WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Thoughts on Magic...

There's been a lot of discussion lately about the phenomenon of Trail Magic and organized Hiker Feeds and events. Some folks, including some very well-known folks in the hiker community are dead set against it, or at the very least, think there's too much of it.

Your thoughts, please. Is Trail Magic getting out of hand? Is it interfering with or causing damage to anyone's hike? Are today's hikers getting greedy, expectant, and spoiled because there's too much of it? Are critics of today's magic and large hiker feeds raising a legitimate point, or are they merely crabby and jealous because such things didn't exist when they were hiking? Should Trail magic be limited to towns or trailheads, or is it OK anywhere on the Trail?

Any and all comments are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    Should Trail magic be limited...?
    Ah, yes. More rules on how to hike. I'd like to take this opportunity to thank those whose trail magic (though very few) I have received (it was very appreciated), and those who chose not to provide TM when I was in particular need of something (again, very few times) as it made me stronger and reinforced my self reliance.

Maybe we could agree that people who don't like trail magic should pass it up, and leave it for people who do. Perhaps on our AT hiker cards, along with being stamped at each shelter, could contain a "TrailMagic Receiver" box. Then all you have to do is show that and get your TM and off you go. This would be reinforced by the cameras moitoring us as we pass each whiteblaze.

I enjoyed the trail magic I received in 2000 very much. I found that the best kind of magic was the spontaneous type - but that's just me. It was all good.

Regarding organized hiker feeds and other such events - it is my opinion that an AT hiker could be most helpful volunteering with an ATC affiliated trail club, or along another trail in your community. It doesn't have to be trail work either. Maybe stuffing envelopes or folding newsletters, sharpening tools, or flipping burgers at a club event. There are dozens of tasks that need attending with a trail club. Of course, one of the best known hiker feeds is organized by a longtime maintainer with the Carolina Mountain Club.

Personally, as a former thru-hiker, I don't like to inject myself into someone elses hike experience. If someone needs a lift or assistance at a trailhead or in town, I offer it. I did that alot when I lived near the trail in NY. I also shuttled a number of folks for free after my thru-hike. I do that less now that I live nearly 2 hours from the AT.

These days, I usually don't identify myself as a 2000-miler (to other hikers) unless specifically asked. It changes the whole tenor of the conversation, and frankly, it ain't about me. The fact that I hiked the trail in a previous year is really totally irrelevant to someone elses hike experience.
    Last edited by MOWGLI; 07-07-2005 at 23:16.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

i think trail magic is cool,but i am a hiker that doesnt think it is owed to me,bou i do appreciate it very much,and i try to return something to the hiking community neo

Well I think it goes both ways, some people go on a day hike, and knowing that it is thru hiker season and bring along fresh fruit, candy bars and such which is kool. Even if someone wants to drop a cooler in a stream (high enough to keep water out of course) like fannypack did in 2000 with peanut butter and Jelly sandwhiches. Someone I know put a baggy in it for donation and I left a buck.

But, on the other hand, while I was on day hikes, I ran across some hikers in the Nantahala section (where I lived for a couple of years) who expected it, and hinted towards it, to the point where they were flat out annoying.

A couple of ladies kept telling me how they were wanting to get into the NOC a day early so they could have time to rest before a friend met them there the next evening. We were at Tellico Gap and I was just getting ready to go for an evening hike, I first asked if they had plenty of food and fuel, cause i carried extra in my truck just in case I came across a hiker that was low or out. When they assured they had plenty of both. I told them look, it's only 10 or 12 miles to the noc by trail, if you do a couple more miles tonight and get an early start tomorrow you should get there in plenty of time to shower, do laundry and relax for a bit. They gave me dirty looks and I hiked on over to cold spring shelter to hand out cup cakes and such I got from the brakery.

Personally I think if someone wants to set up a grill and feed hikers, that it is going overboard, because they will begin to expect it. If a person wants to do magic to that level, why not go to where a trail crew is working and doing a major one or two day project. I think they would appreciate it more.

GA-VA 2005, VA-CT 2007, CT-ME ??
    Images

I got TM three times this summer. Two were within 24 hours, large coolers set up with the drinks, snacks, etc. The first, and best by far, was when I stopped by Nean's to enjoy an OCP and have a few minutes of good conversation. Simple, but rewarding.

For me, it's that human touch that makes the magic. The analogy I'm thinking is writing a check to a charity v. working in a soup kitchen. The coolers were generous, yes, but also seemed a bit detached. That face-to-face contact makes it more special for both parties.

Never been to a hiker feed. My inclination is that if you keep it unobtrusive, it's no big deal [see: cellphone, mj, pets, etc.]. I probably wouldn't attend one, though.
    -Mark

As a hiker that has never thru hiked, I have thought about doing some trail magic on several occasions but never have. What kind of psychology would make me want to do such a thing? I guess part of me was thinking that since I haven't hiked the trail, then the second best thing is to feel like I helped contribute to someone elses hike in some microscopic sort of way. Then I guess another part of me wants to feel like a hero to someone. Kind of a selfish motive I suppose but I think we all like to help or volunteer and get a few heartfelt thankyous every now and then. It feels good to be the giver rather than the taker more often than not.
    If I were to run into someone that offered me trail magic...whether it be planned or spontanious, I would hopefully accept it with gratitude and many thanks....and if I didn't need what that person was offering, I would still offer heart felt thanks for the offer. These trail angels probably do what they do because at the end of the day it makes them feel good. Why should I deny them that good feeling? What harm is there in that? Regardless of the motive...if I'm out there because I want to feel like somebody's hero for 30 seconds or if I just enjoy spending money on complete strangers, trail magic should not be viewed as a negative thing. There are way more important things to pout about besides someone wanting to give a hiker a free meal or a ride into town. On the other hand, I have heard of trail angels fighting over locations and even hikers. That is not a good thing because they are obviously doing it for all the wrong reasons. If your out seeking to be famous amoung the hiking community by being a trial angel, then I would think that is a bad motive...though I would still take your food... These are just my thoughts on the subject...which is written from my limited perspective. I've never thru hiked and have never done any trial magic...and I'm willing to be corrected if my thoughts are out of sync.
    Last edited by David S.; 07-07-2005 at 23:52.
    There is a certain joy in exhaustion.

Images

Good topic. Personally my opinion has shifted recently. I used to support any type of magic. Thru-hiking was an amazing thing in my eyes and these people needed to be celebrated for doing what I thought was incredible. I still have a tremendous amount of respect for anyone who tries it, but it has become more popular and i've done it, so my position has changed a bit I guess. I tend to agree more with the old-school purist thought that trail magic should be a spontaneous thing that happens on the spot. I've seen a lot of this recent pre-scheduled magic and feeds and cookouts and I think a lot of it is more about the person giving it then the hikers recieving it. I think often people give to feel better about themselves. Its human nature just like giving to a charity and then seeing your name posted next to being a generous donor. Some people don't crave this but many do.

Even this summer I've driven a lot of miles to get hikers to a pizza place and ice cream, and gas ain't exactly cheap. But I know they appreciate it, and personally, I get pleasure out of it. I like to be around LD hikers and I like to help when I can. But the desire to help hikers for me has recently diminished. There are too many hikers, and often they are so warn out from magic, I've had hikers turn me down for a free handout or ride to a store. I realize I can't please everyone, so don't often want to offer anymore. Plus I do think it makes me or anyone else seem kind of desperate.

Long story short, nothing wrong with helping a hiker who is in need, and doing something nice once in awhile. I really think the spontaneous magic i.e. giving someone a lift while you were driving by, or meeting someone on the trail and bringing them home is more natural and healthy than planning to look for hikers at a parking lot and cook for them for 3 days. tHIS has become a tradition the past couple years and I know hikers DON'T have to partake if they don't want to, but it seems like it really does take away from the experience more.

Personally I would have never hitched 100 miles ahead or behind to a town on my hike, but that is my opinion and style of hiking. The Whiteblaze gathering comes to mind that we had in Caratunk. It was a great time and I was so glad to meet and talk with Whiteblazers, but it seemed like a lot of the hikers were hitching from one party to the next, finding any way to take a week off here or there to sit around and drink. Seems these gatherings just breed more boredom on the trail for hikers and a desire to have distractions. Just an observation, so don't kill me for it. Again, nothing wrong with this style, just differs from my own. Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by A-Train; 07-08-2005 at 00:38.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

tideblazer
    Images

Thumbs up Trail Magic Rocks the House

Trail magic is great: people out to help other people have the time of their lives. How selfless, inspiring, and beautiful.

Thank you Trail Angels!
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

I tend to have a problem with alot of trail definitions, trail magic being one of them. To me, today's trail magic such as hiker feeds, and coolers are acts of "trail kindness". And although I have no problem with them, afterall, it's easy enough to walk on by, I do believe many hikers begin to expect it. How can they not, it's so prevelant.

To me, "trail magic" is something completely spontaneous more along the lines of a wildlife encounter, a rainbow or turning a corner to a spectacular view.

Images

Good topic Jack,
    When I was hiking in 2003, trail magic absolutely made my day. Coming upon a coke in stream during a steamy July day in Pennsylvania absolutely made my day. Coming up to a grill set up at a road crossing seemed sent by God. I still feel that it is a beautiful thing.
    At the same time, its increasing presence is undoubtedly changing the experience. While it will it never lose its intrinsically wild character, the trail does seem to becoming less so. It may be making the trail a bit softer, but that does not mean it is bad. Hike the AT for the beauty of the landscape and the comraderie of the community, and move on to some other long distance hike if you want deep wilderness (Continental Divide Trail comes to mind).
    I will never turn a cold coke by a road crossing on a hot trail day!

There are two types of trail magic.

First, there is the spontanous type. Examples are giving a ride to someone with their thumb out. I see nothing wrong with that, and encourage more people to do it. After all, it's a long walk into (and out of) places like Rangely.

Second, there is the planned. Examples are hiker feeds. The problem with this type of "magic" is that it benefits only a select few, namely those who just happen to be in the area at the time. Frankly, if someone wants to truely help hikers, then volunteer with a local trail club. That way, all of us can benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16
    These days, I usually don't identify myself as a 2000-miler (to other hikers) unless specifically asked. It changes the whole tenor of the conversation, and frankly, it ain't about me.
    Awesome and selfless approach!

Doug

Images

Default trail magic

Boy i tell ya God Bless trail magic and i think its honestly ashame of people complaining against it most trail angels are doing it because they want too!.I can remember several as desperato and others allong my journeys I have accepted gifts from them and have not I dont like it when they have a sighn up for thru hikers only,but heck i guess its their call aint it ky

I hope I don't come across as crass, but get over it. It seems like this is just another drama topic. If people want to do Trail Magic, why should there be any issue with that? Sure, the arguement can be made that instead of dropping goodies or all out cooking that trail maintainence or other trail-related work would be a better use of that time. But who are we to tell them what to do?!? If that's what what they want to do, leave them alone and let's not make an issue out of it.

As for hikers expecting it, that's something we cannot control. That is like saying hikers expect to get a hitch going into town and throwing a fit when it doesn't happen. That doesn't mean that we should have a topic on whether or not people should stopping giving hitches to hikers! It simply means that there are people on the trail that just expect too much, and aren't really out there for the trail itself. Trail Magic can be a great uplift to a hiker, no matter how big or small.

Regards,
    -MacGyver
    GA -->ME 2005

When I thruhiked the AT I really appreciated the trail magic I received. Most of it was spontaneous and small scale - a dayhiker pulling fruit or a coke or a cookie out of their pack - and I really appreciated it. The next couple of years we tried to 'give back' by bringing coolers of sodas and beer and juice to the trail and offering slackpacks. We found that many of the hikers said they had gotten so much trail magic that it was no big deal any more. They said thank you, but it was obviously not really magic for them. So we decided to put our time and energy into trail work, which is even less appreciated by most, but really does benefit hikers, and not just those who happen to run into us on the right day.

One thing about the organized feeds is that you end up with people rushing ahead or hitching to take advantage of them. We saw that with the weekly potlucks at DWG, and thought how ridiculous it was to allow a meal to determine your hike. But as others have said, a lot of folks are out to party, not to hike.

If I were to hike the AT again, I wouldn't turn down trail magic if I ran into it - always encourage people's generous impulses, they may not come again - but I also wouldn't let word of a feed determine how fast or far I hiked in order to participate. YMMV

When I was on the trail, I loved trail magic. So many nice people helped me out in a lot of ways. Thank you!

But just a thought for the trail angels who spend A LOT of money each year doing stuff...could that money perhaps be better spent on environmental conservation/trail maintenance/feeding the poor people in your own city? I wonder why people spend so much money feeding/helping middle class people who can afford to take 6 months off work. Anyway, just a thought.

I am totally for those kind people who pick up hitchhikers, or invite you to their house for a meal once in a while, that's just being hospitable.
    <A HREF="http://www.jackielbolen.blogspot.com/"TARGET="Jackie's BLOG">http://www.jackielbolen.blogspot.com/</A>

Images

Think about the "spontaneous clause" - if you are on the trail and walk up to a crossing not expecting anything but a road and there is a group feeding hikers - then to your perspective it is a spontaneous thing. Just a thought anyway...

My personal thoughts, if someone wants to feed hikers then let them. Sort of asinine to even debate the idea if someone should be allowed to do it because they are going to do it no matter how people on the Internet feel about it. Hikers can either accept it or just hike through and not accept it, I've never heard of a feed set up where people were forced at gunpoint to accept the food. The only problem I have ever had with this sort of thing is people that want to discriminate between hiker types with these things (i.e. day hikers, section hikers, thru-hikers, etc.), that sort of elitism is just poor manners IMO. When you set a table you feed who shows up out of good manners as a host.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Journal Entries
    Images

"Sort of asinine to even debate the idea if someone should be allowed to do it"

No argument here.

But has anyone in this thread suggested that?

Perhaps I am too hung up on the word "allowed", or as McGyver said "let them".

I do think that our individual decisions on how and where we offer Trail Magic (or not) can affect "the Trail". Not so much as an individual event, but when considered in the context of everyone else's choices.

I can say that I think is its good that so many of of us are shy and have poor self esteme (and so assume no one wants to have anything to do with us), other wise it would get really crowded out there ;-). You won't be seeing me, that's for sure. Or, more accurately, if you do you won't know it.

Rick B
    Last edited by rickb; 07-08-2005 at 11:24.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

I experienced so many random acts of kindness during my thru in 2003 that it's hard to recall them all. I really appreciated the occasional cache of water at a road crossing or cold soda but I wasn't a very fast hiker so most of that stuff was gone when I hiked by. What I admire and remember the most were the serendipitous encounters with people along the trail (non-hikers) who would reach out in generosity and offer me something ...be it a phone number for later use if I needed it or an overnight at their home. Once I was sitting in a small diner in NY eating my breakfast. An elderly couple came in and asked if they could join me. We had a nice conversation and they said they needed to leave. We said our goodbyes and out the door they went. When I finished my breakfast (fantastic omlet, by the way) I went to the counter to pay, only to be told that the elderly couple had paid for my breakfast.

I'm not sure I would ever "plan" to sit at a road crossing and hand out goodies, but I do know that based on my experience it would be an honor and a pleasure to extend a kindness to another hiker similar to that which was shown me in 2003. It's a little tougher out here in Wyoming since the hiker volume does not come close to that of the AT. However, the wife and I were on our way to Yellowstone last weekend and spotted 2 hikers along the side of the road. I stopped the car and got out to chat. After introductions we learned that they were CDT thru hikers. It felt good to be able to offer them food, water etc. Amazingly though, the only thing that each of them would take was a cold bottle of water but you could tell by the expression on their faces that just the fact that we stopped to talk meant a great deal to both of them.

'Slogger
    Last edited by Footslogger; 07-08-2005 at 12:10.
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++