WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default GA to NC and Smokey Mountain Sections questions

Good Afternoon. My name is John. I am a teacher living in Alaska but have always wanted to section hike the AT (would love to thru-hike but that isn't happening with my family and financial situation). This summer I will be in NC for a cousin's wedding. I plan on taking three of my nephews and hiking SB from NC (they live in Brevard so the closest trail access from that point) to the trail head at Springer Mountain. What shape is the trail in? And what is the water availability like. The trip is planned to start on Memorial day or the day before. Another question is, what is the trail conditions in the smokey mountains and what is the water availability like?I ask these questions, b/c I will be traveling with three nephews (one is 12 and the other two are 15 and 16) and I am thinking about attempting the hikes with VFFs instead of hiking boots. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Journal Entries

No one can tell you what the water situation will be like "this summer".
    Water does get scarce sometimes in summer in places
    It also gets very very hot sometimes too
    Put together, its not always a good combination

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    No one can tell you what the water situation will be like "this summer".
    Water does get scarce sometimes in summer in places
    It also gets very very hot sometimes too
    Put together, its not always a good combination
    That is what I am afraid of. I am originally from GA so I understand those southern summer droughts. Last April I took the boys on the Bartram Trail for spring break and we encountered a few dry spells, but most creeks were flowing pretty good. I am hoping that the first section will be ok in late May. Not sure about the smokey mountain section.

Images

One alternative to consider is the BMT through the Smokies (made up of several named trails). Water may be a little more prevalent at the lower elevations. It may not be as scenic as the ridge trail, but it is still a nice hike in that vicinity.

Images

You'll be there very early in the summer if you start Memorial Day. Water should still be fine.

How long do you want to be on the trail? It's about 175 miles from Fontana Dam (at the south end of the Smokies) to Springer, which usually takes 2-3 weeks for most hikers. Unless you want a longer hike, I'd recommend starting there and avoiding the Smokies.

My wife hikes in her five fingers. If you are used to them, it should be fine. The trail should be in good shape, though it might be getting a little overgrown with vegetation.

Get one of the trail guides (Thru-Hiker's Companion or AT Guide) and it will answer many of your questions.

And
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by haolejohn View Post
    Good Afternoon. My name is John. I am a teacher living in Alaska but have always wanted to section hike the AT (would love to thru-hike but that isn't happening with my family and financial situation). This summer I will be in NC for a cousin's wedding. I plan on taking three of my nephews and hiking SB from NC (they live in Brevard so the closest trail access from that point) to the trail head at Springer Mountain. What shape is the trail in? And what is the water availability like. The trip is planned to start on Memorial day or the day before. Another question is, what is the trail conditions in the smokey mountains and what is the water availability like?I ask these questions, b/c I will be traveling with three nephews (one is 12 and the other two are 15 and 16) and I am thinking about attempting the hikes with VFFs instead of hiking boots. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    you'll be fine and water will not be a problem. the trail is in great shape. the smokies generally follows the ridge. climb up outta davenport, stay on the ridge for 50+ miles and climb down into fontana (going southbound). not sure how long you want to hike, but the smokies takes 4-6 days depending on your pace.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    My wife hikes in her five fingers. If you are used to them, it should be fine.
    thanks....no clue what he was talking about.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Thanks for the info. I have ordered a trail guide but not sure if it is going to make it up here before summer break. I hope it does. I have decided to just do the GA portion with the boys. We have a week. Will be taking it fairly easy 10 miles a day. I'm fat (but in decent shape for a fat guy).

Section Hiker

Hi, haolejohn. Alaska, awesome, sounds like you are in a really remote area if you're not getting mail often. I can only imagine what that's like! You could order The AT Guide (David Miller) and have it shipped to your relative's home in NC so it would be waiting for you when you get there. I, and possibly my son, are doing Nobo Springer to NC in June.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Quote Originally Posted by slbirdnerd View Post
    Hi, haolejohn. Alaska, awesome, sounds like you are in a really remote area if you're not getting mail often. I can only imagine what that's like! You could order The AT Guide (David Miller) and have it shipped to your relative's home in NC so it would be waiting for you when you get there. I, and possibly my son, are doing Nobo Springer to NC in June.
    We are isolated. 350 miles from a paved road. We do have mail service, but the guide was sent via UPS. UPS doesn't deliver out here. If the guide doesn't arrive I am just going to pick one up at REI in kennesaw. We own a house in GA, and we will be returning for the summer (wife is having baby #2 in civilization).

I had planned on planning the trip before getting to GA and NC, but we may have to wait.

My nephews love hiking. It has become an annual trip of picking a trail and going out for 4 days or so. This will be our longest planned trip. Last two trips I carried very heavy pack, b/c I knew they would forget items that were needed

Water won't be an issue Memorial Day in GA.

You will need a permit to hike in the GSMNP.

Section Hiker

John--You can buy a PDF of the guide for about $7.95 here: http://www.shop.theatguide.com/The-A...oad-NPDF13.htm. That would allow you to start planning but you'd still maybe get the paper to take with you.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Quote Originally Posted by slbirdnerd View Post
    John--You can buy a PDF of the guide for about $7.95 here: http://www.shop.theatguide.com/The-A...oad-NPDF13.htm. That would allow you to start planning but you'd still maybe get the paper to take with you.
    thanks so much. This will help.

Images

Have a great time and hugs for the soon to be newborn.

++ New Posts ++