WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

We are living in the Facebook/Twitter/Youtube generation. IMO with some hikers, the production of the video takes precedence over the hike. I've seen a few youtube videos where the hiker only does a 4-5 mile hike, and produces a 20-30 minute video...complete with dramatic background music. That said, nobody has to watch the videos if they dont' want to. I've been lucky so far, have not run into any hikers making movies or videos along the trail.

on my 2010 AT section hike from Springer to Damascus, I ran into Lint near Clingman's Dome... asked him if he was doing a Trail Journal on his thru hike, and he said no, he thought there were too many Trail Journals online, and with so many they just become noise. Now I get what he was saying ... Trail Journals can be fun to read, but some get a bit long in the tooth like a dear diary.

I second not wanting to be recorded unless I'm cool with the person first. It is creepy: I have a video of my own where I'm finishing a 40-miler in the Smokies and trying to say hi to friends, and this hole time an old touristy guy is asking me 21 questions like: You're by yourself? See any bears? Is that your backpack? Ugh.

On a brighter side, this is one of my fav thru-hike vids on youtube, because it only features the couple (except for a few random stragglers in background shots). Check it out:

Images

FM's videos were the worst I have seen. He filmed all the time putting people on the spot. Still though he was well liked and several people watched his vids. I think it's just apart of the trail now. Everyone is updating a blog, youtube site, or twitter page/facebook on the trail so family and friends back home can see. I think if someone doesn't want to be on film they will let the person know.
    You're not going to live forever
    Find this to be true
    Use your past as a guide
    While you're alive
    Live

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Never encountered this issue on the trail...

Just one of the many reasons I feel fortunate that i'm able to do most of my A.T. hiking during the off season.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 05-20-2013 at 17:31.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I think videos like the one Mancub & Kitfox did are fantastic. It's such an awesome way to preserve or share your experience. When people see me carrying my big DSLR connected to a collapsable tripod, they think I am the biggest idiot. Maybe I am, but hiking without it would bum me out. I never infringe on others' privacy though, and most of experiences have been on other trails without shelters.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by srvand02 View Post
    I second not wanting to be recorded unless I'm cool with the person first. It is creepy: I have a video of my own where I'm finishing a 40-miler in the Smokies and trying to say hi to friends, and this hole time an old touristy guy is asking me 21 questions like: You're by yourself? See any bears? Is that your backpack? Ugh.

On a brighter side, this is one of my fav thru-hike vids on youtube, because it only features the couple (except for a few random stragglers in background shots). Check it out:

With that post quite possibly the most inspiring video I have seen to date. THANK YOU!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I only get annoyed if I ALLOW myself to get annoyed.

I loved the ManCub and KitFox video--I sent it to everyone a couple months back when I first saw it. While I watched all of Fatherman's videos, and enjoyed them for the most part, they did get kind of repetitive and I didn't enjoy them as much towards the end. And while I subscribe to the 'Hitched Hike' updates and videos, they aren't nearly as funny or entertaining as they try to be. Actually, they try to hard to be funny and a lot of it comes off as just stupid.

Of course, being a trail junkie, I still watch them--there is still good info to be had, the girl in the video is naturally funny, her husband not quite as much, and their third-wheel friend, annoying as hell.
    Double Wide is now BLUEBERRY
    Northbound (2nd Attempt) March 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Double Wide View Post
    Actually, they try to hard to be funny and a lot of it comes off as just stupid.

"too"

Damn I hate brainless typos.
    Double Wide is now BLUEBERRY
    Northbound (2nd Attempt) March 2017

Yes. One reason that I hike, or bike or canoe tour is to escape technolgy. The only electrical thing I carry is a small flashlight and a couple AA batteries.
    Folks who are addicted to their tech toys make my skin crawl.

Wayne
    Picking up his Guide to the Wind River Range.

Images

i haven't watch one yet and won't. i did watch the traildays one and that song one, half way there.
    the how-to ones that people take as fact, not just one persons opinion are a real joke.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

The Mancub and Kitfox video is great. I just couldn't get into FM's videos, but a friend of mine lived for them and is still talking about them. The best videos in my opinion have been Loner's.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Yes. One reason that I hike, or bike or canoe tour is to escape technolgy. The only electrical thing I carry is a small flashlight and a couple AA batteries. Folks who are addicted to their tech toys make my skin crawl.
    +1, Venchka.

Quote Originally Posted by srvand02 View Post

Loved the video. Haven't watched one that I hate. If it is bad, I don't watch. Loved the music. He is worthy to be praised.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

this is my favorite thru-hike video/slide show on youtube, by Daniel with his dog Kooper in 2010. I hiked with Daniel and Kooper off and on from Tray Mtn. to Standing Bear Farm in 2010, it's a great video, one of the few I like.

"Thru-Hike with a Dog"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lif6o8iE5cA

Oh no, a new reality network TV show! Twelve twenty-something educated professionals,male and female, set out to hike the AT. Somebody drops out in each episode. The winner is the sole survivor who makes it to Katahdin. The drama starts in the first episode when theyreach Hawk Mountain Shelter and Jessica says, “Um, like where is MY room?”

Quote Originally Posted by The Ace View Post
    Oh no, a new reality network TV show! Twelve twenty-something educated professionals,male and female, set out to hike the AT. Somebody drops out in each episode. The winner is the sole survivor who makes it to Katahdin. The drama starts in the first episode when theyreach Hawk Mountain Shelter and Jessica says, “Um, like where is MY room?”
    LOL Do NOT suggest that! It will be picked up in a heartbeat! The trail is crowded enough as it is without a whole cast and television crew!

I'll admit I'll be doing a lot of footage (no pun intended) on my journey. I know I will go to great lengths to try and capture some cool shots. I certainly don't see myself getting all up in people's business though. I just want to make a quality video that I can share with people in the end and have something to show the kids someday.

I think one reason why people like Mancub and Kitfox's video so much is because it is edited really well. Anyone who has dealt with video production knows you have to capture a lot of footage to pick and choose from to make the end result better.

Hiker"boy" the original post is in cocerns of "shelters", not the PHYSICAL TRAIL, what so ever. Anyone who wants to shove a camera in someones face, or take pictures of a person, without their permission, should have to pay up, aka a snickers bar for every person, at said shelter or in said photo. As a joke its amusing, in all seriousness it would stop harassment of hikers, its our home for the long haul, you want to ask people so be it, but put a camera in someones face, and they don't like it and break it, well its you're own damned fault. People have a right to enjoy nature without being visually/verbally molested, however a person does not have a right anywhere to harass people, whether on trail in town or at a shelter. How is it "what the trail is really like", it doesn't show a persons drive or will nor want, video is just that video, its not the true feeling and enjoyment from the body mind nor spirit, but rather a trip down a long path. Thankfully for everyone, smell-o-vision does not exist, or the issue would be void of any concerns, as who wants to smell a hiker.
    Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    its a double edged sword. from your standpoint, the information is invaluable and does give you a sense of what the trail is really like. from a hikers standpoint, it can get annoying having pople walking around with cameras.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBASTARD View Post
    Hiker"boy" the original post is in cocerns of "shelters", not the PHYSICAL TRAIL, what so ever. Anyone who wants to shove a camera in someones face, or take pictures of a person, without their permission, should have to pay up, aka a snickers bar for every person, at said shelter or in said photo. As a joke its amusing, in all seriousness it would stop harassment of hikers, its our home for the long haul, you want to ask people so be it, but put a camera in someones face, and they don't like it and break it, well its you're own damned fault. People have a right to enjoy nature without being visually/verbally molested, however a person does not have a right anywhere to harass people, whether on trail in town or at a shelter. How is it "what the trail is really like", it doesn't show a persons drive or will nor want, video is just that video, its not the true feeling and enjoyment from the body mind nor spirit, but rather a trip down a long path. Thankfully for everyone, smell-o-vision does not exist, or the issue would be void of any concerns, as who wants to smell a hiker.
    we are more in agreement than youthink. i was responding to an individual statement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++