WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    It sure will up the cost of the trip.
    Yeah, and my pack weight. I imagine at the end of a long day, it will only take a couple shots of the creature to knock me on my ass, and right to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    If you're only going to hike 14" of the trail, you won't have much time to catch that buzz first
    Yeah, he needs to buy that t-shirt they sells at Neels Gap "I hiked the entire width of the Appalachian Trail"

Quote Originally Posted by Fakin the Funk View Post
    Im not joking about feeling forced. I aint a spring chicken, all my friends are getting married, and the woman I am with now is the best yet, so it wont be a total disaster. It will just be a tall order to tell her sorry, gotta quit work, leave you for 5 months, have limited contact, and experience a life changing moment without you. Maybe she will be cooler about it than I think, but I have serious doubts. Glad to hear that wettin my beak wont be a huge deal out there. Just ready to do it.
    Then don't do it. I'd stay single for my whole life before I married someone reluctantly. People talk about cold feet, but I think that's BS. I couldn't wait to be married. The wedding itself made me nervous, sure, but if I had second thoughts about spending my life with her I wouldn't have done it. Going in with any other mindset is a recipe for disaster in my opinion.

I knew I was ready when I started thinking about it on my own and began to imagine what our lives would be like together. Marriage had always seemed to me like the way you described it; as a trap. When that perception started changing and it became something I wanted to do then I knew I had found the right girl. Now having kids is another ball game, and I'm still wrestling with that 'trap.'

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    I am in the same exact boat. My wife's view of hiking is 5 miles at tops. She has zero interest in overnights that don't involve electricity and running water. But she knew that part of me and accepted it when we committed to each other. I tolerate her rabid sports addiction and she tolerates my rabid outdoors addiction. People that go into marriages with a bucket list of changes they would like to see or innocent activities they have to give up, should not get married. A partnership marriage is the best thing on the planet. It is my most prized possession and it is my wife's as well. It is obtainable. I am no great prize. If I can find one so can most anyone. You find a good spouse and you won't care about the alcohol anymore. They are far more intoxicating.
    Well stated. I am in total agreement until the last part; I have developed a taste for good beers, and that craving is difficult to satiate with anything other than trying new beers all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    If one is drunk then he/she needs supervision by other hikers until he/she is sober again. if it is a habit for the guy to be drunk then I will move on and let him/her be,. If he is a menace to others when drunk and shows sign of violence then I will move on even faster and will do my best to tackle the situation as best as I could.
    I personally am more sociable and mellower when drunk but I have seen some people who turn aggressive when drunk. I will definitely avoid this type of person in my life. We have a saying in Persian that says: You are your real you when drunk. I came to believe this saying has some merits to it.
    I agree totally with the saying, but I take it to a different meaning; it doesn't matter if someone is drunk or sober an a-hole is an a-hole... You just see it more quickly when they're drunk. If you choose your friends wisely then a drunk friend is still a good friend. I don't mind if people get drunk around me, but that doesn't mean their behavior once drunk will be excused.

I carry a little flask of Wild Turkey, and like a couple ounces down the gullet before bedtime. I've never had anyone look at me askance for it, but then again, I tend to be liberal about sharing it with others.

But yea OP, no one is going to care.

It's your hike, Do what you want , who cares what others think
    see the path cut by the moon for you to walk on

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    You find a good spouse and you won't care about the alcohol anymore. They are far more intoxicating.
    Couldn't agree more Bird Brain...Married 24 years yesterday

Images

during my section hike from springer to damascus, i would say the majority of hikers i came across "enhanced" their journey at one point or another.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    during my section hike from springer to damascus, i would say the majority of hikers i came across "enhanced" their journey at one point or another.
    That doesn't sound like alcohol to me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    That doesn't sound like alcohol to me.
    wasnt limiting it to any particular substance. alcohol can be used for medicinal purposes as well, you know.

Oh were goin to enhancements....I'll bow out before I get kicked out....

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I have no problem with anyone enjoying a nip or two from time to time. On my last hike with my family, we arrived at the shelter to find a bunch of guys out for the weekend. They already had a fire going and were quite polite and sociable. After we had finished dinner they left the fire they made and walked off down the trail a bit out of sight. I became worried that perhaps we had offended them somehow or the kids were talking their ears off. Well, after a piece they came back and explained they had a tradition on the trail but didn't want to pass the bottle in front of the kids. I assured them it wasn't a problem with our kids (they've seen almost everything under the sun on the trail already) but I appreciated the sentiment all the same.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

wasnt limiting it to any particular substance. alcohol can be used for medicinal purposes as well, you know.
    I like to call that "performance enhancers" and or "herbal inspiration"

OP, dont worry about what everyone else is doing. Sorry you are being forced to marry. I was lucky enough to marry a thruhiker so we hike very often. Nothing better than bein on the trail and in the same tent with the one that matters most in my life. Nothing beats that!!!!

I am hiking the trail because I love nature, and it will give me a lot of time to think. I also want to test myself mentally and physically. I am about to turn 35, and I will be forced into a marriage here within the next 2 years. Once that happens it is game over as far as the trail goes.
    With that attitude, you're bound to be a great husband........

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    Then don't do it. I'd stay single for my whole life before I married someone reluctantly. People talk about cold feet, but I think that's BS. I couldn't wait to be married. The wedding itself made me nervous, sure, but if I had second thoughts about spending my life with her I wouldn't have done it. Going in with any other mindset is a recipe for disaster in my opinion.
    I'm with you on that. I've been married almost 17 yrs, and I've felt trapped all of zero minutes.

You will be fine. I never saw as much alcohol and weed anywhere in life as I did on the trail.

Garlic
    Images

One of the reasons I hike is to detox--I abstain from all drugs, including caffeine and alcohol, and even OTC meds. I don't carry Vitamin I and have never used it on a hike. I get more funny looks when I turn down coffee than when I turn down beer. I'm very sensitive to caffeine and don't like hiking with any kind of buzz.

That's my opinion. If you hadn't asked, I wouldn't have said a thing, and I feel it's your absolute right to enjoy alcohol responsibly on the trail.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    One of the reasons I hike is to detox--I abstain from all drugs, including caffeine and alcohol, and even OTC meds. I don't carry Vitamin I and have never used it on a hike. I get more funny looks when I turn down coffee than when I turn down beer. I'm very sensitive to caffeine and don't like hiking with any kind of buzz.

That's my opinion. If you hadn't asked, I wouldn't have said a thing, and I feel it's your absolute right to enjoy alcohol responsibly on the trail.
    I think if I were to thru-hike, I'd do the same. Before I started, I'd have to detox from the coffee. Wouldn't want to do that on the trail. I probably would carry vitamin I though.

So I am planning a 14" thru-hike. I enjoy a nip or 2 of whiskey at the end of a long day and even at a lunch break while hiking. I am not talking fall down drunk, just like a nice little buzz while walking through the woods. How will this be received on the trail? My biggest fear is that I will just not fit in on the trail. I am not unpopular or awkward, I just have a feeling others will disagree with me on politics and life in general.
    dude if you feel you are being forced into marriage take it from me run run like the wind hell run like mexican water through a tourist but freakin run. use the trail as your race track but RUN.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hairbear View Post
    dude if you feel you are being forced into marriage take it from me run run like the wind hell run like mexican water through a tourist but freakin run. use the trail as your race track but RUN.
    i agree. chew your own arm off if you have to

Alcohol is fine as long as it doesn't get out of hand, and that sort of thing can real fast.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++