Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Section Hiker

Default Backpack Woes, Need Suggestions

I am having a heck of a time finding a backpack that fits right. I have an Osprey Kestrel 58 I bought at the end of last year in preps for some backpacking this summer. I love this pack, except the shoulder straps do not fit right plus rub my neck, and the hip belt is probably too short but would be okay. Shoulder straps are not curving around my shoulders, just pulling back on my collarbone. Hip belt is not removable, harness is. I brought home an Ariel and an Aura. The Ariel really pulls away from my back when fully loaded, but the harness is great. I took it out and put it on the Kestrel, thought I had a solution until realizing the load lifter straps on the Ariel harness are too wide for the Kestrel's buckles. The Aura doesn't fit right at all. I tried the Viva and it was fairly comfortable but very hot against the back (no mesh). I tried a Deueter, didn't fit right at all. I'd really like to try a Gregory Deva 60 and having trouble finding one in my area. I know they are heavier but if it fits right I am good with that.

I think it's my shape that is the problem: I am pear shaped--small rounded shoulders, hippy, torso measures 19". I'm 5'9, 165 lbs.

Anyone have similar issues, suggestions, ideas? I'm getting pretty frustrated.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

+1 on the Gregory Deva. I've had mine a couple of years and it is incredibly comfortable, even with a heavier load. It's the only pack I've ever used that didn't tear up my shoulders like you described.Maybe you could order one from REI - you could always return it if you don't like it. I think the pack comes in 3 torso sizes XS, S, and M so you would need to measure first to make sure you have the proper fit.

Section Hiker

Thanks, Train Wreck! I do need a M, but made some calls this morning and there is all of ONE in all of Central Ohio. Going to head over there at lunch. Still, if anyone else has suggestions I'd love to hear them too!

"

You should try an external frame pack. My back always hurt with internal frame packs. I now use an alpenlite external frame and have no pain. Newer is not better. Use what works for you.

I just went through this and found that a youth pack fit me. Ended up with a Gregory. I think it is going to work great!

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

ULA Catalyst is my go to. I have a Gregory too, but the ULA is awesome!

Images

My girlfriend recently got the Deva 60. Had it out on a couple of training hikes and loves the way it fits and rides. I h have the men's baltoro version and think it's a great, albiet heavy, pack. The ONLY thing that irks me a bit are the amount of straps hanging everywhere, but that's easily remedied if you're inclined. Great packs.

Section Hiker

Thanks, RCBear. I picked up literally the last Medium in greater Columbus yesterday--go figure. Packed all my gear and walked 2 miles (all I had time for). Feels good, I think this is the one. Literally the only thing that I noticed at all was my total packed weight, and I will get used to that. There are definitely a lot of straps and thingies hanging off this pack. There will be modifcations! No wonder it is heavier than others.

Anyone looking at packs and having a tough time, I would definitely try this on. I had several outfitter employees tell me "Oh, you don't want that, it's heavy." Well, it doesn't matter if it fits right and fully loaded, it's not going to matter.

Thanks, all!

"

I'm also pear-shaped, and found a ton of packs that didn't fit right. For me, it was the REI Flash 52 (short torso) that fit the best. Most of the others pulled to the back, which would have felt uncomfortable had I actually hiked in them. This one isn't absolutely perfect, but I've been hiking a couple of hours most days to build stamina, and I'm still happy with it. I tried at least 8-10 different brands.

Wendy P.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Do you do any travel that might take you by an REI? The closest ones to you seem to be in Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, and Ann Arbor. At least the REI's I've been to have the equipment to try to help fit you into a pack, including test weights so that you can even load it down to see how it feels.

Journal Entries

call or email McHale packs they will fit you & pack

i have had a similar problem... the only packs that i have found to be remotely comfortable are gregory packs. i have the jade, but i have heard that the deva is incredibly comfortable, if a little heavy.
    all of us have a place in history. mine is clouds.

I was just at the REI in Cincinnati, Ohio helping a friend (girl) pick out a new pack. REI just started what I think they call the "perfect fit" or "custom fit", where all or most of the packs that they carry in store have interchangeable parts, such as hip belts. You should try going to an REI and getting fitted under this new thing they are doing. Good luck.
    Transcend the Bull$hit

I've got a jam 50 which is great, and a Berghaus climbing sac which is 45 litres and no frame, they both have hip belts and are both excellent. I've also got a woman's berghaus 55 plus pockets, too heavy for long distances but comfy. If you find a specific womans sack that can help a lot, cos the cut is different.

Section Hiker

Thanks, but I bought a pack some time ago after I posted this thread last year. I did buy a men's, it does fit better than a women's.

"

I am about your size and had a Gregory jade. Have also tried my daughter's Deva. I thought both were torturous. Now I use an Arc Blast by Z Packs with surprisingly less support, and it feels way better. My back hurst substantially less without all that lumbar padding and weight of the backpack.
    Demeter's Blog

Demeter's Video Channel

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

I like the womens Boreas Lost Coast 60 alot. I had all kinds of problems with an Osprey Kestrel as well. (I have a Kestrel 48) The Boreas Lost Coast is really comfortable, has a great hip belt with the best pockets I've found, and you can stuff this pack with as much or as little as you like. But I use a Gregory Maya 18 as a daypack, and they really are comfortable well made packs as a brand.

I loved everything about the Deva....until I tried one on. It was a horrible fit for me. I got the Kelty Fleet 55, and have been very happy with it. My daypack is a Gregory Pulse, I highly recommend this as well.

+ 1 on the ula packs. Call them and thay will help you with fit. You cant go wrong with ULA.
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!

I have been searching also. I have two internal, fairly light backpacks both in the 50L range. I really like the black diamond 50 I have but it is a small 50 if that makes sense to you. It's really designed more of climbers I think. I am planning a thru hike next season but want most my stuff now so I can continually use it to work out all the kinks so I am finalizing my pack now. Problem for me with the diamond is that for a 3 day or less trip, especially in the summer, this pack is great, though a bit hot. If I start loading it up with more stuff it doesn't do as well and leaves me with lower back pain. I'm sure if I was younger this would not be an issue but my back has taken some abuse over the years. I hated to go heavier but about a year ago I tried a Trekker 65 and liked it for the 10 minutes or so that I wore it but that sort of stuck in my mind. Really didn't want to put on another 2 pounds over my internal but I decided to give it a shot a few weeks ago and bought one. I have only used it about 4 times but each time I have used it I have loaded it up with a full thru hike load. My base weight is 23lbs but will look into taking off 2 or 3 more pounds. 5 days of food and a days worth of water right now weighs 12lbs so I am up to 35lbs and can easily go over that by 2-3lbs. This is my winter weight but I don't want to carry that much if I don't have to. I am still getting used to the external frame but so far I like most all aspects of the pack. Wasn't really hard to pack all my stuff into it and it transfers the weight to my hips well. I have not put it to a hard test yet but the hikes I have gone on I am fairing much better than I did with my diamond. That won't be true for everyone but it seems to be working for me. It is very comfortable, I only have 3 complaints. It keeps the weight up very high which is good for walking upright but I can't reach my water bottle so will have to add a holder to the belt in some fashion. I have a squeak somewhere in the left shoulder strap that I have not been able to track down, and there are no pockets on the belt. The goods are it is built well, great material, easily swallows gear, comfortable so far and I guess because of the way it transfers weight to my hips, or because I don't have to lean as far forward, my back is happier. Never really considered an external frame before but I think this will be my thru hike bag, at least for my winter load.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++