WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default How are these sleeping bag and tent?

So ive been looking for a price friendly/light weight bag and tent and came up with these two. Wondering if anyone has experience with these or would point me in a different direction if these are bad?

Sleeping Bag: http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/...r-header-43184

Tent: http://www.antigravitygear.com/six-m...solo-tent.html

I can't say too much about the SMD tent-- I've heard some praise. I used a Cosmic bag for some time (the 20 degrees model), and found it comfy, even over nights where temps got down to the low 30s.
    "We can no longer live as rats. We know too much." -- Nicodemus

Images

Six Moons Designs makes very good gear. We've been using their two person tent for several years, and it's well made.

Is there a particular reason you want the 0-F rated sleeping bag? It's overkill for 3-season hiking in most places, and it's almost 4 pounds. The 20-F model Cosmic gets very good reviews for a basic bag.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

This one?

http://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Cosmic-D.../dp/B004O76YS2

Yea i would actually rather have a 20 degree bag. Didnt mean to post that one

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Six Moons Designs makes very good gear. We've been using their two person tent for several years, and it's well made.

Is there a particular reason you want the 0-F rated sleeping bag? It's overkill for 3-season hiking in most places, and it's almost 4 pounds. The 20-F model Cosmic gets very good reviews for a basic bag.
    Also The North Face Cats Meow is a 20 degree synthetic bag that is real similar in weight to the 20 degree Kelty Cosmic. REI's price is a little step, but usually you can find the Cat's Meow cheap in places like Dick Sporting Goods. Also unless you need it right now, I would wait to buy a cold weather bag. By Memorial Day they will all be on sale.

http://www.rei.com/product/807886/th...w-sleeping-bag

http://www.rei.com/product/847649/ke...1-sleeping-bag

Like Big Cranky said, unless you are winter camping, you really don't need a Zero degree bag. Most Thru hikers use 20 or 30 degree bags.

Great Thanks! Im finishing my sophomore year in college this week and trying to possibly start the trail in june and do a good 500 mile chunk, maybe to the va boarder. I could wait till memorial day right before I leave and try to get one and hopefully save some cash. Ive done about 700 miles with my dad since I was 12-13 and he has since finished the whole thing. He really got me into backbacking and since then I have always wanted to do the whole thing especially before my life gets to hectic.

Images

The Kelty 20-F Cosmic is plenty, and even the 40-F rated bag should be plenty for a summer hike.

http://www.rei.com/product/847648/ke...1-sleeping-bag
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I have the SMD Skyscape Scout and have been very pleased with it. I also have the Kelty Cosmic 20 Down bag and it is a good, low price bag.

I bought this one for my son and was very happy with it.

http://www.campmor.com/marmot-sawtoo..._gpa=pla&ci_kw=

Yea Im more worried about how big each the tent and sleeping bag are not as much about weight although i would prefer something light. I am trying a military backpack i picked up about half a year ago. It is only 2000 cu in/37L and weighs 2.65 pounds so its quite small so I need everything to be as small as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by XrayDuke View Post
    I have the SMD Skyscape Scout and have been very pleased with it. I also have the Kelty Cosmic 20 Down bag and it is a good, low price bag.
    How small does the Cosmic 20 pack down to?

Quote Originally Posted by pinkfloyd336 View Post
    Comes with an 8" x 13" Stuff Sack. Could be compressed more with a compression sack, but your pack may be small for the gear you are buying.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Comes with an 8" x 13" Stuff Sack. Could be compressed more with a compression sack, but your pack may be small for the gear you are buying.
    Surprisingly It can fit everything. This does include though strapping tent/z rest to the outside, my current sleeping bag is not down so it takes up a ton of space which is a problem but it still can fit inside with clothes and food

Images

Z-rest outside makes plenty of sense, so does having your (often wet) tent strapped outside the pack.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I love my cosmic down 20. It has served me well and is a good balance between price, warmth, and weight. On the trail I pack it into a 13L dry sack.

Great Thanks! Im finishing my sophomore year in college this week and trying to possibly start the trail in june and do a good 500 mile chunk, maybe to the va boarder. I could wait till memorial day right before I leave and try to get one and hopefully save some cash. Ive done about 700 miles with my dad since I was 12-13 and he has since finished the whole thing. He really got me into backbacking and since then I have always wanted to do the whole thing especially before my life gets to hectic.
    Hiking out in June from GA to VA? Forget the Zero degree bag and get a 30 Degree one, maybe even a 40 degree bag. Trust me you will sweat your butt off with a zero bag.

Images

PinkFloyd, since no one else mentioned it, I will. I have a Campmor down bag, A kelty bag similiar to what you're contemplating, and a few others, My problem is that they are too restrictive in the shoulders, not that I am super broad shouldered or anything,
    I really like the western mountaineer bags because they are cut browder across the shoulders.

In short, before you buy, I suggest you try one out, my problem is that when I get cold I fold my arms across my chest and end up in pain from the circulation getting cut off!

Something to consider.....

doughNut

Quote Originally Posted by Doughnut View Post
    PinkFloyd, since no one else mentioned it, I will. I have a Campmor down bag, A kelty bag similiar to what you're contemplating, and a few others, My problem is that they are too restrictive in the shoulders, not that I am super broad shouldered or anything,
    I really like the western mountaineer bags because they are cut browder across the shoulders.

In short, before you buy, I suggest you try one out, my problem is that when I get cold I fold my arms across my chest and end up in pain from the circulation getting cut off!

Something to consider.....

doughNut
    Thanks for the insight. I usually test out most things I buy and would for sure test out the sleeping bag before buying. If it is slim in the shoulder area this may be a problem due to my bigger build

Journal Entries
    Images

I have a Kelty Cosmic 0 and a 20 degree. Had some zipper problems on the 20. 0 is pretty bulky. Both are rated about 10 degrees off. Should be a 30 and a 10.

Quote Originally Posted by lemon b View Post
    I have a Kelty Cosmic 0 and a 20 degree. Had some zipper problems on the 20. 0 is pretty bulky. Both are rated about 10 degrees off. Should be a 30 and a 10.
    thats what i seem to come across on almost every site review of the bag. They say the temp rating is off, but a 30 degree bag is still good enough for a thru hike? right?

++ New Posts ++