WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default The Thru-Hiker's Manual for the Palmetto Trail

The Palmetto Trail in South Carolina is now connected together using temporary road routes. It is 472 miles and traverses the entire state. Hiking this trail will give you the opportunity to see, explore and learn about South Carolina. From the Mountains and wilderness trails near the Georgia border to the small and larg towns and cities. You'll get to visit some of the state's colleges and universities and wind your way through the swamps to end the experience at the Atlantic Ocean in between Georgetown and Charleston. The Thru-Hiker's Manual for the Palmetto Trail is a guidebook with every detail about the trail listed to help with planning and navigation. All resources are included whether in the woods or in towns. Maps are provided for most of the towns as well as a business directory of all stores, restaurants and shops along the way. Check out http://thruhikersmanual.com to get your copy for the Palmetto Trail. Alos available are the Thru-Hiker's Manuals for the Sheltowee Trace in Kentucky (280 miles) and the Mountains-to-Sea Trail of North Carolina (1,000 miles).

Enjoy this years hiking season!!!
    Scot "Taba" Ward

Default Palmetto Trail not yet complete, 330 miles open to public

I work with Palmetto Conservation Foundation, the organization that builds and maintains the Palmetto Trail. First, thank you for bringing attention to the trail. We are very proud of the hard work we have put into this project over the last twenty years with the help of our partners. Our ultimate goal is to make people aware of this amazing resource. I would like to point out that the trail is still incomplete, and some of the complete passages have not yet been connected. Currently approximately 330 miles of trail are open to the public, and we're excited to add an additional 16 in Greenville County in just a few weeks. Building a trail, especially one of this magnitude, is an incredible process that sometimes takes many years to fully develop. As a non-adversarial group, we work hard to cultivate positive relationships private landowners, businesses, state parks, local governments, and other entities. Building and maintaining the best routes takes time, patience, and, of course, funding. When complete, we expect the trail to stretch over 475 miles across South Carolina from the mountains to the sea.

We have maps of the completed passages of the trail available on our website: www.palmettoconservation.org/maps.asp. We also offer a manual with maps, places to eat and stay, and fun history and facts for the 162 continuous miles of trail in the Lowcountry with the Lowcountry Guide: http://www.palmettoconservation.org/...trailguide.asp. If you have any questions about the trail, please don't hesitate to contact our office at (803) 771-0870. Happy trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Taba View Post
    The Palmetto Trail in South Carolina is now connected together using temporary road routes. It is 472 miles and traverses the entire state. Hiking this trail will give you the opportunity to see, explore and learn about South Carolina. From the Mountains and wilderness trails near the Georgia border to the small and larg towns and cities. You'll get to visit some of the state's colleges and universities and wind your way through the swamps to end the experience at the Atlantic Ocean in between Georgetown and Charleston. The Thru-Hiker's Manual for the Palmetto Trail is a guidebook with every detail about the trail listed to help with planning and navigation. All resources are included whether in the woods or in towns. Maps are provided for most of the towns as well as a business directory of all stores, restaurants and shops along the way. Check out http://thruhikersmanual.com to get your copy for the Palmetto Trail. Alos available are the Thru-Hiker's Manuals for the Sheltowee Trace in Kentucky (280 miles) and the Mountains-to-Sea Trail of North Carolina (1,000 miles).

Enjoy this years hiking season!!!
    Scot "Taba" Ward

If you will forgive me for this but I spent 2 months walking across South Carolina connecting the Palmetto Trail together using public roads. Therefore the Palmetto Trail is connected together to where a long distance or thru-hiker can walk from the beginning of the trail to the end of the trail without any gaps. Public roads are open to the public. This is a complete path not a complete trail. But it is hikable and an absolutely wonderful adventure. Please come out to the Laurel Building (Aaron's Satelite) to hear a presentation about the Palmetto Trail on Saturday May 18th during Trail Days at 11:00 am.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Taba, do the public roads require death defying acrobatics to avoid getting run over by speeding traffic?

I had enough of that on the GA Pinhoti trail.

The back roads I had chosen were a lot of dirt and less traffic. The only time there is a main road is when there was no other option and good choulders or just to cross the highway. I did not want to put hikers in any danger and I believe I chose the right roads to keep everybody safe out there.

Thanks - I'll pick up a copy to support your efforts. I've used both your MST and Sheltowee Trace guides and they are superb....

BTW, I would like to put in a vote for a SOBO oriented Sheltowee Trace guide....

in 2014 I should have that available

Just a pdf would be great.

++ New Posts ++