WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Peeing in the night

I am generally of a nervous disposition and usually have to get up several times in the night to pee. I'd really prefer to avoid having to get up and out the tent, because with all the rigmarole, I'd probably end up not getting back to sleep. Is there some kind of bottle or some way to pee inside the tent (I'm a man...). I know old folks in hospital can get something so they don't have to get up all the time.

Use an empty drink bottle (gatoraid, etc). Mine is wide-mouth because it's easier to deal with in the dark, and is shaped completely differently than my water bottles.

Images

I always pee in the bottle during the night. It is too difficult and inconvenient to get out of the tent in the middle of the night. any large mouth larger than 700 cc plastic bottle do the job for me.

Is this bottle the same bottle that I may carry water in it during the day? I pass answering it.

Thanks a lot for the answers. A normal plastic bottle with a wide opening is the best plan.

A gatorade bottle is your friend :-)

I use a Gatoraid bottle to pee in and leave the G/A label on it. I use a power aid bottle to drink from and strip the label and label it PEE bottle with a magic marker. Never had a problem with anybody taking my water bottle.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

sp Gatorade
    SUPPORT LNT

Gatorade it will be, then. I last saw a Gatorade bottle in 1991, on my last visit to the US (Maine and Florida).

Try a 20 ounce Gatorade bottle. Drink the contents, rinse it out, and then do something to make it obvious that it is not a drinking bottle in the dark. Duct tape works pretty well since the feel of it is very different from a plastic bottle in the dark.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    I use a Gatoraid bottle to pee in and leave the G/A label on it. I use a power aid bottle to drink from and strip the label and label it PEE bottle with a magic marker. Never had a problem with anybody taking my water bottle.
    That's pretty clever and very funny! Just hope you never get confused...

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    That's pretty clever and very funny! Just hope you never get confused...
    Never have confused the two that I know of.
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

Carried two 12 (?) oz powerade bottles. Only had those in my tent with me, so I knew what they were. I have 16 oz bottles for water. The first 15-20 days, I was filling up both bottles at night. My brother, the nurse, was concerned enough with the volume that he asked his Dr bosses about it. Turns out, combined with high-intake and a LOT of exercise, I was producing and getting rid of a LOT of waste. It got to only one bottle after the first 30 days or so.

I STRONGLY recommend NOT doing the bottle thing with a hammock. Very dangerous, very prone to spillage.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

You folks must have small...bladders.

I don't trust anything smaller than a wide mouth quart Nalgene.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    Carried two 12 (?) oz powerade bottles. Only had those in my tent with me, so I knew what they were. I have 16 oz bottles for water. The first 15-20 days, I was filling up both bottles at night. My brother, the nurse, was concerned enough with the volume that he asked his Dr bosses about it. Turns out, combined with high-intake and a LOT of exercise, I was producing and getting rid of a LOT of waste. It got to only one bottle after the first 30 days or so.

I STRONGLY recommend NOT doing the bottle thing with a hammock. Very dangerous, very prone to spillage.
    You bring up a good point but I use a single 32 oz bottle and usually fill it about 3/4 full. I never want to completely fill a bottle. When it gets too close to the top I get real uncomfortable if you know what I mean.
    SUPPORT LNT

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    You bring up a good point but I use a single 32 oz bottle and usually fill it about 3/4 full. I never want to completely fill a bottle. When it gets too close to the top I get real uncomfortable if you know what I mean.
    I will add that 3/4 full is after going twice. I drink lots of water before going to sleep at night. If I don't my legs can cramp during the night.
    SUPPORT LNT

Yeah. I use an old, retired Nalgene bottle. I put a hockey tape band around the middle so that it is clear even in the night that this is the 'urinaid' bottle. On productive nights I also go about 3/4 full. You want to allow enough space to be able to tip it and not dip it.

It is especially handy now that I sleep as much in a hammock as in a tent. Getting out of a hammock to go and pee is a major PIA. ;-)
    Let me go

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgiewave View Post
    I am generally of a nervous disposition and usually have to get up several times in the night to pee. I'd really prefer to avoid having to get up and out the tent, because with all the rigmarole, I'd probably end up not getting back to sleep. Is there some kind of bottle or some way to pee inside the tent (I'm a man...). I know old folks in hospital can get something so they don't have to get up all the time.
    Depends.............

I'm very careful at night not to drink too much water after taking my last "trip to the woods". However, there are times when that hasn't worked out too well, and I've had to relieve myself before sunrise. I'm not real keen on having to climb out of my bag and tent and head outside, so I discovered in desperation one night that a zip-lock freezer bag works out pretty well in an emergency. I use a quart bag with the slide closure since they seal up very well without much effort. I keep it in the vestibule outside the tent, and after use, it goes back to the vestibule. You've gotta be pretty careful during use, but so far so good! I dump it in the morning, rinse it out during the day at a stream crossing, and carry it in an outside mesh pocket in my pack. After using it for a while, I pitch it and start using a new one. It weighs next to nothing and takes up no pack space.
    Last edited by rusty bumper; 04-30-2013 at 22:21.

If it's likely to freeze overnight don't leave the pee bottle outside or you'll be stuck carrying around a bottle of frozen pee the next day until it melts and you can dump it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++