WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default How do I learn Wordpress?

I see a lot of folks preferring Wordpress over Trailjournals. I went to the WP website but honestly, I need help in setting up a personal blog. I must be missing something.

Does anyone know of a good instructional to set up Wordpress?

KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Here are a couple of thoughts I have on blogging vs Trail Journals. No 1 is that blogging will cost you $ per month vs TJ which is voluntary donations. If your are going to keep blogging after your trip I can see where you might want to use wordpress but if you are just doing a hiking journal it seems to me the TJ route is the way to go. Once your trip is done and you are not updating anymore the TJ will stay up and available until the next time you are ready to journal. Again I believe that blogging cost a small monthly fee to keep it online. Maybe others can share more info here if I need to be corrected.
    SUPPORT LNT

I don't pay for either my Wordpress or Blogspot. I think that's only for commercial accounts, or if you want to be able to pick a domain name that is without the dot.blogspot or dot.wordpress in it.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    I don't pay for either my Wordpress or Blogspot. I think that's only for commercial accounts, or if you want to be able to pick a domain name that is without the dot.blogspot or dot.wordpress in it.
    Ok I got ya...
    SUPPORT LNT

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    I see a lot of folks preferring Wordpress over Trailjournals. I went to the WP website but honestly, I need help in setting up a personal blog. I must be missing something.

Does anyone know of a good instructional to set up Wordpress?
    Check out this site. They list 40 other sites to go to for who to use Wordpress.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.

Default I thought Wordpress was pretty easy

I dreaded revamping my old website. I bought an e-book to help me convert it to Wordpress. I ended up ignoring the e-book for the most part because I thought that Wordpress was quite intuitive. (Check out my Wordpress site below if you like.)

If you think you want help, I'd recommend going to Amazon and getting a newer ebook on the topic, one with lots of good reviews.

I don't mind fielding any questions you have on it, as Colter mentioned though, it's quite user friendly. If you reach a snag, feel free to post it.

I will agree with the others, WordPress is fairly easy to use. You can pick up a book at most local bookstores and figure it out pretty quickly. As with all things there are pros and cons. For most people, the pros of WordPress (i.e. ease of use) outweigh the cons (i.e. customization, security). If you require a completely customized site you may want to consider coding in HTML, PHP and Javascript. It certainly takes a lot of work though. I hand-coded everything on my site below without any classes and only 3 books. If you go this route, I would be glad to offer up my help.

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    Here are a couple of thoughts I have on blogging vs Trail Journals. No 1 is that blogging will cost you $ per month vs TJ which is voluntary donations. If your are going to keep blogging after your trip I can see where you might want to use wordpress but if you are just doing a hiking journal it seems to me the TJ route is the way to go. Once your trip is done and you are not updating anymore the TJ will stay up and available until the next time you are ready to journal. Again I believe that blogging cost a small monthly fee to keep it online. Maybe others can share more info here if I need to be corrected.
    Good advice. Thank you O wise one.

WingedMonkey pointed out that I'm incorrect in saying that blogs cost money. So I'm not sure how wise I am but I do know this. If I'm in the mood to read a few journals I go to TJ to find a journal I enjoy reading. I never think about searching for a blog to read.
    SUPPORT LNT

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    WingedMonkey pointed out that I'm incorrect in saying that blogs cost money. So I'm not sure how wise I am but I do know this. If I'm in the mood to read a few journals I go to TJ to find a journal I enjoy reading. I never think about searching for a blog to read.
    Sometimes that can also be one of the advantages of Wordpress or Blogspot. You can make them private or only open to those with a link.

But you are right, it's easier to read trail specific open journals from Trail Journals or Postholer.

++ New Posts ++