WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Lightbulb Boots for Hiking in Desert/Hot Climate

Hey everyone,

I wore trail runners on my thru-hike last year and loved them, but now I live in southern New Mexico and it's no green tunnel... Boots are pretty much required for hiking out here due to the cactus, sharp/pointy rocks and plants. The entire environment out here seems to be out to bite/prick/stab you.

I only find GTX boots online which make my feet heat up, and although they serve the purpose, I'd prefer a breathable boot. Any suggestions or experienced desert hikers with ideas for me?

All I've found is the Lowa Zephyr Desert Mid, but the durability cited in the reviews doesn't have my convinced as I hike roughly 30 miles a week and don't wish to replace my boots every few months.

Thanks for the help. Hike on!
    No worries; we're here to learn.
    My ink trail.

I have lived in southern NM for the last 40 years so I understand the problem. For the desert areas I like the Merrill Ventilator Mid. It breaths fairly well.

For the Gila or Sacramento Mountains I usually switch to running shoes, except for winter.

I prefer something heavier, with more toe protection, like a Keen, if I am going off trail during a SAR mission. You never know what is out there.

The rocks out here do tend to reduce the life of shoes.

Welcome to the southwest. Lots of interesting hiking around here.

Images

AggieAl, thanks! That's so funny that someone from Las Cruces responded to my post!!

I've lived here for 9 months now, and I've done a bit of hiking thus far. I agree with you on trail runners in the Gila, I hiked a 15-miler there a few weeks back and I went through probably 50+ river crossings. I do wear boots in the Organs though, I've summited Rabbit Ears Plateau, Organ Peak, Bishop's Cap, and Baylor Peak thus far, and I'm excited to get on top of just about all of them. I can't wait to hit the Lincoln/Sacramento area, I hear that's the spot to go in the summer when temps rise above the century mark.

I am not used to hiking with boots, but am growing accustomed. I currently wear Merrell waterproof boots, I can't even remember the model, but I'll check out the Moabs. I just hesitate now with Merrell because I wore these boots out so quickly it's sad.

My buddy Aaron Hobson is on the SAR team for Las Cruces, you probably know him then...

Thanks again for the advice.
    My ink trail.

Images

The more I read about the desert / hot hiking on the PCT and CDT the more appealing it becomes to buying a camel as a pet

Set it free when it gets green................

Images

Well, I'm from Cleveland, Ohio and all my hiking was in the midwest before the AT. Now that I'm a thru-hiker living in the Southwest, it's a whole other animal out here... You have to be very well prepared and smart about your hikes. Rock cairns are the new white blaze, and heat, cactus, rock, snakes, drought, thorns, and scree, are your new trail mates. I love how different it is and how much is required of you to hike difficult terrain successfully out here.

Luckily, living in the U.S. gives us a kaleidoscope of hiking options. Now I just need to find some boots that'll breath and hopefully not fall apart too quickly.
    My ink trail.

Default Boots for Hiking in Desert/Hot Climate

Hey y'all. Just wanted to pop in and say hey from Shiprock, NM. Fellow east coaster always down to hike anywhere around the land of enchantment. I like my keen targhee II mid for the high desert up around this way

I found these the last time I was in REI. All leather. Light weight. Gore-Tex free. NOT made in China. They are worth considering. Alas, I found the Lowa boots after I bought a pair of Asolo 520 boots. My bad.

http://www.lowaboots.com/catalog/Sho...egory=3&Type=M

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Garlic
    Images

I'm puzzled about the perceived need for boots in the desert. I hiked the CDT and PCT, as well as the AZT in trail runners, and now live in AZ where I bushwhack plenty of desert terrain in trail runners. I work with a volunteer trail crew every week as well, and not a single pair of boots in the bunch. I really don't hike with anyone in the desert who wears anything heavier than a Moab Ventilator shoe, like the Aggie above.

I did try mesh water shoes once and that didn't work out so well. Ditto for my friend who tried Vibram Five Fingers and stepped on a cholla.

As with any terrain, you need to keep an eye on where you walk with light shoes and to walk very carefully off trail. My first hundred miles on the AZT I got stuck a few times and learned some lessons. The second hundred miles--not a single stick. There is a learning curve in new country.

Do you have cholla where you live? If so, carry a comb, the perfect cholla removal tool. A hemostat is a good idea, too.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

*I'm puzzled about the perceived need for boots in the desert.

First thought that went through my head too!

You can get beefier trail runners that still breathe well yet provide decent protection from thorns, rough rocks, etc. NO NEED for a boot especially a high cut heavy leather boot in the desert to protect feet from these things. When desert trail hiking or bush wacking in a desert with abundant thorny cacti and other spiky plants(including some palm species) I carefully watch where I'm going and where I place my feet especially if Thorny Mesquite(BRUTAL!, the thorns can go right through the sole of a shoe), Cholla, young Joshua Trees, other stiff spined Yuccas, paddle cacti(Opuntia spp), and like plants are abundant. Look for leather or synthetic protection but with shoes that still have breathable other materials or panels incorporated into the design like the Merrel Mob Ventilators which come in both low and mid cuts models. I combine shoes like these with NON WP shortie gaiters made of Schoeller or similar very breathable fabrics but which also provide additional protection from thorny plants, sharp rocks(lava can be BRUTAL on your ankles and shins), etc. I'll often use Dirty Girl gaiters in the desert when on trails.

As with any terrain, you need to keep an eye on where you walk with light shoes and to walk very carefully off trail. My first hundred miles on the AZT I got stuck a few times and learned some lessons. The second hundred miles--not a single stick. There is a learning curve in new country.

Do you have cholla where you live? If so, carry a comb, the perfect cholla removal tool. A hemostat is a good idea, too.

Garlic's got good ideas. When in the desert I always carry tweezers and neosporin and, often, alcohol swabs(pads).

I never use GTX on feet. Use all leather (non-china made) boots and treat with aquaseal or sno-seal. BTW, you can still buy quality boots made in Italy and other European countries. I believe very few boots are made in the states these days. Shame.

.....the reason I don't like GTX on feet is that it's too hot and holds in sweat. If you insist on using trail runners, you might be able to use gaiters for ankle protection, but you're back to keeping your feet hot. I feel that boots are needed very much for desert type hiking mainly due to the protection they give. Snakes, Scorpions, an occasional Gila Monster as well as cacti and other such things. I also wear gaiters with my boots to keep out the things that make me have to stop.

Why not join the Big Bend Chat Forum and ask the same question. You might also consider visiting Big Bend.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Why not join the Big Bend Chat Forum and ask the same question. You might also consider visiting Big Bend.

Wayne
    Well this is kinda off topic but my left pinky finger still hasn't totally healed up after six months because a large long Banana yucca spike went thorough it. I impaled myself upon it when I tripped and fell while hiking the Outer Loop of the Chisos Mts in Big Bend NP. Told you you have to watch where you are going in the desert, on the ridges, in the swamps, and, well, BASICALLY ALWAYS! LOL.

Ok, Sassy Windsor. Go ahead. Say it. I told you you need boots in the desert.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Q View Post
    The more I read about the desert / hot hiking on the PCT and CDT the more appealing it becomes to buying a camel as a pet

Set it free when it gets green................
    There you go. http://www.reindeerexpress.org/about2.html Don't let the name fool you.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Default I wear running shoes in the desert

I hiked the Desert Trail last summer. About 1,500 miles or more of that route is desert. For what it's worth I wore regular old running shoes. Yup, you have to watch your step, but you have to watch your step anyway or you're going to be jabbing wicked spiky stuff into your legs even if you're wearing leather boots. For work, I'd probably wear leather boots. For hiking I'd go with running shoes again. It's somewhat riskier for getting stickers in the feet, but feet are likely to be cooler and more comfortable and therefore drier and less likely to blister.

++ New Posts ++