WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Food bag

Images

Default Food bag

I have bought 99.9 % of my gear,however one last item I need s a food bag.
    Can someone Please !! advice me on a good brand,also what would be a good liter size for a food ? Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by realdeal64 View Post
    I have bought 99.9 % of my gear,however one last item I need s a food bag.
    Can someone Please !! advice me on a good brand,also what would be a good liter size for a food ? Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!!
    Walmart carries the Outdoor Products waterproof 15L bag for $5.97....functional and cheap
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Images

Just me personally, but I bought an inexpensive waterproof bag at Dick's one day. Didnt see a need to fret too much about it, especially as it was only intended to hold my food separate from my other stuff in my pack. Whatever it was it was their large size and if anything I have too much space Iin the bag.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

There are plenty of bags that will work just fine. I'm a fan of waterproof Sea to Summit bags especially back when I used to bear-bag. My current one is a 13L which is good for about 5 days of food (for me).

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/64
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 04-10-2013 at 22:49.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

If you want to go expensive and light weight a "Sea to Summit" sil-nylon Dry-Sac around 13 Liters to 15 Liters will set you back about 25-35 dollars, and probably hold 3-4 days worth of food (depending on what and how much you eat) I also have a cheapy wally world bag, it is seam sealed with tape. When I got home that night after purchasing it, I put a shirt in it, opened my bedroom window...and chucked it......it kept a shirt dry for two days in the rain. After repeated stuffing of food, they'll all fail at some point or when the water repellant finish wears away...the sil-nylon impregnated (w/silicone) may hold up a little better.....but I have no experience to back that up.
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 04-10-2013 at 22:39. Reason: Dry-Sac not ditty bag

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    There are pleny of bags that will work just fine. I'm a fan of waterproof Sea to Summit bags especially back when I used to bear-bag. My current one is a 13L which is good for about 5 days of food (for me).

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/64
    I have a 13 litre S2S dry bag too, except that I've got the bug-gut green one with the transparent window, for no better reason than it's what EMS had the day I got it.
    I threaded a keychain 'biner through one of the loops that the buckle is sewn into. That gives me a place to clip the line for a PCT bearbag hang. And being a drysack, it can hang out in the weather without getting any food ruined.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Ursak Minor and you will never have to worry about rodents, flying squirrels, mice, etc. getting your food even when properly hung from a bear cable/rope.

I like the Zpacks cuben fiber blast food bag. Water proof light and a good size for about 5 days food. Most dry sacks are tall and skinny, but he Zpack food bag/dry sack is short and wide. It really fits much better in your pack and helps out with saving space in your pack.
    http://www.zpacks.com/large_image.sh...roll_top_l.jpg

http://m.rei.com/mt/www.rei.com/prod...light-dry-sack

Outdoor Research Ultralight Dry Sack ... Has a nice D-Ring to hang it from. 15 Liter size & less than 2 ounces.

Default Food bag

Zpacks food bag, has a small biner built in so you can use a larger one as stopper when doing a food hang, makes the task extremely fast

I use two of the plastic bags you get with groceries.

Images

+1 for the Zpacks Blast roll top food bag. It fits a lot better in my pack (ULA Circuit) than my Ursack, and it's easy to hang in the PCT style.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I use the wal-mart "outdoor products" bags. They come in a three pack of different sizes (orange/blue/green). my food is in its ziplock bags anyway, I dont care about rain. The green bag holds my cook kit and three days of food. The roll top and clip hold pretty well and hold up well to bear-bagging, being a nice place to clip the carabiner
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Journal Entries

+ another vote for the Zpacks blast. 0.85 oz

Most food bags are too skinny, dont fit well into pack.
    The Zpacks is rectangular and the right size to take up most of the cross section of a UL pack

Here's another option if you expect to do some PCT hangs. http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com...products_id=79

Journal Entries
    Images

I bought the Wal-Mart bag and was not satisfied. I then bought the Sea to Summit bag, based on BigNCranky's recommend. I really like it and plan on taking it April 27 on CDT.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Images

I have used a grapefruit mesh bag lined with a garbage bag. Not extremely durable, but if you are careful, it is waterproof, lightweight and easy to hang. The grapefruit bag allows you to hang heavier loads than just the garbage bag and does provide some protection for the garbage bag. You can use the grapefruit bag (or the garbage bag) for other things too.
    But now that I am only a little bit poor, I use either one of the roll top bags from Walmart or a Z-packs blast food bag.
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyWalker View Post
    I bought the Wal-Mart bag and was not satisfied. I then bought the Sea to Summit bag, based on BigNCranky's recommend. I really like it and plan on taking it April 27 on CDT.
    You sure that was me? I've used an Ursack for years, and just started using the Zpacks Blast roll top food bag. Not sure I've used the S2S bag, though I've seen it in stores and it looks good. I'm just getting to the age where I don't remember these things any more....
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Thanks for all the GREAT advice !!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++