Default New to Backpacking

Hello all!

I'm new to the forums, not so new to hiking but very new to backpacking. I haven't officially gone out overnight yet but I been hiking frequently with a pack to get the feel for it and break in my pack. Luckily I live 20 minutes from the A.T. so practicing on it is no problem..... So.. what basic advice do you ladies have for a new backpacker chick?? I'm on the chubbier side (but actively losing weight) and firmly believe in hiking your own hike.

Also.. anyone ever heard of roamthewoods? I'm hoping to participate in a two week women's specific backpacking course in May in the Shenandoah MTNs area and it looks pretty awesome! I know they are still looking for people so feel free to look into it! I think it will be a highly beneficial program if I am able to go. ( Roamthewoods.com ). They are on facebook too. Has anyone participated in any of their trips? If so.. I would also love to hear from you and your experiences!

Again.. thanks in advance for any tips and suggestions you ladies have out there!

Hey, Katrina, sent you a private message ... Coosa
    My blog, dedicated to my Dad: Chasing the Trail
    Proverbs 4:26 Give careful thought to the paths for your feet and be steadfast in all your ways.
    Hike Your Own Hike

Section Hiker

Like you I have been a hiker and am new to backpacking. I have learned a LOT being a daily reader here at WB, as well as several books hikers have written about their experiences (most AT, one PCT). People here on WB are friendly and helpful and I wouldn't feel nearly as prepared as I do for my trip this June (Springer-Franklin being the goal) without them. Also, just getting out there with your pack is great. And, poking around your favorite local outfitter and picking their brains! I try to hike every weekend and am working my way up in weight in the pack and in miles. REI has trips too, I'm taking my 10 year old son on a weekend backpacking trip through them at the end of May. Also, for my June trip I have met up with two other women here on WB and we plan to meet up and start/hike together, which I am really excited about! Lots of possibilities! Enjoy!

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Maybe I'll see you out there in Shenandoah! I'm the ridgerunner there this year!

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Thanks everyone!

I have been having a ton of fun reading all of the existing posts here on whiteblaze. They are all very informative and welcoming! I am a total REI addict, but I also love campmor and backcountry edge. I saw REI's trips, but for two weeks instead of a short trip the money was worth it for this course I'm going to be trying. I'll let everyone know once I'm back how it was.

Has anyone had issues with their hips when they first started hiking with a pack on? I started getting pain in my hips and had to do several exercises and stretches to keep the pain in check... If anyone else has that issue, what do they do?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by trinzushi View Post
    Thanks everyone!
    Has anyone had issues with their hips when they first started hiking with a pack on? I started getting pain in my hips and had to do several exercises and stretches to keep the pain in check... If anyone else has that issue, what do they do?
    I had similar problems with my first two inferior packs. I thought part of the problem was me and not being "broken in" to carrying a pack. I ditched those packs. The next two packs have been a dream to carry. Neither are made anymore. However, they were "top of the line" when new. You may need a different pack.
    Have fun!

Wayne

PS: Please tell us exactly which pack you are having trouble with. How you have it adjusted. Weight carried. Etc.

Wayne

I'm using a small osprey aura 65 liter and I am practicing with 27 lbs. Hoping to have a final weight of 35 lbs after food and water for my two week trip coming up. When I was being fitted I was told my torso length is borderline for the small (so it may be a little large) but there was nothing smaller I could try in store. I have it adjusted to transfer most the weight to my hips. The pack, no matter how I adjust it never sits on my pack however, but there is a good 1-2 inch gap between my shoulders and the pack which seems odd to me. I am not entirely sure what my torso length is off the top of my head but I can get that info for you tomorrow! like I said, it's not a severe pain and it seems to be going down with different exercises.

** Never sits directly on my back I mean

Rosie and Todd from Roam theWoods are awesome people.Met them both two years ago at The Summit,a women's hiking and backpacking conference hosted by the Trail Dames women's hiking club. Wish I could go on that Shenandoah trip. Also check out the Summit 2013 www.traildamessummit.com

Re: pain in the hips, yes, I'll have it for a few days as well as general stiffness from walking and adjusting to the trai. It disappears quickly.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trinzushi View Post
    Thanks everyone!

I have been having a ton of fun reading all of the existing posts here on whiteblaze. They are all very informative and welcoming! I am a total REI addict, but I also love campmor and backcountry edge. I saw REI's trips, but for two weeks instead of a short trip the money was worth it for this course I'm going to be trying. I'll let everyone know once I'm back how it was.

I also have a lot of room under my straps at the shoulders, but the weight rests on my hips - as it should. I don't know what kind of pain you have, but it doesn't sound like a problem with your pack. If your pain is like mine, maybe we can learn from each other...

I don't usually have hip pain while hiking, but I have frequently had hip pain while trying to sleep on backpacking trips. I usually lie on my side. My hip starts aching, so I turn to my other side. That hip starts aching, so I turn again, lie on my back, turn again, and again, and again, all night. It's mostly in my left hip, but last month I had several sharp twinges in my right hip while hiking. This was new. I was worried that I might be causing damage by backpacking, so I asked my chiropractor, who suggested I see an orthopedist. Went there, got a prescription for an anti-inflammatory pill, which I took daily on a week-long trip this month (just got back two days ago). He said it was bursitis of the hip, pretty common. Hip pain was much improved, but it could have been because the trail was relatively flat (southern third of Penn).

Orthopedist also scheduled me for physical therapy, first appt today. Therapist assigned me a handful of stretches and exercises to do. She thought it might be bursitis and possibly a small tear in the tough connective tissue between the femur and the hip bone. Don't know yet whether therapy will do much good, but the stretches did hurt if that means anything. I don't want to rely on medication to be able to sleep comfortably, and I'm not convinced that pain is a necessary part of aging, so I'll do the stretches and exercises and see how it goes. Next month we have weekend trip in steep terrain. I will try it without the prescription to see if the therapy is effective.

More info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater..._pain_syndrome

Images

Those courses look awfully expensive to me. You might contact the AMC chapters in your area and ask if they have any intro to backpacking courses or trips.
    http://www.outdoors.org/chapters/new...ey-chapter.cfm
    http://www.outdoors.org/chapters/del...ey-chapter.cfm
    http://www.outdoors.org/chapters/moh...on-chapter.cfm
    I know the Boston and Worcester chapters have given intro to backpacking courses. The winter hiking courses in those chapters I've taken have been excellent (and very cheap,$10 or $20).
    Also, check with AMC at Pinkham Notch, NH. The AMC facilities offer club wide courses that are more expensive because you usually end up paying for lodging, but still mostly less than $200.
    http://www.outdoors.org/about/contact/index.cfm

Follow up.. I did end up taking Roam The Woods course and couldn't recommend them more. When weighing cost vs duration and other factors along with work I found it a great option. It was a fantastic course!!

Now, I have been working with my chiropractor with the hip pain and it seems to be muscular. Apparently I have a muscular pelvic imbalance or something along those lines. Daily stretching has improved the pain. :-) Everyone's been great!

Hi Trinzushi, I had never hiked or backpacked in my life and didn't know of anyone, male or female that had done any hiking/backpacking. I finally decided that if I were ever going to be able to do it I needed to learn HOW to do it. Doing some research online I came across 'Adventures in Good Company'. It is for women only. I signed up for the Introduction to Lightweight Backpacking and it changed my life. I met many ladies that were in the same boat as I. This course gave me the confidence and knowledge to backpack on my own and introduced me to so many like minded women that I now call friends. I highly recommend this for newbies.

++ New Posts ++