WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Rain pants were the only thing I sent home at Neel's Gap, and I never regretted it--even in the rain, snow, wind, and cold. Shorts are plenty!
    No worries; we're here to learn.
    My ink trail.

In warmer weather (i.e. above 50 F) I go without anything for the lower half. I just make sure I have something dry to slip into when I get to camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayo View Post
    Rain pants were the only thing I sent home at Neel's Gap, and I never regretted it--even in the rain, snow, wind, and cold. Shorts are plenty!
    In truth, I tend to go with the shorts too, save the pants for when I stop, and often they are just long underwear bottoms and not rainpants. But I would never recommend that to someone who is not familiar with what the Whites and Maine have to offer regarding weather. Some of us deal with cold better than others.

I also take a light pair of gloves and warm hat when I hike in the Whites, and have used them frequently even in August, when the temperature below was around 80F.

Quote Originally Posted by minda View Post
    I bought a yard of sil-nylon on ebay and made my own rain skirt. It works wonderfully. Cost: $4.50
    Is this the stuff you bought? how did you put it together?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silnylon-Roy...item2329b251d2

Images

That's it. I used an old skirt pattern I had in my sewing room: 2 rectangles, elastic waist band, serged the hem. Where the needle penetrated the fabric, I used a sylicone sealant. It works like a charm.I have been known to wear a skirt to work on rainy days just so I can try it out. Luckily, they already knew I was a little weird.

Quote Originally Posted by minda View Post
    That's it. I used an old skirt pattern I had in my sewing room: 2 rectangles, elastic waist band, serged the hem. Where the needle penetrated the fabric, I used a sylicone sealant. It works like a charm.I have been known to wear a skirt to work on rainy days just so I can try it out. Luckily, they already knew I was a little weird.
    great thanks so much!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++