WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Images

Maybe I should go up to Allen Gap and put up a bag of trail magic stash of small bottles of hand sanitizer.....

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    If it is a norovirus as I suspect, alcohol/hand sanitizer has little effect. It is very susceptible to bleach though.
    Phenol also, so try Lysol with stuff that can't tolerate bleach.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

Within the context of the report posted by Wakapak, I found this paragraph interesting.

The majority of hikers filtered or purified their drinking water (73 percent), some used iodine or chlorine to treat water (15 percent), several used a combination of methods (three percent), and a small minority did not filter their water at all (nine percent). Only one person filtered the drinking water at the store; most assumed that this source provided potable water. Hikers who filtered their water were slightly more likely to become ill than those who drank "raw" water. Traveling alone conveyed a small protective effect over traveling in groups of two or more, although the effect was not statistically significant (RR = 0.7; 95 percent CI: 0.4-1.3). Finally, camping overnight at Store A was associated with a 50 percent increased risk of illness compared with not camping at the store (RR = 1.5; 95 percent CI: 1.0-2.1).
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    much ado over nothin'. sleep in a tent, avoid hostels, shelters, motel rooms with other hikers and you'll be fine. oh and don't treat your water.
    Information is good (including many of your 1-liners). Your 2nd sentence is an example of advice I will be heeding. Are you suggesting treating water could be the cause? As a a person who has suffered from the Giardia, I could not disagree more. What is the down side to treating or filtering water? There is an obvious one to not treating and filtering. I am not being sarcastic or a know-it-all. I am here to learn.
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 04-09-2013 at 09:07.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Images

I also found this interesting, and very true. Majority of time town water is safe, however there is always that one in a million instance.

Educating hikers on the nature of the Norwalk-like virus infection and potential risk factors in different environmental settings may help reduce risk and control outbreaks. Hikers should be aware that not all water sources in town are free from contamination -- especially those that rely on well water. Most hikers in this study did not filter water while in town because they assumed the water was potable. Routine inspection and monitoring of public water supply systems is critical to maintaining a safe water supply Nevertheless, wells in heavily agricultural areas can be contaminated by runoff from barns or fields.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Phenol also, so try Lysol with stuff that can't tolerate bleach.
    I guess I should take a spray bottle w/bleach and spray the privies and shelter/picnic table areas.....

Serial Hiker
    Images

I'd avoid AYCE buffets too. That's unfortunate.....
    Take care out there guys.
    perrito

684.4 down, 1507.6 to go.

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Images

I will say that I have done loads and loads of hiking since that time in 99 and more often than not I do not treat my water. However, if I am skeptical of a source I will treat it, but that is very far and few between. Just use your head, if there are cow pastures nearby, treating is better (still not 100 percent protection though) or if the source is slow and low and looks cruddy, it may be a good idea to treat it.

There's also the thought that not treating and drinking "raw" water as the article put it could over time help build ones immunity to things in the water. Who knows really...

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    Within the context of the report posted by Wakapak, I found this paragraph interesting.

(...Hikers who filtered their water were slightly more likely to become ill than those who drank "raw" water....)
    The "treated water" cohort had a confidence interval of 0.6-5.9 on the risk ratio, so the elevated risk did not rise to the level of statistical significance. The cohort was really too small to draw an inference: the authors report that nine percent of the hikers interviewed used no water treatment, and only seventy hikers participated in the study. What can you say about six individuals?

I'd speculate that if there was a protective effect, it might just be that the non-treaters consumed less town water.

What surprised me was that there was one individual who filtered the tap water at the store.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    The thread title is rather alarmist.

"There are a LOT of sick hikers out here" would have been more accurate and less dramatic.
    I copied the title from someone else that had been on the trail recently - nothing in the OP is my own words. I respect this person(that I quoted) & ChinMusic very much! I believed ChinMusic's report's of all the sick hiker's on the trail. I thought it was appropriate when I posted the thread. I'm not an alarmist and neither is the person I quoted.... just sayin. I like you 2.

Some guys hiked on with it. I'm not made of that. I know I'll be better in a day or so like everyone else. I was due for a zero anyway.

I am actually "lucky" in that I am in town when this hit.
    You are doing well, Chin! Sorry to hear that it hit you last night. It couldn't have happen to a nicer person at the better time. Glad you can ride this out in a more comfortable place!

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    I guess I should take a spray bottle w/bleach and spray the privies and shelter/picnic table areas.....
    IMO that would help.

I just ventured out to the lobby of the hotel. More hikers that had previously avoided the illness got hit yesterday. I asked the group of thrus to put a number on the percent of hikers they personally know to have been sick. The common answer was a staggering 80%.

Miss Janet was there and agrees this outbreak is bad.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    I copied the title from someone else that had been on the trail recently - nothing in the OP is my own words. I respect this person(that I quoted) & ChinMusic very much! I believed ChinMusic's report's of all the sick hiker's on the trail. I thought it was appropriate when I posted the thread. I'm not an alarmist and neither is the person I quoted.... just sayin. I like you 2.
    I believe the information is more important than the perfect phraseology. Those that prefer wording over information should be summarily dismissed. You are wasting your time defending yourself against such critics. They have much practice at being critical and they are not interested in the information. Some are offering constructive criticism. AK is an example. I am not judging each post or poster. I am trying to help a friend.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    I smell Lone Wolf here.
    I think he is just rubbing off on me.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    You clearly did the right thing with the best intentions. Thanks! And please just disregard the obtuse among us.

Semantics....Peeps is sick as sick is. Thanks Chin, and thank you Hiker Mom for keeping our community abreast of all that bites and skitters. The trots ain't fun anywhere much less on the trail. Interesting I was in a convenient store yesterday, and saw that the sell "Pedialyte" (not sure I spelled that right) but it is what I'd drink if it were available to replace the much needed electrolytes after a bout.....and how!

Quote Originally Posted by wakapak View Post
    I will say that I have done loads and loads of hiking since that time in 99 and more often than not I do not treat my water. However, if I am skeptical of a source I will treat it, but that is very far and few between. Just use your head, if there are cow pastures nearby, treating is better (still not 100 percent protection though) or if the source is slow and low and looks cruddy, it may be a good idea to treat it.

There's also the thought that not treating and drinking "raw" water as the article put it could over time help build ones immunity to things in the water. Who knows really...
    I also rarely treat or carry water. I have a knack for finding springs when thirsty, and rarely drink from streams or spigots. So far so good.

Thanks for the support from all of you. Thanks for all your kind words towards me. I'll be more careful next time.

On a positive note, I hope that everyone that is sick out there feels better soon. I hope this illness or whatever it is goes away ASAP. I'm proud to be part of WB b/c I feel the concern and advice, that I've read on this thread, is da bomb!!! Have a great day y'all!!

IMO that would help.

I just ventured out to the lobby of the hotel. More hikers that had previously avoided the illness got hit yesterday. I asked the group of thrus to put a number on the percent of hikers they personally know to have been sick. The common answer was a staggering 80%.

Miss Janet was there and agrees this outbreak is bad.
    Ugh! sounds like somebody's gonna get the trail name "Charmin" before this bug plays out. Stay safe, stay well...stay close to a toilet!

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    Information is good (including many of your 1-liners). Your 2nd sentence is an example of advice I will be heeding. Are you suggesting treating water could be the cause? As a a person who has suffered from the Giardia, I could not disagree more. What is the down side to treating or filtering water? There is an obvious one to not treating and filtering. I am not being sarcastic or a know-it-all. I am here to learn.
    If you are suggesting that a sarcastic know it all can't willingly learn, I am here to differ.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++