Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    That is good news. I see that Exped has added a medium wide. They read my mind. The SynMat UL 7 MW is now on my short list along with the large Xtherm. That will be a tough decision. Thanks for sharing your good news.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    I wish they had the MW when I bought the regular. Anyone interested in a lightly used (looks new) Exped Synmat UL7 M?

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeBager View Post
    No, it's not loud, and that's the primary reason I went for the Exped rather than the Thermarest. I makes a tiny bit of noise (I think all thick inflatables do), but nothing that sounds like a potato chip bag being rattled, which is what those Thermarests sounded like to me. And the noise is more like a little squeak/groan against the tent floor (a product of a change in friction) rather than anything within the mat itself.
    Agree! Best pad I've found, used it for over a year now....
    ad astra per aspera

Sure. I am able to sleep on all but my stomach and have heard that's even possible with a bridge hammock.

Check out hammock forums.net for a hammock hang near you so you can find what you have been missing all these years! Really, I was never comfortable in a tent, even with the best pads money could buy and yet be carried on my back.

That said, a bridge hammock is the way to go for me; most like my own bed, I can side sleep or roll around without drafts. Although gathered end hammocks are perfect for most hammockers.
    Demeter's Blog

Demeter's Video Channel

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hey all, I haven't read every post so this tip may have been mentioned. But if you are a side sleeper, it might help to roll up some clothes and stick the roll under your waist. (in the gap formed when you lay down on your side) It helps to take some of the pressure off your hip bone.

I think sleeping on your back is more comfortable on hard surfaces like a shelter floor. But I realize some people can only fall asleep in one position!

Quote Originally Posted by Goonky View Post
    Hey,

Reopening this thread to just say thank you for recommending the ExPed UL7. I got one with a pump bag and I am very, very optimistic. I bought all new base gear this year and the last of it came toay. I plan on sleeping in the tent (got a Zpacks Hexamid Duplex) in the back field tonight to test it out.

I set up the tent this afternoon and the Exped as well, then laid down for a bit and I actually fell asleep!

The older I get the more important it is for me to be comfortable out there. I'll update again in the morning in case anyone is interested.
    Wish I had a back field to sleep in! I was going to suggest the Exped ul7 in which you decided to go with! I have one and my sleeping, along wtih a good trail pillow has thoroughly improved my sleeping skills in the great outdoors. Enjoy!
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by quasarr View Post
    Hey all, I haven't read every post so this tip may have been mentioned. But if you are a side sleeper, it might help to roll up some clothes and stick the roll under your waist. (in the gap formed when you lay down on your side) It helps to take some of the pressure off your hip bone.
    That sounds like a good idea.
    If you're only hiking for 1-2 nights at a time, you can also consider using two pads stacked together.

Personally I favor foam pads like the Z-lite because its quick and extremely durable, I don't have to fear for holes and repairs.

I am in the market for a wide pad, so made a little comparison chart because I was totally overwhelmed by the choices. Here is a link http://demeters-dish.blogspot.com/20...son-chart.html BTW i used the "potato chip" comment in the post because it is a perfect descriptor of a lot of the pads
    Demeter's Blog

Demeter's Video Channel

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Section Hiker

I've tried both CCF and inflatable pads. I am currently using a good old Z-Rest. I don't like inflatables for several reasons: noisy, too narrow, a pain to inflate and deflate, etc. My hips hurt something awful at night--IF I sit around at camp on logs! I know this sounds funny, but I had no hip pain on a 6 day trip in June in which I didn't sit on logs all evening. An overnight a couple weeks ago: sat on log, hips killed me. Might be something to think about. Otherwise, think prevention: what shoes are you wearing, are you using trekking poles, your "form" if you call it that, how fast you hike... The pad might not actually be the problem.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Images

I'm a side sleeper - I bought a neo air X-large to get the 25 inch width - and cut down the length. There is a you tube video on how to do this - I practiced on a old neo air and it worked just fine, so I took a deep breath and cut into a brand new one. Absolutely no regrets.

The thing with inflatables is I blow it up full - hard, then when I lay down to sleep I start to release some of the air until my hip starts to sink into the pad - you have to learn how to adjust the amount it's inflated. When I have it set 'just right' -if I get up and off the pad, it looks like it's only half way inflated, and if I sat (vs lay down) on it, I would bottom out.

Images

absolutely! I like to side sleep and also curl up in a little ball, and back sleeping is way more comfortable too.
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Goonky View Post
    Hey,

Reopening this thread to just say thank you for recommending the ExPed UL7. I got one with a pump bag and I am very, very optimistic. I bought all new base gear this year and the last of it came toay. I plan on sleeping in the tent (got a Zpacks Hexamid Duplex) in the back field tonight to test it out.

I set up the tent this afternoon and the Exped as well, then laid down for a bit and I actually fell asleep!

The older I get the more important it is for me to be comfortable out there. I'll update again in the morning in case anyone is interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    I'll chime in! +100 on the ExPed UL7. I just came back from using mine for 3 months and really love this sleep pad. It is worth the price! I am a side/stomach sleeper and never had much luck with other sleep pads. I was hesitant because of the price, but it was definitely worth it. Its not noisy, you can adjust the amount of air you want in your sleep pad, and it was super warm....kept me insulated from the cold ground.

I didn't get the pump bag, but have not yet had any issues with condensation in my sleep pad.
    Can anyone elaborate on the difference between a small/medium and which size you prefer? I'm 5'6" and 125 pounds. I think I'd be hanging off the edge of the small one.

Womens thermarest prolife - perfect, light, nice texture good for hips... I'm nearly 50 and I love it...

Journal Entries
    Images

Thermarest works for me. I am a side sleeper too and I have sore hips sometimes, but the Thermarest is the best I have found.
    JB (South Side aka Tear Drop) and Stacy (Snacks aka Redemption) 2014/2015 - Rebuilding The Unbreakable....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyc...rhn5dwBltHGUxw
    New2theWild - come follow us!!

Journal Entries
    Images

I'm a tad confused, and have been reading and re-reading this thread. I'm fairly convince I'm getting the Exped UL 7. However, which one are most people talking about on this thread?
    There is the yellow Exped SynMat UL 7 Air Pad: http://www.rei.com/product/811907/ex...t-ul-7-air-pad
    and the grey Exped UL 7 DownMat: http://www.rei.com/product/884602/ex...-2014-closeout which sounds pretty plush.

Clearly, when Exped SynMat UL 7 is mentioned in the thread, I know which one. But, I wonder if others mean the DownMat.

What say you?

I had an Exped Downmat 7 extra small.

Now, I have an XTherm.

I found the Exped Downmat 7 xs used a lot of the available space in my backpack because the built-in hand pump doesn't fold up particularly well.

The XTherm is cozy warm, so I have no complaints about that and it takes up very little available space in my backpack.

I inflate either air mattress only enough so my hip does not touch the floor at home.

Either air mattress works fine partially inflated. I do think the XTherm is warmer. It does have a higher R-value.

Totally second the Neo Air!! I'm a side sleeper, and it's great. 2.5 inches thick. Just don't pass out blowing it up.

Neo-Air, 2.5 inches thick.

Quote Originally Posted by goldbug View Post
    Neo-Air, 2.5 inches thick.
    Same. Works great for me.

Journal Entries
    Images

Hi All,

Just my take, but I really prefer self-inflating mattresses over air mattresses. I am a side sleeper and simply can't use a 1" pad. I finally bought a Thermarest 40th Anniversary Woman's model. It is 2 1/2" thick (which allows me to let air out until my hip just touches the ground, so it really pillows my whole body), it has a really high R-value (5.5), and at 66" long is perfect length for me. It weighs 21 ounces, and wont wake up my neighbors in a shelter as I move during the night as most air mattresses do (I hate all that noise!). It is discontinued now, but I think Campmor still has a few, and you certainly can find them online. They last longer than air mattresses and are better in just about every way in my mind.

TicTac

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++