Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Periods and bears

Hello ladies,

I'm writing on behalf of my girlfriend, who doesn't speak English.

We are going this August to the AT and she is worried about bears being attracted to the blood she loses on her period. I don't want to reach for melodrama, but I know bears are predators with an extremely strong sense of smell, so the idea of them detecting her blood and investigating is maybe not crazy.

If anybody can tell me it's not a problem, or how to solve it, I, and she, would be very grateful.

Images

I am not a lady ,sorry but there has not been a worthy documentary about the bears that I have not watched.

The bears sense of smell is 7 times better than blood hound but this extra ordinary sense is not limited just to detecting the smell but they are extra ordinary in differentiating the source of smell. The smell of period blood is absolutely different from the fresh blood (actually it is not just blood in period but mostly blood tissue and debris) . Bears are not attracted to that smell. There has never been a report about bears being attracted to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    I am not a lady ,sorry but there has not been a worthy documentary about the bears that I have not watched.

The bears sense of smell is 7 times better than blood hound but this extra ordinary sense is not limited just to detecting the smell but they are extra ordinary in differentiating the source of smell. The smell of period blood is absolutely different from the fresh blood (actually it is not just blood in period but mostly blood tissue and debris) . Bears are not attracted to that smell. There has never been a report about bears being attracted to it.
    Thanks, that's very reassuring. I really hope I encounter a bear (from a safe distance), because of what you describe and other things. They really are extraordinary animals.

Images

Gorglewave, I would not worry about the Black Bears on the AT in this regards. They will be more interested in your food bag than you or your girlfriend. Hope you get to see one.

Images

Not to worry, the bears won't bother her. Now if there were sharks........
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

As the only female in the women only thread to respond, I would. . say there is absolutely nothing to worry about. Don't listen to wivestales or men!

Images

Now..can you give this forum back to the women so we can discuss low T and the benefits of saw palmetto.

Quote Originally Posted by doritotex View Post
    As the only female in the women only thread to respond, I would. . say there is absolutely nothing to worry about. Don't listen to wivestales or men!
    Quote Originally Posted by doritotex View Post
    Now..can you give this forum back to the women so we can discuss low T and the benefits of saw palmetto.
    PLEASE, easy does it! Don't be the opposite of a male chauvinist! It's a forum strictly related to female issues but males, when they have something WORTHWHILE to offer and offer it in a non bigoted non male chauvinistic respectful way, as KooKork has, the mods typically let that stand.

Somebody watched Anchorman way too many times!

Images

The one time the bear tried to get in our tent was when my wife was on her period. We had never brought food in the tent (not even gum). The bear took off when I hit it (luckily for us). I'm outa here.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Check out this new story to dispell the myth:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1776474.html

As mentioned in the article, the whole myth that bears are attracted to menstrating women started when some women were attacked and killed by grizzly bears. With a lack of any obvious evidence why the bear attacked these women, it was speculated that it might be their menstration. That speculation eventually became myth.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Check out this new story to dispell the myth:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1776474.html

As mentioned in the article, the whole myth that bears are attracted to menstrating women started when some women were attacked and killed by grizzly bears. With a lack of any obvious evidence why the bear attacked these women, it was speculated that it might be their menstration. That speculation eventually became myth.
    Worse yet, it became NOS dogma. It took not just actual facts but the voices of many women park employees to put an end to warnings of this "hazard".
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I've done a lot of backpacking in bear country, around both black bears and grizzlies, and have never had a problem because of being female. I have had bears go after my food (AT and JMT) but they had no interest in me.

What should be kept in mind, something that many men do not understand is that the female vagina does actually excrete substances that are very odiferous and that scent driven animals are affected by. I would be concerned that leaving menstruous pads or other various hygienic disposables in areas where animals would smell them and then attack, would be highly irresponsible.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kentlady View Post
    What should be kept in mind, something that many men do not understand is that the female vagina does actually excrete substances that are very odiferous and that scent driven animals are affected by. I would be concerned that leaving menstruous pads or other various hygienic disposables in areas where animals would smell them and then attack, would be highly irresponsible.
    There has been a few limited expereinces about the effects of menstruation on bears attraction but none was proven but still not dismissed in some occasions but there is difference between a hungry bear who comes for food and may attack and a curious bear who comes to investigate the source of the smell if you know what I mean? Just curious not hungry.

I don't know how long you plan to be hiking, but many women find they don't have periods while long distance backpacking.

Have her get a "Diva Cup." They can be purchased online or at health food stores in the U.S.

My hiking friend bought one last year after reading up on it, and expecting her period during our 2 week hike. Well, she didn't get it....meaning the period. She did get the Diva Cup. She experimented with it for 2 months prior to our hike.

Actually, from July 2012 until now, she has ONLY used the Diva Cup - no tampax - no pads, no liners! Plus - she was a heavier bleeder....but the Diva Cup is still fine.

June 2013: We hike 80 miles in PA. She had her period. She used her Diva Cup. The ONLY time she had a problem was when she inserted it in the woods. She quickly learned that it was easier to insert it sitting down (due to angle) -meaning in a privy. She also found that she could go up to 24 hours without emptying it. However, NOTE: She did carry hand sanitizer and ant-bacterial wipes to clean it each time she emptied. Plus, she said she planned to boil it for a while once arriving home.

Side Note: Laura feels SO strongly about the benefits of the Diva Cup - she plans to introduce her daughter to it when she gets to age.... no more tampax or pads in that house!!!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gypsy97 View Post
    I don't know how long you plan to be hiking, but many women find they don't have periods while long distance backpacking.
    Well that was never true with me. In fact mine was erratic and sometimes hit when I didn't expect it and lasted much longer.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

That is not an issue. I deal with black bears a lot, and it always comes down to the food--or food residue--that you bring into your tent. The bears are usually after chocolate, not human flesh. Keep you tent and campsite, clean, use a bear bag, and you will be OK.

I agree. Sharks on the other hand...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...8QnT5HCgADw6vw

Quote Originally Posted by Game Warden View Post
    That is not an issue. I deal with black bears a lot, and it always comes down to the food--or food residue--that you bring into your tent. The bears are usually after chocolate, not human flesh. Keep you tent and campsite, clean, use a bear bag, and you will be OK.

sent from samsonite using tapioca 2
    Let me go

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++