WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Are thru hikers taking video getting annoying?

I'll admit it, I enjoy watching video journals of people doing a thru hike. I probably will never do a thru hike of the AT, at least in this decade, so its neat to be able to see what its like. Also its the ultimate reality show, who is going to make it , how isn't, etc.

That said I'm noticing an exponential jump in thru hikers doing videos, and some seem to be getting annoying, like filming everyone at a shelter and doing interviews on the fly when some obviously look uncomfortable or don't feel like talking.

Do you think the trail getting annoying with people talking to their extended hiking poles and playing 60 minutes at the shelters?

Hell there is some goofball over on TJ's with 20 some odd videos, hasn't even set foot on a trail yet.

Blame it on choreographed, rehearsed, and staged reality TV.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Donde View Post
    Hell there is some goofball over on TJ's with 20 some odd videos, hasn't even set foot on a trail yet.
    i believe hes on our own journals as well

Everyone deserves their 15 min of fame...Naw I don't mind, but I don't watch em all either...only when I need a fix, So...

Funny, this is exactly what I'm always thinking watching those types of videos... I understand a little bit of talking to the camera on a long, lonely stretch of trail but the guys who walk around shelters forcing people to say 'hello' and the like just make me cringe.

As a noob I really enjoyed watching every video I could find just to get a sense of what it was like out there. Shots of particular shelters that I was going to visit were extremely valuable to see what I was getting into. I think they are great to give people that can not hike the trail often or at all an idea of what it is like. Are some very boring and pointless? Sure, but you don't have to watch. Just click on something else...

Quote Originally Posted by DandT40 View Post
    As a noob I really enjoyed watching every video I could find just to get a sense of what it was like out there. Shots of particular shelters that I was going to visit were extremely valuable to see what I was getting into. I think they are great to give people that can not hike the trail often or at all an idea of what it is like. Are some very boring and pointless? Sure, but you don't have to watch. Just click on something else...
    I think you missed the point...

Images

I just finished hiking from Neel gap to Standing Indian and filmed and shot pictures along the way, I never turned my camera on at a shelter, it was to weird to do it. I just did it when I was alone or I would walk off and talk. I did interview a couple of people but after I got to know them and got their permission. A few really great people I met on the trail I didn't get to interview though. A Camera only captures half of the magic and experience on the trail.
    You're not going to live forever
    Find this to be true
    Use your past as a guide
    While you're alive
    Live

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    I think you missed the point...
    I think you missed my point.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DandT40 View Post
    I think you missed my point.
    its a double edged sword. from your standpoint, the information is invaluable and does give you a sense of what the trail is really like. from a hikers standpoint, it can get annoying having pople walking around with cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    its a double edged sword. from your standpoint, the information is invaluable and does give you a sense of what the trail is really like. from a hikers standpoint, it can get annoying having pople walking around with cameras.
    I think this sums up the whole topic perfectly!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I think this sums up the whole topic perfectly!
    hey with hikermomkd on the trail, someone here has to mediate!!

hey with hikermomkd on the trail, someone here has to mediate!!
    You got some big shoes to fill...she's good!

Well..to see the video I have to go look for them, same as with journals. Don't take me long to realize if I'm interested or not.

I'm more annoyed by the videos that keep popping up in White Blaze posts that have nothing to do with the thread.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    Funny, this is exactly what I'm always thinking watching those types of videos... I understand a little bit of talking to the camera on a long, lonely stretch of trail but the guys who walk around shelters forcing people to say 'hello' and the like just make me cringe.
    Exactly, I don't fault anyone for filming when they are alone on the trail, or to say hi to the folks back home, but the forced interviews and the "Smile for the camera, even though I don't even know you" seem rude. Think of going to a McDonalds or a Gas Station, and while you are eating, or filling up your gas tank you have somebody walk up to you with a camera taking video and say, "Hey what are you eating?" , "Are you filling up with Premium or 87" "You know you got a booger hanging out your nose?" and then uploading the video to Youtube without your permission.

On the one hand like DandT40 said, the videos are good for those who are prepping for a hike, or who will never be able to hike and just want to see what its like. However is this trend going to ruin the AT hiking experience, where an every encounter with other hikers on the trail turns into a forced interview, and every summit and special point on the trial you have multiple hikers talking to themselves and doing press conferences with anyone who stummbles by.

Some of us hike to enjoy nature and want to get away.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hiI'veboy57 View Post
    Sums it up well...

Honestly Ive nver thought about the issue though. From my perspective being a museum exhibit at work, I've become pretty accustomed to folks sticking cameras in my face
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Well..to see the video I have to go look for them, same as with journals. Don't take me long to realize if I'm interested or not.

I'm more annoyed by the videos that keep popping up in White Blaze posts that have nothing to do with the thread.
    tha'd be me...

Images

Love the videos of scenery and "places to see" on the trail... I enjoyed Loner's videos last year because they were about his hike. Cannot stand the videos where people have obviously been filmed without their permission. It's one thing to film the trail and share it. It's another ballgame when someone walks up to a stranger, films them (without permission), and puts it on the internet.

When I go hiking, I especially do not want some stranger just walking up and filming me. That is just plain creepy. I am not an animal in the zoo. I am not out there for some stranger to film and put on the internet as part of "their" experience.

Yeah I totally get that. I would very rudely tell someone to get the you know what camera out of my face if I was at a shelter and they wanted to shove it in my face. But that goes for a lot of things. Like someone else said - I hike to get out into nature. And frankly to get away from ALL people especially when I am setting up camp for the night. But due to the availability of sleeping areas and the popularity of the AT particularly in certain areas, interacting and basically living with strangers is part of it. At some level you have to HYOH and not let these little things ruin your experience.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++