WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Double zip gallon zip loc

Quote Originally Posted by maybe clem View Post
    If it's likely to freeze overnight don't leave the pee bottle outside or you'll be stuck carrying around a bottle of frozen pee the next day until it melts and you can dump it.
    Had not even considered that happening. I leave my bottle in the vestibule and never had that problem. I wonder what the freezing point is ? Probalby depend on the salinity. Anyway this is what I have been using for the past few years and it works great.

http://www.rei.com/product/670588/na...9-001b2166c62d

I'd also like to add to to this lovely discussion that the Nalgene wide mouth bottle is a good idea because you do need some clearance for the air to go in and out of the bottle while you pee. In my case I found that if the opening is a little too tight then the 'business' doesn't go a well as it should.
    Let me go

Images

Let me add that as an old guy who does get up a couple of times to answer the call of nature, I rarely have any trouble getting back to sleep. It's actually kinda cool to walk out of the tent or hammock, and see all the stars, or the strong moonlight. It can be cold in the winter, of course, but that just makes the sleeping bag feel all the better. No way to mix up bottles if you don't pee in any of them
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

In a hammock you just lean to one side and shoot but make sure your tarp or shoes are not in the line of fire.

--louis

Quote Originally Posted by louisb View Post
    In a hammock you just lean to one side and shoot but make sure your tarp or shoes are not in the line of fire.

--louis
    I was just gonna post this. It takes a little maneuvering, but I have been able to relieve myself while laying in the hammock many times. Usually I just get up, as I kind of enjoy a little midnight wander, but sometimes I'm just lazy.

I'd just rather get up in the night and go off in the woods to pee. Trying to pee into a bottle while in my bag on the top loft level of an AT shelter will result in a very bad experience...especially if the portion of the shelter immediatley below me is occupied.

I wouldn't do it in a shelter with others. That is a little weird.

Although this entire topic I a little off the charts. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    I'd just rather get up in the night and go off in the woods to pee. Trying to pee into a bottle while in my bag on the top loft level of an AT shelter will result in a very bad experience...especially if the portion of the shelter immediatley below me is occupied.

sent from samsonite using tapioca 2
    Let me go

Images

RamblingBladder ---------I am sorry, Hiker

Agree 100%

Duct tape, small amount

I carry 3

Pee

Booze

gatorade or whatever

Works for me...............a close friend who joins me for a few days every Fall who had prostrate cancer, shared that this was the BEST suggestion I had for crucial gear to carry

A Pee Bottle............speaking of which, is that trademarked?

Images

This thread scares me. Maybe it has to do with memories of being a 8 year old on a road trip having to pee... mom expected me to use a Dr Pepper can, while in the backseat of the car. I am quite happy to get up, out of my tent, and go find a tree to go pee all over. This is one area where I am happy to leave a trace
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by Del Q View Post
    RamblingBladder ---------I am sorry, Hiker

Agree 100%

Duct tape, small amount

I carry 3

Pee

Booze

gatorade or whatever

Works for me...............a close friend who joins me for a few days every Fall who had prostrate cancer, shared that this was the BEST suggestion I had for crucial gear to carry

A Pee Bottle............speaking of which, is that trademarked?

My bottle has the words "YOU'RE IN!" written on the yellow hockey tape taped around it.

sent from samsonite using tapioca 2
    Let me go

There are so many variables as to rather or not I will or can use the bottle.

Some of my tents I can stand up in front of the door and clear the vestibule, some I can't. One of my tents (that I love to hate) I can't even get in and out without crawling in backwards, It's so tight I don't I could even sit up enough to use it, I can't even change shirts in that sucker.

Cold weather doesn't bother me enough to not get out and aim for a tree, pouring rain and I mean pouring does.

Here in South Florida mosquitoes are bad enough that you can't even open a screen door on the tent 11 1/2 months of the year from right before sunset until about an two hours after sunset. Doing so will fill the tent with the suckers. Aiming for the bushes in such skeeter clouds will acquire at least one bite in a place you can't itch in public.

Nice to have the option when needed.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    There are so many variables as to rather or not I will or can use the bottle.

Some of my tents I can stand up in front of the door and clear the vestibule, some I can't. One of my tents (that I love to hate) I can't even get in and out without crawling in backwards, It's so tight I don't I could even sit up enough to use it, I can't even change shirts in that sucker.

Cold weather doesn't bother me enough to not get out and aim for a tree, pouring rain and I mean pouring does.

Here in South Florida mosquitoes are bad enough that you can't even open a screen door on the tent 11 1/2 months of the year from right before sunset until about an two hours after sunset. Doing so will fill the tent with the suckers. Aiming for the bushes in such skeeter clouds will acquire at least one bite in a place you can't itch in public.

Nice to have the option when needed.

Ha Ha!! That's a funny word picture you just painted WM. I like the one where you are crawling in your tent backwards... LOL!! The skeeters in FL sound just like the clouds of those blood suckers we used to fight off in N.H.

I get out of the tent if needed, but don't necessarily take too many steps from it, lol.

Now, wide-mouth gatorade bottles were extremely useful when we were making the 24-hour drive to FL for spring break, back in the dark ages when I was in college.

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingHiker:1466299
    Try a 20 ounce Gatorade bottle. Drink the contents, rinse it out, and then do something to make it obvious that it is not a drinking bottle in the dark.
    Why rinse it? It wont make it taste better.

If I were desperate, a 1 quart Gatorade or powerade bottle would be the way to go. Cut notches in the lid and the neck of the bottle to mark it. Notches are more discrete and easy to tell by feel. I often drink during the night and need to be certain which is which.

Still, unless it's a blizzard outside... I am far too scared of overfills or spills. I opt for the five staggered steps outside.

Images

Not a UL or how is the term for fugal gear, dirtbagging but this option doesn't require the hiker to even wake up let alone reach for a bottle. It does require that the backpacker be male.
    Condom cath & foley bag set up.
    No mistaking that set up for drinking water.

Images

I kinda of semi sit on the edge of my hammock and piss in a gatorade bottle I sleep under a top quilt so its not a big deal to roll out from underneath it and sit on the side of the hammock

Quote Originally Posted by pelenaka View Post
    Not a UL or how is the term for fugal gear, dirtbagging but this option doesn't require the hiker to even wake up let alone reach for a bottle. It does require that the backpacker be male.
    Condom cath & foley bag set up.
    No mistaking that set up for drinking water.
    Tried that option as an experiment after learning of them from my hospice work, putting them on others.

Extremely uncomfortable, I'd have to be under hospice care to ever use one again.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Don't ever go backpacking with R Kelly.

Ugggh. I think I just threw up in my mouth. Just thinking about this topic is making me gag. I can't imagine anything keeping me from just going out side and peeing. Not a Georgia downpour nor Maine mosquitoes, not rime ice or hoar frost, not even if I were three layers deep in a warm mummy bag snowed-in in a sub-zero mountain-top snow cave would I think twice. Not in my bag.
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++