WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default Kindle or good ol' books?

Just wondering if people have thoughts/experiences with a Kindle on the trail versus books? As a big reader, I was thinkin the pros of a Kindle is it's lighter and I'd have an endless library... cons obviously being it's one more electronic to get wet. Are books prevalent enough amongst hikers that we can all switch up our reads? THANKS & see you out there.

jingle jangle

I have about 40 books on my smart phone with a kindle app. It's a good compromise of reading and weight.

I'm going back and forth over this, myself. Currently I carry an iPad, which has a Kindle app and word-processing software, because I like to read and write when I'm on the trail. But every time I read a Kindle book, or type something into my journal, I find myself missing the "old school." I think it has something to do with my motives for going out-- getting away from the rip-rap of technologies.
    "We can no longer live as rats. We know too much." -- Nicodemus

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    I have about 40 books on my smart phone with a kindle app. It's a good compromise of reading and weight.
    I've thought of this, Rasty. How long does your phone stay charged?

Quote Originally Posted by RodentWhisperer:1452168
    I've thought of this, Rasty. How long does your phone stay charged?
    I generally hike 4 to 5 days at a time and take two spare batteries and can read two hours if I want to. I've never had to touch the third battery.

I generally hike 4 to 5 days at a time and take two spare batteries and can read two hours if I want to. I've never had to touch the third battery.
    Interesting... I mean that in a good way. Does reading for two hours take two batteries? And do you mean two hours per day (8-10 hours total, using your 4-5 day standard), or 2 hours over the course of your hike?

Sorry for stealing your thread, Jingle Jangle. Rasty, feel free to send me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RodentWhisperer:1452191
    Interesting... I mean that in a good way. Does reading for two hours take two batteries? And do you mean two hours per day (8-10 hours total, using your 4-5 day standard), or 2 hours over the course of your hike?
    Two batteries over five days using the phone as a book, camera and phone. Easily get 10 hours of reading over five days.

paperbacks

I went with an e-ink Kindle last year on the AT. Stashed it in a water bottle sleeve inside a ziplock with extra maps and a tiny clipboard as a stiffener. Did fine, charged it once every week or so.

You won't be carrying any books very long. Paper is heavy and you'll be amazed how tired you are at the end of the day. Weigh everything you're going to put in your pack. Every ounce counts and mounts up.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidDillow:1452214
    You won't be carrying any books very long. Paper is heavy and you'll be amazed how tired you are at the end of the day. Weigh everything you're going to put in your pack. Every ounce counts and mounts up.
    Until I got a kindle app I always carried a paperback. Sacrifice something else for a book.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidDillow View Post
    Not true for those of us who like to read. I carried 2 paperbacks at all times. If I was in town on a Sunday I took the Sunday paper with me to the trail. I used maildrops (won't do that again) and had the latest Sports Illustrated sent with the food.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    paperbacks
    Pun intended - you can't kindle a fire in an emergency with a Kindle (must think "multiple use")
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Book, notebook, pen. Weight be damned.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker:1452248
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    paperbacks
    Pun intended - you can't kindle a fire in an emergency with a Kindle (must think "multiple use")
    I'm pretty sure I could light one up!

Two batteries over five days using the phone as a book, camera and phone. Easily get 10 hours of reading over five days.
    Cool-- by any reader's standards, I'd say!

Warning: noob weighing in (pun intended)...I hated the idea of a kindle over a book I could curl up with in bed, but 5-6 months on a trail, and me trying, trying, trying to cut weight, caused me to buy the paperwhite. Turns out, with it, the waterproof case I got for it, into which can also fit my cell and charges, comes to 16.8 ounces. Not bad, considering I've been known to read a 20 pages of a book, only to think it stinks, and want another. With a 1100 book capacity, I'm happy with the paperwhite.....says a person who has never backpacked...so that that FWIW.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DavidDillow View Post
    Always had at least one in my pack on a hike.

Images

I am switching to kindles. My current fire has limited battery life but a basic one lasts for weeks. Lighter than a single paperback, able to load a lot of books & a buttload of free ones out there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++