with Texasbbq.jpg Texas BBQ sauce winner of many awards... So I start the process of soaking for 24 hours (no I am not going to reveal every thing) and throw into the Nesco Dehydrator for say 5 hours,,, oops - total tasteless jerky. Well it happens so I apply a "third layer" and 1 hour.. again no flavor. Turns out Vinegar will evaporate faster than water... so I brush on more sauce a thin layer and fresh crack a white peppercorn as a dust to fix it ... damn perfection...

cant touch this,
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I'll taste test any and all samples. For free, even.

Journal Entries
    Images

funny,,,, Steve a friend of mine Tried the Tabasco Teriyaki and wants to send it to his son who is serving overseas. So I will waxpaper the product and vacuum shrink seal it.

I will have to buy more top round...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

This was a success amongst 10 tasters and 1 professional chef. When you have a small flavor failure - brush the BBQ sauce with a few drops of heat and go back in one hour, reduce the temp below 150 - Yes I was removing the Vinegar.

Woo

What kind of dehydrater do you use? I might in the near future buy one. It would be a great investment I am sure.

Journal Entries
    Images

Nesco at Walmart

Woo

When making jerky you MUST have salt! Salt is what keeps the jerky from going bad. If you just dredge a bit of meat in salt and dehydrate it the end product will last years, if it doesn't get wet.

I buy the cheapest cuts of meat I can find, what ever is on sale and is lean, and slice it in strips of about 1/8 inch thickness. I prefer a sweeter jerky when I am just making it for hiking trips so I cover the meat in a memphis dry rub, using a bit more salt than a typical recipe calls for. I then dry it, if we are going to consume it quickly I allow some of the moisture to stay in, but if its going in the cabinet for a hike in a couple of weeks I dry it completely. It will last FOREVER and has excellent taste. I never uses sauces because of the moisture problem.

Oh, I made a batch of basic jerky, salt, a bit of seasoning, and tossed it on the counter to marinate but then something happened and I had to leave the house. I forgot the meat, left it on the counter in the blazing hot summer for almost 24 hours. By thought it should have been bad, but the salt kept the bad bacteria from growing, which is what it does, and I tossed it on the dehydrator. Tasted excellent!

The key to preserving meat is SALT! I am a culinary anthropologist and spend my life creating the dishes our paleo ancestors used to keep alive. I am also learning charcuterie, the act of drying and curing meats; bacon, salami, sausages, etc. and will be using some of this during my hike.
    If I do not keep pace with my companions, perhaps it is because I hear a different drummer. Let me step to the music which I hear, however measured or far away. HDT (revised)

Quote Originally Posted by Armywife View Post
    When making jerky you MUST have salt! Salt is what keeps the jerky from going bad. If you just dredge a bit of meat in salt and dehydrate it the end product will last years, if it doesn't get wet.

I buy the cheapest cuts of meat I can find, what ever is on sale and is lean, and slice it in strips of about 1/8 inch thickness. I prefer a sweeter jerky when I am just making it for hiking trips so I cover the meat in a memphis dry rub, using a bit more salt than a typical recipe calls for. I then dry it, if we are going to consume it quickly I allow some of the moisture to stay in, but if its going in the cabinet for a hike in a couple of weeks I dry it completely. It will last FOREVER and has excellent taste. I never uses sauces because of the moisture problem.

Oh, I made a batch of basic jerky, salt, a bit of seasoning, and tossed it on the counter to marinate but then something happened and I had to leave the house. I forgot the meat, left it on the counter in the blazing hot summer for almost 24 hours. By thought it should have been bad, but the salt kept the bad bacteria from growing, which is what it does, and I tossed it on the dehydrator. Tasted excellent!

The key to preserving meat is SALT! I am a culinary anthropologist and spend my life creating the dishes our paleo ancestors used to keep alive. I am also learning charcuterie, the act of drying and curing meats; bacon, salami, sausages, etc. and will be using some of this during my hike.
    ......huh.....

++ New Posts ++