WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Osprey Atmos 65 Backpack

Hello to all,

If this is the wrong forum to ask these questions please let me know which is more suitable.

I'm planning on doing a section of the AT from Springer to Cligman's dome. If I could go longer I would.

I purchased an Oprey Atmos 65 L backpack. I have taken it on a couple of over nighters and long hikes packed with weight just so I can get a feel for the pack. I bought it since it was lighter in weight but more importantly, I was more comfortable with this than the REI Crestrail, and the Gregory Palisade that they had. I wish I could of compared it to the Baltoro but they did not have any in stock.

Here are my novice observations, and please let me know your opinions. All are welcomed and appreciated.

1) I purchased a 3L Opsprey H. Bladder knowing that I'm going in one of the hottest periods of the year ( mid June). I sweat like a pig so I wanted to make certain I was hydrated. In using this it greatly diminishes how much I can pack. It has a large protrusive cap that just gets in the way.

2) In response to this I have tried the side pockets and tried putting 20oz Gatorade bottles in them. When the pack is pretty full it is near impossible to get them back in the pockets with the pack on.

3) The back pockets are negated as well for the same reason and I cannot get anything of value in there.

I'm being very judicious in what is going in there and I'm buying redundant gear, which I cannot afford, so I can make pack size and make this work. I bought a summer bag, and will get a trekking pole tent that is more lighter than the 4 pounder I currently have in a compression sack the size of an Ostrich egg. BTW if anyone has one for sale I would love to hear it. Long story short. I'm being picky, but hopefully not stupid of what goes in there. Unfortunately I have more to purchase such as emergency kit not to mention food.

I've been to REI several times and they gave me alternatives but It is 6 of one, half a dozen of another.

Is what I listed a design flaw of the pack? Is it because of the S curve of the suspension?

Any thoughts are more than welcomed. I realize that perhaps a more experienced person might not have these problems.

Thank you again!!

Best regards,
    Floyd

Journal Entries

Not a design flaw, just when you try to put 100oz into a pack, any pack, it will quickly reduce the space. Sounds like to me, for a few nights/days out you are putting way too much in your pack since it is 65L. I use an Atmos 65 for long section hikes and have had no problems like you describe, but my base weight is 19.9 lbs. and I travel with a lot of creature comforts. The side pockets work better if you remove the side compression straps as they really limit the space in the pockets and really do not help much with the pack.
    Tridavis

Images

Most here (not all) will tell you that a 65L is larger than necessary. Mostly because of the nature of the AT allows for frequent "refill" stops. But, I think this is s great size if you were to have only one. Large enough for the multi day excursions but can still be used for an overnighter. I have the Gregory baltoro in that size and can't say enough about it even though it is on the heavy side. The way it fits and rides under weight can't be matched for me. Of course packs are like shoes; they fit everyone differently. You are field testing it which is good. Rei has an incredibly liberal return policy which means anytime for any reason. If the atmos doesnt feel right take it back, explain your concerns and see if they can adjust the fit better or exchange it and try again. I am surprised they didnt have my pack there. Should be quickly able to get one in stock. Do not settle until you find the one that fits best and comfortably carries your stuff. They should also be able help you pack properly if you bring your gear with you, which everyone here will recommend. Happy hunting!!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

I have a 65 Atmos too. A Camelbak bladder fits much better.

Images

Good advice from Tridavis on the compression straps. I also found the straps on the bottom to be more a hindrance than help.
    Regardless of a few details, like those mentioned above, I still find the Atmos 65 to be the most comfortable and versatile pack I've ever used. I used it on two GA-ME thruhikes and countless section hikes and other adventures.

Starting at Amicalola Falls my pack, fully loaded with 3 days food and a liter and a half of water, weighed 34 lbs the 1st time and 32 lbs the 2nd. The pack is a delight to carry with that weight. I've had two back surgeries and the Osprey gives me no problems.

You may be packing too much stuff in there. It's amazing how little of it you really need. That's coming from a reformed backpacking gear addict. I used to have the latest this that or the other jammed into every available space before I felt prepared to brave the wilds. It was only took a couple painful years of hiking trips with too much stuff to make me realize that less is more. I hike because I love to hike so it's imperative to reduce or eliminate pain and suffering. Pain and suffering are not fun.

Back to the Atmos. I put my tent in the bottom sleeping bag compartment. I put a contractor trash bag in the main compartment and, after putting the bladder in its sleeve, load the bag with my sleeping bag and Neoair, followed by my clothes bag and montbell thermawrap topped off by my food bag. I twist the bag closed and top it with a 130g Frisbee. One side pocket has jetboil, fuel & coffee cup. The other has raingear, hat and gloves and pack cover. A 16 oz bottle of gatorade on the right bottom, 4 liter platypus water purse on the left. A ziplok bag with tp and wipes topped by a pair of crocs in the back stretchy pocket. All the rest in the brain up top and off I go. That's how El Flaco rolls.....
    AT x 3
    GA-ME 2010
    GA-ME 2011
    ME-GA 2013

Images

I have this pack, I have removed the top attachment, mainly because it's such a pain to have to unbuckle both straps just to get in it and then button it back up. Also it sheds some weight. Most hikes I do don't go over 3 or 4 days when I can get resupply of food and I can fit everything in without that top piece.

The suspension is very comfortable, I love my pack, it's very heavy for AT hiking though. I believe the 65 Large frame is 3 lbs 7oz
    You're not going to live forever
    Find this to be true
    Use your past as a guide
    While you're alive
    Live

Images

Now I fully read your post after replying the 1st time.

I would suggest ditching the bladder, go with two big 1 Liter smart water bottles, they are long and narrow and fit very easily in the side pockets. If you need a third liter get a 1 liter blatter for back up for the longer sections, you can stuff it in the outside pocket on the back if you have to.

Use the seperation piece inside the pack for your sleeping bag. I would also pack your rainjacket and tarp, stuff it outside the pack in that stuff nylon part on the back of the pack, if it rains and you pack up in the AM don't stick that wet tarp in your bag with everything else. Also get a pack cover and use a trash bag or trash compactor back as a liner.

It only takes one time packing up after a rain to realize not to stick your tarp in the pack with everything else or your rain jacket.

You just need to play with your pack, experiment with it and go on 1 or 2 mile hikes around your home to get the feel right. You will be adjusting everything as your on the trail from springer to neels gap anyway.

I hiked the first 30 miles on trail back in July of last year, the hottest week of the year in Ga, mid to upper 90 days and I learned so much about what I needed and didnt need in my pack.

Good luck. By the way I too am a fairly novice hiker so don't take any of my advice as "expert" advice. I still use an MSR Sweetwater (11oz) to filter water.
    You're not going to live forever
    Find this to be true
    Use your past as a guide
    While you're alive
    Live

Hello,

Thank you to all.

Here is what I have or have had in the pack

Sleeping Bag Compartment Kelty Cosmic ) bag Compressed with a sea to summit event sil 3.5 ponds.

Hello, Sorry about the above post.....hit wrong button!!

Thank you to all.

Here is what I have or have had in the pack tuesday for 11 miles

Sleeping Bag Compartment Kelty Cosmic ) bag Compressed with a sea to summit event sil 3.5 pounds.
    Big Agnes Aircore insulated 1.8 lbs

In main compartment:

Passage 2 tent compressed 3.1lbs
    Clothes 3 wicking shirts and three swim trunks with 3 pairs of socks in ditty bag 1.5 lbs.
    For weight on the last hike tuesday I took two ditty bags and filled them up with clothes just for weight.
    Tent poles, I still had some room where the sleeping bag goes so I had them running lengthwise all the way down. Takes very little room.
    3L bladder 6lbs.
    Food in Granite Gear event sil. Wrong bag but I figure I should use it. 2 packs of ramen noodles, 1 orange, apple and raisins.

Side pocket where things get very tight.

MSR pocket rocket, small fuel cell aluminum pot, lighter, matches.

other side pocket, nothing.

Mesh pocket nothing as well.

Brain: frog tog ultralight jacket and pants 1.5 pounds
    Black diamond headlamp
    Handsanitizer
    As mentioned before. I still need to get some more equipment. Will replace 0 bag with 40 degree bag I just got at REI. Much smaller 1.5 pounds.

I listed all the things to verify if I was doing something wrong. When I went to REI a few mentioned I should carry less water in the Bladder and get a compression bag for clothes as well.

I will loosen the compression straps on the side to see if that makes a noticeable difference.

As a newbie I'm always concerned about running out of food and water, and I won't lie to you, hanging a bear bag. I guess these are the things that experience teaches.

I have no problem with the pack being comfortable just fitting things in it.

Thank you all for you help........ and please keep it coming!
    Best,
    Floyd.

Spirit bear and all,

Thank you for all of the good suggestions.

I will try the smart water bottles, as well as perhaps not filling the bladder as much. I have been walking around the neighborhood doing a mile or two. I think they are about to run me out!!!!
    Thank you all for suggestions... please keep them coming. I'm really glad this website exists.
    Best,
    Floyd.

Journal Entries
    Images

I use the Sam's Clubs 20 oz bottles or the poweaide 32 oz. in the side pockets. Know what ya mean with the gateraide. Also the back pocket I use for my rainjackets and pack cover.
    The ride is nice.

Journal Entries

Back to the Atmos. I put my tent in the bottom sleeping bag compartment. I put a contractor trash bag in the main compartment and, after putting the bladder in its sleeve, load the bag with my sleeping bag and Neoair, followed by my clothes bag and montbell thermawrap topped off by my food bag. I twist the bag closed and top it with a 130g Frisbee. One side pocket has jetboil, fuel & coffee cup. The other has raingear, hat and gloves and pack cover. A 16 oz bottle of gatorade on the right bottom, 4 liter platypus water purse on the left. A ziplok bag with tp and wipes topped by a pair of crocs in the back stretchy pocket. All the rest in the brain up top and off I go. That's how El Flaco rolls.....[/QUOTE]

Ditto..... except I use a 32oz. Gatorade.
    DeerPath

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY
    IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
    BUT RATHER SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING "HOLY CRAP....WHAT A RIDE!"

I really liked this pack when I tried it but the top of the pack would hit my head no matter what I tried. Anyone else have this issue? There also seems to be so many bells and whistles on this pack. Its almost confusing to look at!

Images

The Atmos is a decent pack. You might see if you can fit the water bladder inside the trampoline suspension -- between your back the the outside of the pack. That way it doesn't take up room inside the pack. But I would just take two 1-liter bottles in the side pockets, as there is usually plenty of water on the trail in June.

REI is a decent store but not really for lightweight long distance backpacking.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Hello to all again,

I tried fitting the hydration bladder inside the suspension. I wish I could say ti works.

My daughter and I took out everything and weighed what I have. Including the pack and 3L of water it comes in at about 19lbs give or take. Please keep in mind I still need to get my personal items such as toiletries and emergency kit together. The load will lighten up more when I get rid of the passage 2 tent and I'm looking at the six moons scout 34oz. I hope that should help.

I tried some various mater bottles in the side mesh pockets. I cannot get my arms back there. I have normal range of motion. I cannot reach them. So I really don't know what to do about that.

Any suggestions are very welcome and helpful for a novice.
    Best Regards,
    Floyd

Images

I have an Atmos 50 which I love and works for my gear. It has been on quite a few adventures and I have the same issue as you with the side pockets/water bottles. I can't get my arms back there to reach the bottles, either! I totally understand, and have good range of motion, too. Very annoying, yet using the hydration sleeve with a 3L bladder really diminishes interior pack space; I get that, too.

Unfortunately, there is no good solution, except get another pack where you can reach the bottles (nice choice buying from REI), or taking the pack off to get a few minute's break when you need water. I drink a lot of water, too, and understand this might drive you crazy taking the pack off and on. Often, I only take off one strap, twist the pack around and grab the bottle, that way I don't have to totally take off my pack for a drink. The last choice is if you're going to use the bladder, stick it in the space between the pack and the mesh, as has been already suggested by another poster to help with pack volume.

I'm sure you'll get some pack volume back when you get some of the new gear. Double check the amount of clothes you're carrying - 3 shirts/3 shorts might be a bit much. Maybe just one back up of each besides what you're wearing to hike in? I get the 3 pair of socks; can't baby your feet enough! Of course, how much you end up carrying is a personal choice, ultimately you need to sort out what works for you and your style of hiking.

Virginia Tortoise

I have an Atmos 65 as well. It took me awhile to realize that the straps from the top of the pack clip to above the side pockets and not the bottom of the pack. Also, if you use two nalgenes in the side pocket, they are difficult to get to. I had to have someone help me when I used Nalgenes so I mostly used a Camelbak inside the mesh. Other than these two quirks I have used this pack for weekend hikes and long distance hikes and have been pleased with it.

Mike and Mama Bear,

Thank you for your input, and your advice. Getting a new pack has crossed my mind. REI does have a great refund policy, and I may use it, but I really feel guilty if I don't explore all options first. I hate to sound like a goody-goody, but I feel like I'm taking advantage, plus I really, with all the griping I'm doing, like the pack, and I think the suspension is a boon for summer trips. I do intend on doing the entire AT, it will take years, but since I teach the only time I can do it is in the summer.

Mikec I tried putting the Osprey 3L bladder between the suspension. The handle and the cap get in the way. Can I ask how big of a bladder are you using with the Camelback? I'm clipping the straps correct way, I have not trusted myself so I have watched every osprey video on youtube.

Side note, I repacked my pack and placed the new Marmot 40 degree bag in the compartment. There was enough room to put the passage 2 tent in its compression bag in there as well. This opened up more room.

I also tried my Cat stove, sorry alcohol stove, made from a cat food can. Works great. I will use this and a windscreen instead of the pocket rocket, and its canisters. I imagine going from a 41/2 pound tent to a 34 ounce will pack smaller, and yield more room.

Mama Bear I will rethink the 3 pairs of shorts and swim pants.

Thank you,
    Floyd

I do short section hikes so i don't have to worry about nalgene bottles getting scuzzy on a long hike. my pack predates water bottle pockets on the side (which i could never reach either) and bladder pockets inside. i found a pouch that Velcros over the waist belt and keep one nalgene there for drinking and my other in a side pocket. the pouch is plenty big enough to put any bottle you want in there and it is handy to take a drink as it sits on the back of my hip. if the pack i am using does not have a wast strap that fits the velcro, i put it around the bottom of the shoulder strap where it hooks into the knapsack/packframe (am i dating myself ).

I have done Springer to Harper's Ferry with this pack and love it. However, it has a lot of bells and whistles to get used to. I second using a smaller Camelbak to be able to drink while hiking. I use two 1 liter platypus bottles on the side pockets for when I stop.
    My base weight is 22.8 pounds, but I like to have "my stuff", including a pound of camera. This pack wears so well I can carry up to 35 pounds and not really feel it. (I am 69 and weight 150)
    You will work out any problems after a few days on the trail.
    Enjoy the trip.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++