WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default New mexico water supply in july

I've been sitting on this question for a while now and I guess now's as good a time as any to ask. If I start in new mexico in early july should I be worried about dried up water sources? To my knowledge you could go 15 miles only to find a dry well in june let alone july.
    I'm not really the 30 miles per day type and I keep hearing about droughts in that area.

In much of NM, especially in the south, most of the water available to hikers is artificial - cow tanks and wells. If the drought is bad, the cows will be off the range, and the wells will be turned off/disabled. We ran into that in April of 2006.
    If you see fresh cow flops, there is water nearby. If not, the well is probably not working.

July is generally the beginning of the rainy season in the southwest, so you may get some precipitation to fill up the stock tanks, but that water can be pretty nasty.
    i.e. http://spiriteaglehome.com/CDT06%20i...ock%20pond.jpg

In the Gila there will be water, but flash floods may be a problem during rainy season.

Temperatures in the southern part of the state and around Ghost Ranch are likely to be in the '90's or above.

Anyone else have any input on the subject?

Images

Well, I live in southern New Mexico and I hike the Gila-area of the CDT and you shouldn't have trouble getting to the Gila river for water. Be advised though, it's a dry dry place out here, and not many folk visit the hiking trails, especially the southern CDT. Sorry if this wasn't much help.
    No worries; we're here to learn.
    My ink trail.

I have lived in Southern NM for 40 years and hiked a lot of it. We are in the middle of the worst drought in 100 years.

The good news is that July is when we have our "Monsoon" season with the most rain. So it might get better.

A lot depends on where you are going. The higher elevations may have springs and as, Rayo said the Gila will be ok.

I hope when you say that you are starting in July you do not mean starting at the Mexican border going north. That would be extremely hazardous. It might be doable if you can arrange a lot of water drops. Otherwise don't do it. We will have to go find your body. I will be hiking the AT or I would try and help out. If you try next year let me know. f

I am really serious about the danger. Lots of people die every year trying to make it.

If I start in new mexico in early july should I be worried(concerned) about dried up water sources?

You betcha!

Anyone else have any input on the subject?

Just what I've stated already in other threads you started. I totally agree with what everyone else has stated in this thread already.

Thanks for the info, that was an important bit of information I needed. Southbound is starting to sound more appetizing, are there any acclimatization issues starting in montana? I pretty much live at sea level where I am right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Timinator View Post
    Thanks for the info, that was an important bit of information I needed. Southbound is starting to sound more appetizing, are there any acclimatization issues starting in montana? I pretty much live at sea level where I am right now.
    THANK YOU! That was the most level headed post you've made so far. UNDERSTAND, I am not and never was trying to get you to hike my hike. I was trying to get you to understand the increasingly deeper hole you were digging for yourself. Hiking doesn't have to any harder than it already is.

I don't know how far you are in your CDT research and understanding of it but the CDT IS NOT, I repeat, IS NOT ALWAYS a well marked/signed trail. It IS NOT entirely complete. The CDT is not a continuous well defined well blazed well signed trail where the tread is always obvious nor are there many people who thru-hike it each yr. The CDT has no where the level of socializing as the AT or CDT. There were times in Montana I DID NOT SEE another human for 4-5 days in a row! It involves cross country route finding with NO TRAIL at times. Even where signage does exist it can typically be far and few between blazes and signs. Adding to the potential logistical complexity of thru-hiking the CDT is there are MANY MANY alternate routes. Order Jonathan Ley's CDT Mapset. He notes on his maps MANY of the various routes. Thru-hiking the CDT entails maps, LOTS OF THEM, AND MAP AND COMPASS SKILLS, AND/OR GPS.

The altitude acclimization shouldn't be of huge concern at GNP although GNP elev. does vary considerably depending on where you are in the park. And, where you are in the park depends on what CDT route you will be opting for through the park. I was working in Buffalo NY over the winter and spring before I left directly from there to start my CDT SOBO beginning at the Canadian Border. I had no acclimization issues. I went over a few GNP passes close to 7000 ft

++ New Posts ++