Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Any woman ever completed a thru hike while leaving kids at home?

I'm not looking to spark a debate on whether its ok to thru hike when you have a family at home, that's already been done here. I'm wondering does anyone know of a woman who has successfully completed a thru hike while she has kids at home that are under 18? Of all the blog/trail journal reading I've done, I've never come across this. I've heard of dads that have done a thru, but not a mom before.

Can't say that I've ever meet one that I know of, but it is possible there have been.

One doesn't see very many woman in thier 30's/40's, who would be most likey to have youngish children at home. The few woman I have meet in that age group have been single and childless. Nearly all the woman I have meet on the trail have been either 20 somethings and still in school, or retired with grown children.

But hey, if you have a husband who can stay at home and take care of the kid(s) while your gone (or grandparents) go for it!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I met a couple (QuigonnJinn and Caboose) this summer who said they left their toddler with his mom so they could thru-hike. They'd been on the trail about 2 months when I ran into them.

Journal Entries

if you have husband, or someone who can take care of the kids for the hike, without feeling guilty.... i say go for it... have 2 kids 17, 19, and i don't know what age they are, but if you can do it without much hassell... go for it.. you will be refreshed when you get back..... maybe? anyway i kinda know, cause i had to raise mine alot, and i know what a break it would be....

I know a woman who started a thruhike, leaving her teenager with her ex-husband. She ended up getting off the trail because of problems with that teenager.

Some children have a very hard time being away from their parents for prolonged periods of time. The younger ones may have nightmares, the older ones may act up. I've heard men tell about problems with the kids when they returned home - lots of anger and hurt feelings.

Most women consider their families their most important priority. Many men also feel that way. They generally choose not to leave their young children for long periods unnecessarily. So they wait until the children are independent to head out on a long hike.

Images

I think the question should include 'how many mom's WANT to leave the kids at home and thru hike? I for one dream about it, especially when the stress level of being a SAHM reaches critical mass. But I'll wait for them to grow up enough to either thru with me, or section while I thru. ...only 12ish more years...

Red face

My kids are currently 8 and 12 so I was thinking if I decided to thru in 2014 they would be 11 and 15, old enough to understand what's going on and learn from it. I have a fully supportive husband who wants me to follow my dream, and knows it would be hard. He works at home so is there for the kids all the time now anyways. Leaving the kids for that long would be tough...really tough. It would be hard on everyone, but I'm also thinking what a great way to inspire them, to see their mom follow a dream and work hard to realize it. They all know I'm not the June Cleaver type and I've talked to them about the trail and that I would like to hike it in a few years, a sort of mental preparation I suppose. Maybe I could be the first successful through hiking mom?

I'm pretty sure I read stories or seen on TV women in the military who have young children and have been deployed overseas. I don't know if they are away for 6 months or so, but I think that would be the case. The children were either looked after by the spouse or parents. I wouldn't think leaving for a through hike would be that much different except you could get home when ever you wanted, or were needed.

Quote Originally Posted by coppertex View Post
    My kids are currently 8 and 12 so I was thinking if I decided to thru in 2014 they would be 11 and 15, old enough to understand what's going on and learn from it. Maybe I could be the first successful through hiking mom?
    That makes it a lot more possible then if you had 3 year olds and were a single mom.

At 11 and 15, they'd be old enough to come out and join you on the trail for a while if thier into it. You didn't say if you have any camping/backpacking experiance. If not, it would be a good idea to get some gear and start doing short weekend trips and if you can bring the kids, even better. On average, people who have had at least some prior camping/backpacking experiance fair better then those who start out cold and the kids would have a better understanding and appreciation for what you'd be doing. Good luck!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker View Post
    I know a woman who started a thruhike, leaving her teenager with her ex-husband. She ended up getting off the trail because of problems with that teenager.

Some children have a very hard time being away from their parents for prolonged periods of time. The younger ones may have nightmares, the older ones may act up. I've heard men tell about problems with the kids when they returned home - lots of anger and hurt feelings.

Most women consider their families their most important priority. Many men also feel that way. They generally choose not to leave their young children for long periods unnecessarily. So they wait until the children are independent to head out on a long hike.

Very well said Spirit Walker.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

To answer your question - unknown.
    I did meet a woman out hiking PA with her kids a few years back. Said she took them out every summer as part of their education and alot of people didn't understand her reasons for bring them with her - or leaving a couple of them at home until they could join her on the trail.

Only you know what is best for you. All the best with your plans!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker View Post

I think Spirit Walker has it about right. Kids don't adjust easily to absent parents for whatever reason. My daughter went for a tour of Europe as a college project when my grandson was 4-years old. It took him months to recover.

1811 miles and counting!
    Images

Maine Rose did back in the 90's I believe. Her kids were in their teens.

Pre Planning 2012 Thru Hike Switchback2012's Avatar
    Images

Coppertex,

I have a 15 yr old son and am planning on through hiking next year. It has not been an easy decision but both my husband and son are very supportive. They know how much it means to me - in fact my son is the more encouraging of the two. But, it is a HUGE consideration. Six months is a long time to be away from your children. I'm not saying it's any easier to be apart from your partner but you would expect them to have a better understanding than children. I'm not even close to 100% sure that I can be away from my son that long - I don't want to miss out on anything. But, a part of me feels like if I keep putting it off - it might never happen. I can't say that I would ever leave a young child at home, but my son is fairly independent and he's only going to get more so as he gets older. I considered waiting until he went away to college but I don't think I can leave my husband alone at least this way they have each other. And both intend to hike sections with me as they can.

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by coppertex View Post
    My kids are currently 8 and 12 so I was thinking if I decided to thru in 2014 they would be 11 and 15, old enough to understand what's going on and learn from it. I have a fully supportive husband who wants me to follow my dream, and knows it would be hard. He works at home so is there for the kids all the time now anyways. Leaving the kids for that long would be tough...really tough. It would be hard on everyone, but I'm also thinking what a great way to inspire them, to see their mom follow a dream and work hard to realize it. They all know I'm not the June Cleaver type and I've talked to them about the trail and that I would like to hike it in a few years, a sort of mental preparation I suppose. Maybe I could be the first successful through hiking mom?
    I would take them with me.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I did the trail in '07 with my then 16 year old son. It was and still is the highlight of his teen life, to have completed the trail as a teen. I would definitely make some kind of plans to have them join you for at least parts of it. The bonding is incredible.

The AT was my dream, but hubby and kids came first. I took the kid with me and hubby backed us 110%, which I needed to have. And I did leave my hubby behind. He is a social guy too. He survived, actually hiked parts with us and was actively involved in the hike.
    Last edited by Blissful; 10-10-2011 at 22:47.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

coppertex,
    How did your hike go with the kids at home? I'm thinking of going in about 5 years when my kids are a little older (11 and 13). I'm a pretty independent mom with a supportive husband. Part of me wants to hike solo for myself and part of me wants to bring them along. Even though I'm independent I'm wondering if I can be away from them so long. Of course there will be visits along the trail, but 6 months is such a long time. Any tips or advice for a fellow mom and hiker?

Do a lot of talking among yourselves, make sure it's a family decision.

I have wanted to thru hike for many years. I wanted to take my son with me but he doesn't like hiking (weirdo). If I had had someone safe for him too stay with I might have considered going. He has always been quite independent, and trusts in our relationship. I know my son and he would have been fine.
    He turns 18 in a few weeks. I leave for the trail soon after. And I will miss him, but he will be fine.
    I don't know if it's ever been done, but if you can, go for it!

there is a 2015 NoBo hiker named "Griswold" over on Trail Journals that left 2 young kids at home with dad while she's doing a thru hike. Last I saw she had made it to the Smokies....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++