WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Default Wet weather gear for dogs

Does anyone out there have some kind of rain gear for their dog?

I have a Husky and she's a champ in dry weather, snow and ice. But rain tends to get her soaked and while she doesn't complain I would worry about her if it was both very cold and rainy. She wears a pack and while she can shake her head and rump she can't really shed that middle section water. I've read about others using a pack cover for the pack and this protects the middle of the dog and pack. Any other ideas or things folks use?
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Images

I bought a dog coat pattern @ Joann's. Planning on sewing up both a rain coat & a flannel floor length robe for lack of a better term to be used with the sleeping mat I made him. A two part sleep system for our cold weather camping.
    Sorry not much help as my dog has a thin short hair coat.

Images

Default Dog rain gear

Dover Saddlery has a great collection of useful dog blankets (unlike the ones pet stores sell). Most are insulated, but they have "turnout sheet" for about fifteen bucks. I don't have it, but have thought about getting one (have warmer rugs for my pups) . Can order from them online (but if you have a store in area no shipping)

413tif3ANcL._SX300_.jpg
    I think will will use a Zlite pad in our vestibule with this. Its fleece lined!

Husky's are a tough breed - do you really need rain gear for them? I have a lot of experience working with dogs and they adapt rather well to Mother Nature. I admit that I don't have experience with the packs - not sure if that is an issue.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by skell23 View Post
    Husky's are a tough breed - do you really need rain gear for them? I have a lot of experience working with dogs and they adapt rather well to Mother Nature. I admit that I don't have experience with the packs - not sure if that is an issue.
    Husky's are definitely a tough breed and ours is perfectly comfortable bedding down in the snow, provided she's still wearing her winter coat. When it rains she's really good at keeping the water off her face, neck and rump - shaking it off occasionally. But I also notice that water gradually works it's way down to her undercoat and she gradually gets wetter throughout the day. If it's pouring rain or a strong rain (and we're actually hiking in it) it happens much faster. What concerns me is that sometimes I have noticed her shivering and I'm wondering if I can help prevent her undercoat from getting waterlogged.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

I have not tried any rain gear for dogs but when I googled it several options can up, some inexpensive.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I've got a husky, too, and when he was young he preferred sitting in the sleet to going inside his doghouse. His coat is very thick and rain doesn't reach this skin. But I don't do extended hikes with him, either. I'd suggest just toweling him off when you are done hiking for the day and making sure he has a sheltered place to spend the night.

Journal Entries
    Images

I have purchased several rain/snow cheap coats... They leave a lot to be desired as they are for day hikes... I have not found a good solution to avoid a wet dog.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

I have purchased several rain/snow cheap coats... They leave a lot to be desired as they are for day hikes... I have not found a good (long term) solution to avoid a wet dog.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I just bought this today:
    http://www.rei.com/product/807839/ru...ser-dog-jacket
    but have not used it yet, of coarse.
    I like that it seems to offer pretty good coverage, especially on the belly. It's thin, but I think it will give a little extra warmth, and some protection from water and mud. Anything to keep her and the tent cleaner! The fabric is like a "soft shell" jacket. I guess she could wear it under a pack too.

I have a 12yr. old Akita. She has a coat like a husky. It's not oily, so doesn't shed water like a Lab.
    I never thought I would put a coat on my dog, but she got cold (shivering) this past winter hanging around camp (not wet). I find that I will tend to avoid really heavy rain. I never thought I would see the day when she got cold! She "blew coat" at the end of February so wasn't "in coat".
    Now that she's older, I take more precautions, or maybe I feel compelled to over-spend money on her???? I'm not sure.

Images

I used to take my first husky hiking on section hikes. He HATED to get his feet wet, and would go off-trail to avoid walking through puddles! (Snow was never an issue - he was a husky, after all!) But I got him a raincoat to wear under his pack, and this did help to keep him from getting completely soaked. It was a cheap one from the local pet store (cheap enough that you could buy a couple of them and replace them as they wore out). The raincoat (in conjunction with a small, cheap towel) kept him fairly dry during the day AND overnight, and also served to keep MY SLEEPING BAG dry - if he got too wet, he would dry off by rolling on my sleeping bag...not a good thing on an extended trip! (He also had his own wool "sleeping pad" - a square of heavy wool fabric - and he loved it...good, cheap insulation between him and the ground or the shelter floor.) Enjoy the hike!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Nails View Post
    I just bought this today:
    http://www.rei.com/product/807839/ru...ser-dog-jacket
    but have not used it yet, of coarse.
    Dirty Nails- have you had a chance to use that particular jacket? If so, what did you think? Also, did you by chance use it under a dog pack?

Journal Entries
    Images

Make a small tarp and use it as a saddle blanket for the pack might work. Make a pattern outta plastic drop cloth or tyvek.

I used a Ruffwear Cloud Chaser soft shell jacket for my boxer/pitt mix to help keep her warm and dry. May be a bit overkill for a husky though, but it was effective in wet/snowy weather for a short-haired dog.

++ New Posts ++