WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Timberland Radler folding camp shoes?

Has anyone see or used these yet. I'm still trying to get a weight to see if they are lightweight or not. Needless to say they look interesting.

http://www.geekalerts.com/timberland...folding-shoes/

Quote Originally Posted by TheYoungOne View Post
    Has anyone see or used these yet. I'm still trying to get a weight to see if they are lightweight or not. Needless to say they look interesting.

http://www.geekalerts.com/timberland...folding-shoes/

A backpacker review on Amazon says 9 oz apiece, for a total of 18 oz.

I am pretty sure my "slides" are lighter, but they do look good though.
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

Likely more sarcastic than you!
    Images

At a # per pair, you got the same weight as Crocs with much more packability, but perhaps not a consideration if the Crocs are clipped to the outside of the pack. If comparing looks, there is absolutely no consideration.
    We are all one big human family.

Well, that takes care of the bulk issue...now they need to do something about the weight.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by treesloth View Post
    At a # per pair, you got the same weight as Crocs with much more packability, but perhaps not a consideration if the Crocs are clipped to the outside of the pack. If comparing looks, there is absolutely no consideration.
    Crocs will weigh in close to 11-12 ounces a pair for a men's size 10.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Keen has a new sandal line,the CNX.Pretty much like the Newport H2 but several ounces lighter.I also use Teva Dozers,they are a bit lighter than the Keen Newports and costs less than 50$ if you shop around...

My sister gave me a pair a while ago. I didn't like them at all, they are relatively heavy (dont remember the exact weight), and surely uncomfortable. I sent them back and got a new pair of running shoes
    "I don't see what that's got to do with catchin' birds." ~The Kid

Images

The Teva mush 1 flip flops weigh 3.8oz each based n their Q&A website, the mush 2 3.7oz each. Not sure how they handle fording rivers though, but are great around the town and on my section hikes...

You're not going to live forever
    Find this to be true
    Use your past as a guide
    While you're alive
    Live

Images

I also have considered using the teva's terra fly light, these sandles are very comfortable for me, I have even considered doing a section hike in them this summer.

Size 9 weights 9.6oz each.

You're not going to live forever
    Find this to be true
    Use your past as a guide
    While you're alive
    Live

Section Hiker

The folding shoes look bulky and uncomfortable. I was planning on Crocs, mine weigh in at 16 oz., but often wonder why not just some flip flops. I think I'll take a look at the ones Spirit Bear posted!

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

I have the Timberland Radler camp shoes, and I lovethem. They are lightweight, they fold upsmall, and they are very comfortable to walk around in. My only complaint is that the straps arecheaply made. If you hang them off yourpack by the straps, you can lose one, like I did.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Bear View Post
    The Teva mush 1 flip flops weigh 3.8oz each based n their Q&A website, the mush 2 3.7oz each. Not sure how they handle fording rivers though, but are great around the town and on my section hikes...

Wal-Mart Panama Jack brand flip-flops weigh 5.5oz for the pair (in mens medium) and cost $5.50. Also, I have to say that I'm permanently wary of buying anything with the name Radler after a gross experience I had ordering a Radler in Munich one time ...
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

I have these in size 12. They come in at exactly 16oz. on my scale. I have old Crocs, but not worn down, that weigh 13oz. and a newer pair of Crocs that weigh 16oz. (same size, go figure?).

The Radlers are considerably more compact. I actually don't bother to fold and zip them. The zippers are small and can be hard to slide. I'm pretty sure they will fail in time. I prefer to just stack them flat, one on top of the other and stuff them down an exterior pocket. The pair flatten down to not much more than 1 inch thick. That's where they really win, especially for larger sized folks like me.
    They do have a fairly aggressive tread pattern, giving them better traction than the Crocs.
    They also have thin, removable, polyester felt inserts that weigh about 1oz. each. I would not go without them because there is almost no cushion to these shoes. I cannot speak of how fast drying they are because I have not worn them yet in very wet conditions.

In summary, their big advantage is packability; perhaps their only advantage, worthwhile in dry conditions. For cushy comfort and fast drying, Crocs are still king. But I struggle to pack them, even on the outside.

++ New Posts ++