WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Riding Greyhound to Baxter - But Should I Ship Gear?

Hey all,

I got my ticket from Kentucky to Maine purchased, and was wondering: Has anyone rode a greyhound before, long distance, with all your gear as your baggage? Or did you ship it instead? Looks like it would cost $30 via UPS.

The only reason I'm asking this is because I would be royally farked if I got to Bangor and they had lost my pack...

Images

You are responsible for transferring your gear during bus changes. Done many cross country trips & never had a problem.

I'd rather ship myself UPS. If you have problems with Greyhound customer service, go straight to the Better Business Bureau. They have the dogs ear.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I've also done it long distance without problems. Keep track of your bags yourself and there will be no problems.

Let me also add that my friend and her husband shipped their packs to Georgia the year they thru-hiked and the packs were AWOL for something like two weeks. So I guess you'd need tracking if you do it that way.

Journal Entries
    Images

I recently took a train to Maine.. no worries... avoid the roaches...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

The train to Maine is surely less insane.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I prefer keeping my COMPACT UL PACK with no gear hanging off it within personal reach on all my traveling to the TH trips whether I'm on train, flight, bus, or boat. I suggest you oversee, even if it means forcefully insisting, all pack transfers, on GREYHOUND especially! Not going to get into personal horror stories about what I've experienced with Greyhound but IMHO I think GREYHOUND has some of the worst baggage(backpack) handlers I've ever witnessed. Kinda sucks when you finally arrive near the TH and you find gear missing from inside your pack or you find it vitally damaged, like a shoulder strap has been ripped off the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I prefer keeping my COMPACT UL PACK with no gear hanging off it within personal reach on all my traveling to the TH trips whether I'm on train, flight, bus, or boat. I suggest you oversee, even if it means forcefully insisting, all pack transfers, on GREYHOUND especially! Not going to get into personal horror stories about what I've experienced with Greyhound but IMHO I think GREYHOUND has some of the worst baggage(backpack) handlers I've ever witnessed. Kinda sucks when you finally arrive near the TH and you find gear missing from inside your pack or you find it vitally damaged, like a shoulder strap has been ripped off the pack.
    Dogwood, so I believe you are saying you keep your pack in the seat with you. This is what I hoping to do. Realize with a full bus it might make the ride less comfortable, but loosing/breaking something would be worse to me.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

++ New Posts ++