Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default 3rd on the Non-fiction Best Sellers list

http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Found-Pac...ic+coast+trail

While looking at New Yorks best selling book list ran across this book its listed 3rd on the paperback non-fiction not sure if this book has been mentioned before but thought I would throw it out there. Its listed for sale on Amazon.com
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

I really enjoyed her story.

Images

Good book. She's an amazing writer.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Section Hiker

Very good book. Highly recommend. Her journey is not just about her hike.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Images

Very good book. ... although she is hiking the PCT in her story, a big part of it is the how & why she started and how she grew and, I believe, overcame her demons and made peace within herself. She's also a great writer. I gave a copy to one of my children who is an English & Sociology major. I'm waiting for her to find the time to read it so we can go together to one of the author's workshops
    "Life is pure adventure, and the sooner we realize that, the quicker we will be
    able to treat life as art." Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by Ladytrekker View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Found-Pac...ic+coast+trail

While looking at New Yorks best selling book list ran across this book its listed 3rd on the paperback non-fiction not sure if this book has been mentioned before but thought I would throw it out there. Its listed for sale on Amazon.com
    There is no such thing as Non-ficion. Your signature line is amongst my favorites.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

I'm almost finished with it right now, and I'm liking it a lot more than I've expected. In a few weeks I'll be able to tell what effect, if any, it's had on drawing Cheryl wannabes out onto the PCT. Could be a good thing, a bad thing, or a total non-issue. We'll see.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Images

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    There is no such thing as Non-ficion. Your signature line is amongst my favorites.
    LOL yea I caught that shortly after I posted but was not able to edit it. But hey do hikers really need to spell. ha ha.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    Oh bad me just saw you sign on name how funny get it now.

Images

I read it, enjoyed some parts. Not much about the trail. Not much personal growth. Lots of sex and drama, mainly the whiney, shockfest kind. YMMV
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Images

Default 3rd on the Non-ficion Best Sellers list

I haven't read it did not know it was racy lol just was surprised that a book with hiking made a lost like this your description of the book is probably why it is number 3

Ladytrekker,
    No Spoiler Alert from me. I'll wait until you have had a chance to read the book.
    Enjoy!

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by chiefduffy View Post
    I read it, enjoyed some parts. Not much about the trail. Not much personal growth. Lots of sex and drama, mainly the whiney, shockfest kind. YMMV
    Agreed. Not a bad book at all but not what I'm looking for. I missed the Oprah book club sticker on the back when I bought it.

You want details on the trail, you get a guidebook.
    You want to hear about all the emotion and relationship stuff - you're a woman

I heard an interview last year on Geon Ghomeshi's Q show on the CBC it was very interesting.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

I just finished writing an opinion on Wild for my blog. Long story short, I really don't like the idea that hiking is a cure-all for when you're down in life, especially if you're wayyy down like Cheryl Strayed was when she started. I do really like the book as an entertaining read. But that message that the PCT is going to take you from lost to found is bound to disappoint a lot of people.

The fleshed-out version of that opinion is at http://scrubhiker.blogspot.com/2013/...inking-of.html
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ladytrekker View Post
    LOL yea I caught that shortly after I posted but was not able to edit it. But hey do hikers really need to spell. ha ha.
    As long as we can think............hopefully like you..............we'll be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by SCRUB HIKER View Post
    I just finished writing an opinion on Wild for my blog. Long story short, I really don't like the idea that hiking is a cure-all for when you're down in life, especially if you're wayyy down like Cheryl Strayed was when she started. I do really like the book as an entertaining read. But that message that the PCT is going to take you from lost to found is bound to disappoint a lot of people.

The fleshed-out version of that opinion is at http://scrubhiker.blogspot.com/2013/...inking-of.html
    Spot on Scrub, cause no matter where you go...there you are. Good luck on your up coming hike of the PCT, look forward to following along.

Listened to the book about six months ago. It got a little long and involved about her life before she got on the trail but I enjoyed the part on the trail.

I read Wild last year and found it very compelling, both for the details about Cheryl Strayed's hike and for the window into her personal struggles. As a matter of fact, her book inspired my newfound interest in backpacking -- for the physical and emotional challenges it's sure to present. Not sure if this makes me a hiker "wannabe," as a previous poster suggested, but as someone who adores the great outdoors and has just never thought to strap on a pack and head into the woods for a spell, the book spurred me into a direction I'm pleased to be going in. After reading 7 or 8 other hiker memoirs, Wild is the one that sticks in my head. (Although I loved the Barefoot Sisters books, too.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++