WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

The three newest shelters (re)built by the AMC along the AT (Garfield Ridge, Eliza Brook, Kinsman Pond) have, luckily, been kept basically 100% graffiti free so far. Upon completion of these projects, the crews put together a journal that is kept in the shelter detailing the work and inspiration that went into building the shelters and simply ask people to not deface them. I think part of the success has been that the journals try to avoid the "but we worked so HARD on this, please don't screw it up" in favor of emphasizing that the shelters already have quite a bit of "character" already built in. Maybe wouldn't work with older shelters, but something to consider for those building new shelters or doing extensive repairs.
    Righeous
    AT SOBO '13

Montani Semper Liberi-
    Mountaineers are always free

Unfortunately, those shelters will at some time get some graffiti whether from a boyscout, church group, or a thru hiker someone always has to be an idiot. I would like to believe graffiti can be combated by education...but as we can see its just a matter of time...it seems if one person starts it that others think its ok to do the same. It is the same mentality that some idiot purposely throwing litter to the side of the trail and not picking it up has. It truly a selfish act.

Journal Entries

plain douchebags
    what someone gets out of writing on things, I cant comprehend
    the need a good poke in the eye from a hiking stick

I suppose, an answer might be to have camping permitted only at shelter/camping areas
    With fees required, and a caretaker to oversee each so that they arent vandalized , and that trash isnt left behind.

Wait..this sounds familiar..
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-03-2013 at 12:51.

Or better yet when the fellow (its usually guys doing it) goes to sleep have the others in the shelter area graffiti his stuff and see how he likes it...I think a big permanent marker of the name Earl Schaffer, or Benton MacKaye on his backpack, or a middle finger on the side of his shelter may get a point across(I do not condone this though).

Quote Originally Posted by turtle fast View Post
    Or better yet when the fellow (its usually guys doing it) goes to sleep have the others in the shelter area graffiti his stuff and see how he likes it...I think a big permanent marker of the name Earl Schaffer, or Benton MacKaye on his backpack, or a middle finger on the side of his shelter may get a point across(I do not condone this though).
    Yea, maybe not such a great idea.... Funny one though.
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

My name is probably on Half the shelters along the AT nothing wrong with it.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post

In your mind.

The members of NAMBLA see nothing wrong with what they do either.

Obviously not everyone agrees.

Majority rules.

Images

I agree completely. I love my name, it looks good in paint. Where do you live? I can paint it on your house. Nothing wrong with that.......though you likely have a different view.

Some folks will tag shelters, some will litter trails and hiways, some will leave their shopping carts in the parking lot. I return my shopping cart to the store, don't litter, don't deface property or nature. Some might be inspired by my behavior, most won't. No use worrying about something we can't change...

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nat View Post
    Some folks will tag shelters, some will litter trails and hiways, some will leave their shopping carts in the parking lot. I return my shopping cart to the store, don't litter, don't deface property or nature. Some might be inspired by my behavior, most won't. No use worrying about something we can't change...
    well said..........be true to yourself

Images

Bravo, but why did you spare half of the shelters???????

Next time put your sacred name on the other half and you will be the first thru vandalist. Quite an accomplishment.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Majority rules.

LOL...if that were true there wouldn't be any grafitti on shelters. All evidence points to the guy with the sharpie ruling.

A point that has been lost in all of this discussion is that the AT is used by more than 2 million people every year. The people on here put together with all the thruhikers and trail maintainers represent a very small sampling of that group. Even if consensus could be reached here it would not constitute a majority. People use the trail for all kinds of different purposes and bring all kinds of different perspectives to that use, and I think a lot of people on here forget that because they are looking at the trail through a tiny little window of their own perspective.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    LOL...if that were true there wouldn't be any grafitti on shelters. All evidence points to the guy with the sharpie ruling.

A point that has been lost in all of this discussion is that the AT is used by more than 2 million people every year. The people on here put together with all the thruhikers and trail maintainers represent a very small sampling of that group. Even if consensus could be reached here it would not constitute a majority. People use the trail for all kinds of different purposes and bring all kinds of different perspectives to that use, and I think a lot of people on here forget that because they are looking at the trail through a tiny little window of their own perspective.
    So true Bronk! WB is just a small amount even of the thru-hiker/section hiker community.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post

dont know how you come to your conclusion, but its warped.

Obviously out of the millions that use the AT, only a few mark on shelters and other stuff, or there wouldnt be a an unmarked inch on anything.

Should be clear what the opinion of the majority of AT users is.....marking on stuff is wrong. Just like in regular life , marking up public items is bad and done by thoughtless jerks. No different from graffitti anywhere else. They get some personal thrill from writing their name on something. Most everyone else sees it and thinks" what a jerk that guy must be"
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-05-2013 at 02:28.

Images

Millions on AT. So few markers. I do not condone it in the least bit. Just pointing out wb is a very small part of general hiking community.

I realize this statement lacks any logic. I find shelter tagging very distasteful, yet think of outhouse graffiti as a classic global art form. Any WB's who know about Wagner, can back me on this one.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Mike View Post
    Millions on AT. So few markers. I do not condone it in the least bit. Just pointing out wb is a very small part of general hiking community.
    that's no lie about this place being a very small part of the community.......use to be the hottest site though and still has some standing....

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TOW View Post
    that's no lie about this place being a very small part of the community.......use to be the hottest site though and still has some standing....
    What is the current "hottest site"?
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Yeah, but you enjoy being an a-hole. Most people have a natural aversion to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    What is the current "hottest site"?
    Facebook?

RED-DOG is not an a-hole, FYI.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++