WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Help needed for a section hike near Maryland.

My son needs to be at the Naval Academy in Annapolis, Md for a week so I will be dropping him off on June 1st and then must pick him back up a week later.
    I plan on doing a section hike during that week (my first). I am an experienced hiker with good trail legs and am looking for a good section in that area with some nice views.
    Since I will be driving to the trailhead and will need to return to my car an out-and-back may be good or somewhere a shuttle could be easily arraigned.
    I am looking for a section of maybe 60-75 miles. I have never been to Harpers Ferry so maybe a start or finish there would be great but not nessessary if a better section does not allow for it.
    Any suggestions.

Images

Default re: Help needed for a section hike near Maryland.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearhawk View Post
    I have never been to Harpers Ferry so maybe a start or finish there would be great but not nessessary if a better section does not allow for it.
    Any suggestions.
    I recommend starting and finishing there. There's a new shuttle service by Tea Horse Hostel that can drop you at PenMar for a 3-4 day hike south to Harpers Ferry. Once back at HF, the shuttle can drop you south of HF for a 2-3 day hike north.

http://www.teahorsehostel.com/Local_Attractions.html

You'll find details on the MD portion of the hike in my TrailJournals entries.

http://www.trailjournals.com/locatio...railname=10727
    Appalachian Trail Online Course
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com
    Information and resources for the A.T. hiker

Follow @section_hiking on Twitter
    http://Twitter.com/Section_Hiking

Hammock Hanger & Backpacker WalksInDark's Avatar

Not to denigrate the Maryland AT...but if I were coming all the way to the East Coast from IL, I would probably want to go to the area around Roanoke, VA and catch the areas including: Mt. Rogers, and/or Dragon's Tooth/McAfee's Knob, or other related areas. Alternately, Dolly Sods, WV would be very high on my list of wonderful places to see on the East Coast.

Just my 2¢!
    You May Be S l o w...But You Are Ahead Of Me!

Agreed with WID. I live in the area, and the best bang for your buck would be to start in Daleville, VA (a couple hours south of Harper's) and hike south. This will get you Tinker Cliffs, McAfee Knob, and Dragon's Tooth, some of the best views on the trail!

I too like the area west of Daleville (McAfee, et al.) and often recommend it as a nice section hike. But since the OP only has a week, I'd suggest a hike closer to No. Virginia so that he doesn't blow 2 of his 7 days on driving to/from the trailhead. For that reason, Mt. Rogers and Grayson Highlands are also out of the question.

Plus, June 1-2 is a good time to start a hike in Shenandoah National Park. Schools in the DC area aren't out yet so the Park won't be overrun with summer vacationers on the weekdays yet.
    Last edited by Cookerhiker; 05-22-2013 at 20:02.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    I too like the area west of Daleville (McAfee, et al.) and often recommend it as a nice section hike. But since the OP only has a week, I'd suggest a hike closer to No. Virginia so that he doesn't blow 2 of his 7 days on driving to the trailhead. For that reason, Mt. Rogers and Grayson Highlands are also out of the question.

Plus, June 1-2 is a good time to start a hike in Shenandoah National Park. Schools in the DC area aren't out yet so the Park won't be overrun with summer vacationers on the weekdays yet.
    Yup. SNP is a great way to spend a week, especially with side trails, milkshakes and other possibilities. Shuttles can be arranged from any point in the park for most of the trail. Some of the views are spectacular and, if you don't mind hiking to some of the overlooks, can be plentiful.

Maryland is pretty bland overall but does have some nice spots if you really want to stay close to Annapolis. There's really little of note south of Harper's Ferry. A nice view from Bear's Den but that's about it through the Roller Coaster and down to the shennies. Be sure not to miss Sky Meadows State Park north of SNP on the AT. It really is a beautiful spot.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Lots of info here on shuttlers: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiki...transportation

You could stay at the Harpers Ferry Hostel just across the river in MD. Check out the history in H.F. and then head north up the AT. Lots of interesting history on that part of the trail and easy hiking. You could easily hike to Caledonia State Park and then catch a shuttle back to H.F.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

In this area, I have completed SNP (Waynesboro to Front Royal) and the state of MD (Harpers to Penn Mar)....but doesn't "The State of MD" sound nice???!

Honestly, both of these are awesome! If you want more primative, go MD. Considering you are not a regular hiker, at 55 miles, you can easily finish it in 6 days (we did it in 5 with touring the sites at HF). However, if you would like to see more people and have more "treats," do part of SNP (we did the 110 miles in 10 days).

MD is only 41 miles. Perhaps you were thinking of the VA & WV stretch from Rt. 522 (Front Royal) to Harpers Ferry which is 54 miles.

My son needs to be at the Naval Academy in Annapolis, Md for a week so I will be dropping him off on June 1st and then must pick him back up a week later.
    I plan on doing a section hike during that week (my first). I am an experienced hiker with good trail legs and am looking for a good section in that area with some nice views.
    Since I will be driving to the trailhead and will need to return to my car an out-and-back may be good or somewhere a shuttle could be easily arraigned.
    I am looking for a section of maybe 60-75 miles. I have never been to Harpers Ferry so maybe a start or finish there would be great but not nessessary if a better section does not allow for it.
    Any suggestions.
    You can park at Harpers Ferry and hike north into Pennsylvania, then call MT. Rose (aka Terri) at 717 352 2279 and she can shuttle you back to Harpers Ferry from any point in Pennsylvania. She lives near Calidonia State Park

Thanks for all the suggestions everybody. I have decided to park my car in Harpers Ferry and get a shuttle to Pen Mar park and hike SoBo back to Harper Ferry. I am planning for an easy 4 day hike. I will then spend a day or so exploring the town on day 5. I am a history and photo buff so I am sure I can find enough to keep me busy hiking this section and in town..

Any reason why your son can't drop you off and drive their himself? I assume since it's the Naval Academy he's of driving age.

You could do a hike that ends at Caledonia SP in PA, get picked up, and do a short trip over to Gettysburg. Or start there with your son.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Thanks for all the suggestions everybody. I have decided to park my car in Harpers Ferry and get a shuttle to Pen Mar park and hike SoBo back to Harper Ferry. I am planning for an easy 4 day hike. I will then spend a day or so exploring the town on day 5. I am a history and photo buff so I am sure I can find enough to keep me busy hiking this section and in town..
    Great plan, as my name indicates I spend a lot of time on the MD section. I'll be out there this weekend so we may even run into each other. If you like history you'll have a blast and you'll need all the time you can get. Keep an eye open for any historical sites, you'll pass a few that weary eyes can miss. Have fun!

Finishing at Harpers Ferry is a real nice way to end a hike. Make sure you catch the view of the Potomac from Weverton Cliffs. As you're hiking south along the ridge from Garvey Shelter, the AT takes a right turn to descend the ridge. Take the blue-blazed trail straight for only 100 yards to the cliffs.

What time are you planning on shuttling? I'm gonna get a shuttle early sat morning to Turners Gap for a short trip and could possibly split part of a trip. PM me if interested.

Ok, I just got back from my hike and wanted to 1st say thanks for all the good advise from everyone. What I ended up doing is driving into Harpers Ferry on Monday afternoon. I parked my car at the Teahorse Hostel and got a shuttle to just north of Penn-Mar park. I hit the trail about 4pm. I hiked SoBo and did approximately 5 miles on day 1, then 11-12-13 miles on day 2,3,4. So the 41 mile hike took me 3 1/2 days. It was a great hike but this beeping my first ever hike on the AT the rocks and constant ups and downs made it more of a chalange than I was expecting.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Ok, I just got back from my hike and wanted to 1st say thanks for all the good advise from everyone. What I ended up doing is driving into Harpers Ferry on Monday afternoon. I parked my car at the Teahorse Hostel and got a shuttle to just north of Penn-Mar park. I hit the trail about 4pm. I hiked SoBo and did approximately 5 miles on day 1, then 11-12-13 miles on day 2,3,4. So the 41 mile hike took me 3 1/2 days. It was a great hike but this beeping my first ever hike on the AT the rocks and constant ups and downs made it more of a chalange than I was expecting.
    Thanks for posting on how your trip went. So often we don't hear back what happened. Glad everything worked out well.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Ok, I just got back from my hike and wanted to 1st say thanks for all the good advise from everyone. What I ended up doing is driving into Harpers Ferry on Monday afternoon. I parked my car at the Teahorse Hostel and got a shuttle to just north of Penn-Mar park. I hit the trail about 4pm. I hiked SoBo and did approximately 5 miles on day 1, then 11-12-13 miles on day 2,3,4. So the 41 mile hike took me 3 1/2 days. It was a great hike but this being my first ever hike on the AT the rocks and constant ups and downs made it more of a challenge than I was expecting.
    Glad it worked out. I found my first AT backpack was, like yours, a learning experience regarding the ups & downs and the footing. So now you have some idea of what to expect; this will help planning the mental aspects of future hikes, if not physical. And now you can see why most of us recommended hiking this stretch SOBO as Harpers Ferry is a great place to end a hike.

Images

my first ever hike on the AT the rocks and constant ups and downs made it more of a chalange than I was expecting.
    Being a section hiker, this too gets me every time,when I haven't been out hiking in awhile and have gotten sluggish. Now that your first multi day hike is in the books, time to plan for the next one. I'll suggest Shenandoah Nat'l Park, either in the spring before it gets hot or in October during Fall foliage season.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    Being a section hiker, this too gets me every time,when I haven't been out hiking in awhile and have gotten sluggish. Now that your first multi day hike is in the books, time to plan for the next one. I'll suggest Shenandoah Nat'l Park, either in the spring before it gets hot or in October during Fall foliage season.
    Johnny, that's the exact hike I plan to do next year. I'm hopping to start at the south end of the park at Rockfish Gap and hike NoBo to Harpers Ferry (about 147 miles). But.. My two kids want to come along with me this time. (Boy 14, Girl 15) so I will have to go during their summer break mid June- late August. I will plan on a three week trip and 6-10 mile days at first then maybe max out at about 12-14 miles /day. 3 weeks should give me plenty of time to complete the trip with some short days thrown in and maybe a zero or two. That section should also make it a little easier for the kids (first timers) to pack lighter and have opportunities for real food. Plus I will have many bail out points if needed.
    Any thoughts? How are the bugs that time of year?

++ New Posts ++