Thread: Shorts Help

Default Shorts Help

I'm having a ton of trouble locating new hiking shorts that I like, so I'm hoping somebody out there has the same preferences as I do and has found a suitable solution that they can share. I'm being really, really picky about this, but I think it's just because I know exactly what I want and it's frustrating that I can't find it. The shorts I have now are perfect, but I bought them in 2007 and they are finally wearing out (and one of the two pair got lost, oh, if only I could find that pair I would be all set for my thru!).

Things I like about them: they have a 6" inseam (by my measuring) and come to mid-ish thigh. I'm 5'8", with some butt, long legs, and definitely-not-skinny-thighs. The shorts are loose fitting, but not baggy. They are 100% polyester, and move smoothly without getting caught on each other or anything. Despite having such a modest inseam, they do not come up to my belly button, with the waist sitting at a far more comfortable place between there and low rise.
    That is what I want.
    I do not want anything with buttons or zippers or which requires a belt to hold it up. I don't need pockets with zippers or anything. I've been to REI as well as Target/Walmart/Old Navy/various other places in the area that sell activewear, and the shorts tend to either be really short and/or skintight running or biking shorts, or longer "hiking" shorts with tougher fabric that are just heavier and sturdier-seeming than what I want (with six years of solid use mostly Ultimate Frisbee and hiking, my plain sports shorts have clearly been sturdy enough!) I would just get guys' shorts, but then the waist is just way too tall. Any ideas? There's got to be something really obvious out there that I just haven't managed to find.
    I am considering switching to a skirt or skort, but I have similar issues with those- either too heavy or too short or not made for someone with a butt so they either ride way up in the back or must sit at my belly button.

TL;DR: anybody know of some good running/athletic shorts with more than a 3" inseam? (or even just a website that allows me to sort by inseam length so I don't have to look at every single pair to figure out they're too short?) I am getting so tired of shopping around, but I want to find some before my current ones completely wear out.

Try BassPro, EMS, Gander Mountain, Dick's Sporting Goods, Academy Sports.
    My blog, dedicated to my Dad: Chasing the Trail
    Proverbs 4:26 Give careful thought to the paths for your feet and be steadfast in all your ways.
    Hike Your Own Hike

Check LL Bean for their Supplex nylon shorts. I think they pretty much match your requirements. They are men's, but who can tell the difference?

http://m.llbean.com/mt/www.llbean.co...nseam&subrnd=0

Cool icebreaker short

It sounds like I have a similar body make up to you. I'm also 5'8, mostly in shape, but have hips a butt and thicker thighs. I LOVE LOVE LOVE these shorts. They fit exactly as you describe and they are what I'll be wearing on the Appalachian trail in 2014. I got a Large and they fit me perfectly (my hips measure about 39.5, waist at about 32 but these fall closer to your hips)

http://us.icebreaker.com/Zest-Shorts...eggings-shorts

Images

I second the LL Bean Supplex Nylon shorts... Very comfortable, pretty quick to dry, and they hold up. Additionally, they do not cost an arm and a leg!

Question on the LL Bean Supplex shorts: Do they have the ability to stretch at all? If not, I would only be interested if the fit were perfect in respect to range of motion, i.e., that I wouldn't blow out the seat if I dropped into a full squat, and they would not restrict me from getting there.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    Question on the LL Bean Supplex shorts: Do they have the ability to stretch at all? If not, I would only be interested if the fit were perfect in respect to range of motion, i.e., that I wouldn't blow out the seat if I dropped into a full squat, and they would not restrict me from getting there.
    They are not made of the stretchy materials that some shorts are made of, but these shorts do have "give" to them. I tend to be in shorts about 9 months out of the year and have been wearing the LL Bean shorts for the past year. I tend to put my clothing through the paces... These shorts have been through butt-slides down rocks, in and out of water (salt water, as well as fresh water), in sunny/harsh environments (I work in another country 3 months out of the year...where I could not replace them if I needed to), and have been put through a lot of bending/squatting/lifting situations. While these might not be the best shorts for everyone, I am certainly convinced of their durability. I started wearing these shorts when I finally wore out a couple of pairs of Patagonia shorts that I had forever (and used religiously as a river guide).

Patagonia shorts can be pricey, so I tested the LL Bean shorts as a "backup plan." They didn't cost so much that I would be upset if they didn't work out for me. Turns out that I found a nice alternative to the Patagonia shorts. I wouldn't hesitate to wear these shorts on the trail. Have never had any issues with restriction. But, like all gear, they are not for everyone. Since price tends to be an issue when trying something out for the first time, I seconded these shorts... I will be putting these shorts through even more gear testing on trails in Maine and New Hampshire this summer.

eBay, Goodwill or Salvation or a thrift shop may have your original shorts...

Polyester or nylon running shorts with no pockets and slightly longer inseam(especially since you're a female). You'll feel like you're hiking naked. These types of shorts crunch up SMALL, wash easily, dry fast, basically have nothing significant in their construction that can fail, can be CHEAP, etc Buy ones that fit with preferably a little looser fit and a liner brief. Don't be afraid to try unisex or male models either to dial in fit. Don't over think it.

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    They are not made of the stretchy materials that some shorts are made of, but these shorts do have "give" to them. I tend to be in shorts about 9 months out of the year and have been wearing the LL Bean shorts for the past year. I tend to put my clothing through the paces... These shorts have been through butt-slides down rocks, in and out of water (salt water, as well as fresh water), in sunny/harsh environments (I work in another country 3 months out of the year...where I could not replace them if I needed to), and have been put through a lot of bending/squatting/lifting situations. While these might not be the best shorts for everyone, I am certainly convinced of their durability. I started wearing these shorts when I finally wore out a couple of pairs of Patagonia shorts that I had forever (and used religiously as a river guide).

Patagonia shorts can be pricey, so I tested the LL Bean shorts as a "backup plan." They didn't cost so much that I would be upset if they didn't work out for me. Turns out that I found a nice alternative to the Patagonia shorts. I wouldn't hesitate to wear these shorts on the trail. Have never had any issues with restriction. But, like all gear, they are not for everyone. Since price tends to be an issue when trying something out for the first time, I seconded these shorts... I will be putting these shorts through even more gear testing on trails in Maine and New Hampshire this summer.
    Thanks. I will check them out next time I am up in Freeport.

++ New Posts ++