WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    Get a lawyer and get what's owed to you.
    No injuries. You don't need a lawyer.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    No injuries. You don't need a lawyer.
    I will agree with Max here. You get the average national Value of your vehicle, including sales tax on that value. You will get X amount of days for Loss of use of transportation (rental), while you find a new one. You can take an amount of money for compensation for that loss of use, it will not be alot. I am no lawyer, but I run a collision repair facility (autobody shop). Take the check!!!
    Last edited by coach lou; 05-02-2013 at 16:53.

Images

I do not want to fight that fight with a lawyer. I want this over and done. I'm fine - sore but yeah, I braced myself and held on to the steering wheel instead of going limp. Advil is fine. The car in front of me had a lady driver. At first she told me that she was "fine" and she was just pissed that her front license plate was bent from being pushed into the sedan in front of her. As soon as the paramedics showed up it was suddenly "my back, my neck" and she was being hauled off on a stretcher with a neck brace. Right. Her car had zero damage even though my van ran into it from about 4' away and I went from a standstill. I won't be that ambulance/law suit vulture.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

First, I'm happy no one was hurt. Vehicles may be cherished but they can be replaced.

Second, I'm appalled by all this "get a lawyer and sue" talk. It's premature for that. Let the insurance companies handle it, and if it cannot be settled amicably, then it's time to talk about lawsuits. Chances are the other driver's insurance company would not want things to go that far.

Images

Glad you are Ok. I would go to your doctor to be checked out just in case. Last time I was in a wreak was when a guy ran a stop light, hit the car that had the green light going thru the intersection so hard that it was knock across the intersection into my truck . Had enough time to say "Oh S*** I'm going to be hit" then bam. Guy who ran the light got out his car yelling that he the right away. Fortunately I was able to talk to the police first. Turns out we had same insurance company and the repair shop said they had just fixed his car from another wreak he had caused.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Too bad about your van! Just FYI: usually the whiplash isn't felt until the next day! Your neck may be sore when you wake up!

Mrs. B, I'm glad that you were not seriously injured! Agree w/ shelb about whiplash not being felt right away. Would recommend that you consider getting checked out by your doc.

Also, can understand your sentiment about your van. My Explorer is a '95 and has 188k on it and is close to the end of useful life. I really need to get a new vehicle but I am having a hard time parting with it.
    Trillium

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    It was a she and her excuse was that she had dropped her ID badge (we were near the main gate of Ft. Detrick) and had reached down for it. When she looked up there I was. My husband is convinced she was on her phone, which is illegal in Maryland. But short of getting her phone and checking it how would we ever know. She immediately admitted being at fault, admitted it over and over again. Within seconds of the accident we were swarmed by EMTs in ambulances, fire trucks, and city cops. I have no idea who made the calls. But I did hear her tell the cops, too, that she was at fault.
    Admit it, or deny it, since she hit you from behind, by law, she is automatically at fault. Since your vehicle then hit the vehicle in front of you, you are at fault for that. If that vehicle hit another vehicle in front, they are at fault. You see how it works. Get a lawyer and protect yourself.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Images

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post
    Admit it, or deny it, since she hit you from behind, by law, she is automatically at fault. Since your vehicle then hit the vehicle in front of you, you are at fault for that. If that vehicle hit another vehicle in front, they are at fault. You see how it works. Get a lawyer and protect yourself.
    Actually, no I am not at fault for anything, at least not here in Maryland. USAA has already said that the last car, the one that hit me, is at fault and liable for all of other 3 cars involved and that I, and they, are 100% not responsible or considered negligent in anyway. She's the one with the big whompin' load of worry right now. I was a good 4 or 5 feet off the bumper of the car ahead of me and at a full stop, perfectly reasonable distance.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

thanks for serving and sharing with the AT community. See you on the Trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I get that a lot. The part about making women cry, that is.

RainMan

Hey Rain Man..Good luck with getting a future shuttle from now on!!

Images

I'm glad you're okay.

Images

Sorry this happened to you...just glad you're ok!
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Images

Quote Originally Posted by chiefduffy View Post
    Sorry this happened to you...just glad you're ok!
    +1 - sorry to hear about that. At least the Hummer driver seems to be stepping up for her part. Go figure, forthrightness...sad that I am surprised by that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    Actually, no I am not at fault for anything, at least not here in Maryland. USAA has already said that the last car, the one that hit me, is at fault and liable for all of other 3 cars involved and that I, and they, are 100% not responsible or considered negligent in anyway. She's the one with the big whompin' load of worry right now. I was a good 4 or 5 feet off the bumper of the car ahead of me and at a full stop, perfectly reasonable distance.
    I'm glad you got that cleared up. Also, happy you were not hurt. Get the USAA determination in writing before you sign off on a settlement. You don't want to have any insurance issues to come back to haunt you later.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++