WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Jacking Owls a Sin?

I think my first date -- if you could call it that -- was an expedition to call in owls with a very pretty girl and a tape recorder in the 70's. I didn't get any at the time.I have had some success in the years since, but was wondering if calling them in and lighting them up is frowned upon. I am sure it is, but to what degree?With a Sibley's guide on my mini, and a very powerful AA Fenix it will be easier than ever. But I don't want to go to hell.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    I think my first date -- if you could call it that -- was an expedition to call in owls with a very pretty girl and a tape recorder in the 70's. I didn't get any at the time.I have had some success in the years since,
    Are you talking about girls or owls?

I think my first date -- if you could call it that -- was an expedition to call in owls with a very pretty girl and a tape recorder in the 70's. I didn't get any at the time.I have had some success in the years since, but was wondering if calling them in and lighting them up is frowned upon. I am sure it is, but to what degree?With a Sibley's guide on my mini, and a very powerful AA Fenix it will be easier than ever. But I don't want to go to hell.
    You just wish it was that easy to get to hell.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Its right there in Strigiformes: "Thou shalt not bother thy neighbor owl" It's a ticket to hell for sure.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Are you talking about girls or owls?
    This
    ╔═╗
    ╚═╝

Images

Yeah, don't do it. It causes unneeded stress on the owls.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

OK, I'll bite. What is it?
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

Default Jacking Owls a Sin?

I'm gonna need clarification on the term "jacking owls"! This isn't going to turn out good! MADDOG:\
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    I'm gonna need clarification on the term "jacking owls"! This isn't going to turn out good! MADDOG:\
    I tried searching with Google but this thread is the only thing that comes up! Whatever it is sounds dirty and probably illegal in most states!

Journal Entries
    Images

On the old days, this was considered an innocent activity.

If you hear an owl off in the distance, it is fairly easy to call them in with a recording. I don't have one on my phone, but the ones on my iPad mini (I sprung for the full Sibley's guide) are very clear at volume.

The thing of it is, people say that this will stress out the owl. To be honest, I have never seen an owl that looks stressed, but it makes sense that if one comes to your call expecting some action, you are probably not doing the bird much good.

To say I am conflicted on this is an understatement.

Jacking= hunting with a spotlight, a common form of poaching.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries
    Images

Sort of like deer jacking, but completely different.

Best done with a Fenix or such, and not one of those ultra light lights.

Images

What would WOO have to say???

My cats freak out when I play other cats meows off the internet.

Images

So, am I understanding that this is a "hooty call"?
    Biggie

If you were old enough in the 70's to do it then your old enough now to know better.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

The thinking goes like this: the owl is doing whatever it is owls do -- hunting, resting, hanging out with his buddies, whatever. You call him in with your phone and hit him with the light. He's expecting either a fight for territory, so he's got the adrenaline pumping, or he's expecting a cute lady owl, but either way you're at the least stopping him from his general owl business, and at most giving him a flight-or-fight stress he doesn't need.

But, yeah, I'm conflicted about it too. An owl call is one way to bring in a bunch of angry songbirds, too. And I can do a mean screech owl without a phone...
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries
    Images

When I was a kid out with the shotguns a group of crows got into it with an owl right above us. I took a shot in the owls direction and than felt my fathers boot right on my ass.
    Owls are protected by the rule of Fathers. Enough Said.

Rick my call box has turkey calls (box and mouth), four kinds of ducks, crow, screaming rabbit, and deer bleat. I like to call animals though I haven't done it in years. I guess it depends on what the end use is, I don't hunt or trap anymore...but don't see a problem with trying to call in an animal for the purposes of self edification, and personal observation...call away, and consider yourself lucky if you make a contact and even more lucky if you get a picture....after all this is how all conservationist and naturalist did it for years. We all grew up watching Perkins, Stouffer, and the like...rock on dude!

thats what Heidi Fliece got arrested for.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++