WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Journal Entries

What a bunch of wimps. Quit crying. I thought when you get to a town it would be an experience. Just go with the flow. It is what you make it. You want drama, you will find drama. You are supposed to be a tough hiker. Tough hikers don't complain about a little something not going their way. These town people have lives to and are trying to get by the best way they can. I met town people last year on my first hike that gave back way more than they took. Just my guess, the complainers give back less than they take. See you on the trail at Winding Stair on 12th. Hike On!!!

Miller

Journal Entries
    Images

Looks like a LOT of NEGATIVE hiker's this yr. Wonder why? I try to stay away from neg. since it will take you out if you stay around it for some period of time. I for one will walk away from it , I don't want any place ot it on my thru-hike 2186miles is along way to hear negative in my book so stop it once it starts. HYOH

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

It's been 3 whole days since I've had fast food.. WAHHHH

Quote Originally Posted by hikingshoes View Post
    Looks like a LOT of NEGATIVE hiker's this yr. Wonder why? I try to stay away from neg. since it will take you out if you stay around it for some period of time. I for one will walk away from it , I don't want any place ot it on my thru-hike 2186miles is along way to hear negative in my book so stop it once it starts. HYOH
    lots of negative hikers on the internet that also happen to be hiking. This accounts for a very very small percentage of the folks hiking. When you ask hikers about WB, most have never heard of it. Thats the advatage of hiking, if you have an issue with anyone, just keep walking......

Journal Entries

1) its appalling that people expect anything for free

2) shame on anyone that doesnt ask pricing details before committing to anything

3) sometimes hotels have different rooms, some are more $$ than others due either to amenities or condition. They might stick hikers in the worst rooms for $40 , but if those are already full then they have to go in the $75 room . That is no different from most hotels.

4) anything complimentary, is given only to garner business. Free shuttles from trailhead to motel, are a way to get customers to stay at the motel. If you arent planning to do that, you shouldnt be surprised if asked to pay. You should at least offer no matter what. And not be surprised if they take someone else with a reservation and leave you standing on the side of the road if they are full up.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-07-2013 at 18:37.

In a really desperate economy, people are looking for sales opportunities in which a lot of people are needing services. Especially if those people are ready to spend cash money and are fairly desperate (i.e. must buy and have few options).

Do thousands of hungry, cold, wet hikers sound like a good business opportunity to you?

This was less of a problem when the sheer number of hikers did not attract unscrupulous sales enterprises. Now, there's thousands of people making good livings off hikers. You should see the fixtures in the renovated bathroom at the Appalachian Trail Lodge; they are gold plated. I was shocked. Big money is changing hands in hiker services!

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    It's been 3 whole days since I've had fast food.. WAHHHH

Ron made me cross the road to get to the grocery store, boo hoo hoo!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    In a really desperate economy, people are looking for sales opportunities in which a lot of people are needing services. Especially if those people are ready to spend cash money and are fairly desperate (i.e. must buy and have few options).

Do thousands of hungry, cold, wet hikers sound like a good business opportunity to you?

This was less of a problem when the sheer number of hikers did not attract unscrupulous sales enterprises. Now, there's thousands of people making good livings off hikers. You should see the fixtures in the renovated bathroom at the Appalachian Trail Lodge; they are gold plated. I was shocked. Big money is changing hands in hiker services!
    I'm assuming this post was made as a joke, or at least I hope it was!
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Images

Dang, it's been a while since i've been on white blaze...sorry to hear about your trouble Ron...
    Check out my website: www.serialhiking.com

Journal Entries

Clearly from the posts replying to the OP Ron has a good name. I certainly had a positive experience in 2011. I suppose you can't please everyone but certainly the OP should regret his post.

Didn't expect anything from anyone other than kindness, but as a long time hiker I have given food and rides and accepted same.

Even when some are rude I usually take it the wrong way and thank them for their kind words. Funny how most will then apologize for their behavior.

Perhaps the OP has been a good opportunity for us to thank Ron and the many others for the good memories and excellent hikes we've enjoyed over the years.

Anybody who has ever worked the front desk at a hotel knows that there is no such thing as a set price, and that "hiker discount" is just one way of moving the price around when the clerk wants to sell a room. In a lot of hotels, the pricing goes something like this...you charge as much as you can while still selling all the rooms you can. If its a Tuesday night and there's nothing going on in town you might sell your rooms for $40. If you offer the $40 price and the customer starts to walk away, you ask them if they are a hiker (or travelling on business, an AARP member, military, AAA member, or whatever other BS)...just keep going down the list until you find something they qualify for and then offer the discount. But if its friday night and there's a softball tournament in town for the weekend you're selling every room for $99, and you're calling all the other hotels in town every hour or so to find out how many rooms they have left. As the supply of rooms in town dwindles, the price goes up. You might be charging $179 for a room identical to the same one you sold 3 hours ago for $99. But after 11pm the price starts to slide back down if you've got a bunch of rooms left...you're not likely to sell many rooms late at night so every one you sell is free money.

You have to be prepared to say "thanks but no thanks", or "sorry I guess I misunderstood, and walk away. That's the beauty of have a pack, two feet, and some stamina. People need to make a living. There will always be misunderstandings. Sometimes you gotta pay. Sometimes you gotta walk away. Some people will call you cheap, and all sorts of names, but you only have to be true to yourself. Always take the high road, even if it means being the loan voice crying in the wilderness. Don't be vindictive. Just keep it simple.

Most High, all-powerful, good Lord, all praise is yours, all glory, all honor,
    and all blessing.
    To you, alone, Most High, do they belong. No mortal lips are worthy to pronounce your name.
    All praise be yours, my Lord, through all you have made, and first my lord Brother Sun, who brings the day; and through whom you give us light. How beautiful is he, how radiant in all his splendor; Of you, Most High, he bears the likeness. All Praise be yours, my Lord, through Sister Moon and the stars; in the heavens you have made them, bright, and precious, and fair. All praise be yours, my Lord, through Brothers wind and air, and fair and stormy, all the weather's moods, by which you cherish all that you have made. All praise be yours, my Lord, through Sister Water, so useful, humble, precious and pure. All praise be yours, my Lord, through Brother Fire, through whom you brighten up the night. How beautiful is he, how cheerful! Full of power and strength. All praise be yours, my Lord, through our Sister Mother Earth, who sustains us and governs us, and produces various fruits with colored flowers and herbs. All praise be yours, my Lord, through those who grant pardon for love of you; through those who endure sickness and trial. Happy are those who endure in peace, By You, Most High, they will be crowned. All praise be yours, my Lord, through Sister Death, From whose embrace no mortal can escape. Woe to those who die in mortal sin! Happy those she finds doing your will! The second death can do them no harm. Praise and bless my Lord, and give him thanks And serve him with great humility.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post

How about you provide a list of those thousands of people making big money on the trail. Id love to see that list then ask those on your list about the big money they are making? Do you have any pictures of this gold plated bathroom at the ATL? I never noticed anything close to that at the ATL when I was there in 08 and if I had seen that, I most certainly would have taken a picture....

Ron is the one guy that I've heard nothing but great things about while hiking the AT. But I would say that in any line of work it will have its morons, its called the 1% rule (that is, 99% usually get "it", while 1% do not/can not/never will). Also, the OP only had 4 prior postings-maybe he's just some idiot looking to start trouble.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    How about you provide a list of those thousands of people making big money on the trail. Id love to see that list then ask those on your list about the big money they are making? Do you have any pictures of this gold plated bathroom at the ATL? I never noticed anything close to that at the ATL when I was there in 08 and if I had seen that, I most certainly would have taken a picture....
    Have to agree with Chaco, over the past few years there have been quite a number of businesses that catered to hikers along the AT that have gone out of business. I'd venture to say more have gone out of business than have been started.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

There are the fools that hike the trail once, and act entitled, and ruin a good thing for good people, and then there are those of us who actually go back again and again. I've been using Ron for rooms and shuttles for the past seven years. Even though I haven't seen him much the past couple of years due to becoming a dad, I consider him a friend, and above all else he is a fair and more than honest man.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Images

I love how this thread has turned into a testimony thread about how good a guy Ron Haven is. Not the malicious anti-Haven thread the OP intended.

Ron, 99% of us have always appreciated all you do for hikers. I'm at least thankful that this bad thing turned into a positive place where those of us that know you and have benefited from your efforts can publicly testify how much we care for you and your family. Lord knows they have had to put up with a lot as well over the years. And no matter what, you and they have always remained positive and are greater people for it. It is an honor to know you and your family.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    there should not be ANY hiker rates for anything. charge em' full price just like any tourist
    My "hiker rate" would be higher than the standard tourist rate.

Quote Originally Posted by SassyWindsor View Post
    LOL kidding, I bet it takes DAYS to let that hiker funk to air out lol

Quote Originally Posted by SassyWindsor View Post
    A surcharge of the same rate as for allowing dogs in the room makes sense to me, given the way motel room smells when me and 3 other hikers are done there.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++