Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Check out this new story to dispell the myth:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1776474.html

As mentioned in the article, the whole myth that bears are attracted to menstrating women started when some women were attacked and killed by grizzly bears. With a lack of any obvious evidence why the bear attacked these women, it was speculated that it might be their menstration. That speculation eventually became myth.
    Yes, let's continue to try to dispell this unfounded myth. I was led to believe it was from an incident in 1969 and was found not to be connected at all.
    AT02, LT 03-04, BMT05, NPT06, Haute Route07, Abol Ridgerunner 07/08, EBC Nepal trek 10

Images

Here's another one, with some of the same information as the other link, but also some other information.

http://www.nationalparkguru.com/so-d...ad-the-answer/

That can be because of stress, or poor nutrition or by taking the pill continuously, it's not usually a good sign if you're not taking the pill...

I read that article.

My family was warned off Yellowstone National Park, in the 1950's.

The Park Ranger leaned in the open driver's door window, asked Is there anyone on their period? My mother was livid! Fortunately, she was speechless. It was the 1950's. He said, roll up your windows, turn around and leave the park.

We did.

The explanation is that bears are territorial.

Man or woman, bears are territorial. That odor sends a message. The bear wants to run you out of their territory. Bears will "cuff" you, a few times, to teach you a lesson, only we do not have a thick hide. The bear will do that to a man or a woman present at the time.

Other wild animals will also attack. One man bragged about his personal body odor. A mountain goat was ahead on the trail. The man did not go back. The mountain goat gored him, yes, in the groin. The man bled out, and died.

I don't need a "study" or "statistics".

One "incident" is more than enough for me.

As far as I am concerned, male or female sexual odor is provocative where territorial wild animals will drive you off their territory, by hurting or by killing if you do not leave by the way you arrived.

I am careful about all odors: food, garbage.

I also use Sport Wash on my laundered clothing. I use Sea-to-Summit soap leaves for hand washing far away from streams. I do not use hand sanitizer, because it has a strong odor and strong odors announce your presence. Also, Dr. Dean Odell demonstrated handwashing effectiveness on tv news, using petrie-dish bacterial growth. It showed hand sanitizer is not effective. Surfactants, like soap, are effective if there is an all over wash and rinse.

It may be the bears or moose, or whatever, avoid humans. But not all do.
    Last edited by Connie; 12-10-2014 at 18:33.

Journal Entries
    Images

As a female hiker, now hiking the AT currently, are bears a real concern for us? We are about 6 days in, now staying at our first hostel, but I know "that time of the month" will be arriving soon.
    Thanks!
    JB (South Side aka Tear Drop) and Stacy (Snacks aka Redemption) 2014/2015 - Rebuilding The Unbreakable....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyc...rhn5dwBltHGUxw
    New2theWild - come follow us!!

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    Have her get a "Diva Cup." They can be purchased online or at health food stores in the U.S.
    I have one of these and have used it for years but you still need to be able to empty it and clean it....how does that fit in with hiking?

Opsak, small.

Odor-proof.

Quote Originally Posted by JBandStacy2014 View Post
    As a female hiker, now hiking the AT currently, are bears a real concern for us? We are about 6 days in, now staying at our first hostel, but I know "that time of the month" will be arriving soon.
    Thanks!
    Bears are basically a non-issue about being dangerous in the Eastern US. There has been only a handful of reported deaths because of bears east of the Mississippi. Two have been near the AT in the TN/NC area but there is nothing to worry about. That being said, do follow universal precautions with food and toiletry items as they do mess with your stuff when they get a chance.

The only consistent danger on the AT is tree roots and rocks.
    IF your "number of posts" exceed your "days as a member" your knowledge is suspect.

Yerby Ray
    Newton, NC

Hi! I understand her concern. My husband and I thru hiked last year and did not see a single bear though I did worry about them. Our experience was not the norm, but still. To calm my nerves about it I made sure to bear bag any used pads/tampons. A good trick is to have a ziploc and a paper bag or opaque plastic bag around the ziploc to hide them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++