WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Leaving Pittsburgh, heading to Springer.

My girlfriend and I will be looking to start our thru hike the first week of may, we were wondering if anybody is heading that way around that time or may know the best way to get there. Any advice would be great but we would really love to find a carpool situation to get us going. We have no dogs, and will obviously be bringing our packs, should be about the easiest lift you've ever seen. We won't even have our trail funk going yet!

Please drop a line if you have heard of anything or know anyone that might be able to help us out.

Unless you luck into a ride, which is a real long shot, there are three options:

1) Fly to Atlanta
    2) Amtrak to Gainsville or Atlanta
    3) Bus to Gainsville or Atlanta

Call for shuttle from Gainsville or Atlanta. I would guess the bus would be the least expensive option, but it's a long ride. You'd probably have to go to Philly to get the train, so that option is probably not too good. It's also expensive if you don't book a seat a month in advance. Flying is quickest, but a hassle with a pack and also expensive unless you gamble on getting a last minute discount seat.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Default Leaving Pittsburgh, heading to Springer.

This is completely off topic but I was born and raised in Pittsburgh and am a huge Steeler fan. May I suggest you bring a terrible Towel along for you summit pic.
    RIAP

I was unsure which topic I should put this into, The Terrible Towel will probably be making an appearance all along the trail. I know it's a very long shot I just want to try and avoid paying for the flights. Buses cost just as much.

It is only a 260 mile hike from Mckeesport to Harpers Ferry on the Great Alleghent Passage and the C and O Canal. But I guess you want to thru hike northbound and not do roundtrip section hike.

Megabus to DC. 60 miles to the trail on the C and O Canal.

I belive they are looking to go to Georgia.

Images

Amtrak. Capital Limited from Pittsburgh to Washington DC. Then the Cresent to Gainesville GA, Hiker Hostel from there to the trail.

I'm from Pittsburgh and heading down soon too myself. (April 18)

I am flying down to Atlanta ($124 priceline), then taking shuttle from the rail station to the hiker hostel, with a shuttle to springer the next day.

I carry my "Terrible TatTowel" everywhere I go and it weighs nothing. tat.jpg

It is a 10.5 hour drive, maybe ask a friend or relative drive you down, check your prices on public transportation versus the cost of driving a car, meals and a motel stay for your driver.
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by 4Bears View Post
    It is a 10.5 hour drive, maybe ask a friend or relative drive you down, check your prices on public transportation versus the cost of driving a car, meals and a motel stay for your driver.
    My atlas says 686 miles between Pittsburg and Atlanta, which is close enough for estimates. Figure an average 20 mpg car and $3.60 gas = $124 one way. Say 250 round trip. Plus a hotel room for say another 100. Plus meals, say another 50. So, that would run about $400 to have someone drive you.

If you do an advance purchase right now for Greyhound, you can go for $89.00 each. (and takes 29 hours!) A pick up and stay at Hiker Hostel is $75.00each. So, for the two of you your looking at $328.

Might be worth bribing a friend to do a road trip...

++ New Posts ++