WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Flashhand,
    If you are the person I'm thinking of, we met at Neels Gap a few months back. Good luck and keep hiking!
    As to some of the responses on this thread, FH is deaf and has special challenges communicating with people, it's not as if he can simply walk up to someone and engage them in conversation, as most of us do. He has to carry a pen and paper with him in order to simply communicate. think about it---what if you had to write out your order at your favorite restuarant on the trail, order a beer, much less try to inquire about work in order to offset the fact that your money and wallet got ripped off! I understand that most people have not met him and would agree that whiteblaze is/was not the best forum to ask for money for continuing a hike, his communication limits his ability to express his needs and I'm sure he found the internet the easiest. As hikers, we have learned to deal with and accept the more obvious handicaps, there are others that are not quite as obvious. If any of you want to get to know a great gentleman, next time someone hands you a pen and paper in order to talk to you, take the time to talk.
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

1700 down, 460 to go...
    Images

Default Keep chuggin' FlashHand!!

FlashHand, sorry to hear about your troubles. I hope you are still on the trail and working it out. Hope to see you up the trail when I get back. Luck!! --Uncle Silly

I'm unique, just like everyone else........ One Leg's Avatar
    Images

I really wish I'd have seen this thread way before now... Rarely have the opprotunity to visit WB anymore....

Having hiked extensively with Flash Hand last year, it saddens me that he has to abandon his quest after making it to the 'emotional halfway point'.

To those who criticize: try walking a mile in his shoes. Can't imagine being Deaf? Try watching your favorite television show with the volume turned all the way down. That's how he experiences life: as if viewing a television show with no volume.

Allan: had I seen the thread earlier, I'd have sent you a few bucks to tide you over. I'm sorry that I didn't check out WB earlier....

-Scott
    Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way, you're a mile away, and you've got his shoes.

Yeah Flash Im sorry to hear of your troubles...The screw came lose from my glasses once while out solo, It totally walleyed my trip. "duct tape would'nt work" my lens are way too thick and my myophia like 20/8000 so the doc says.A few month back I met Silent Nomad at Davenport Gap. He is a deaf hiker also, said he was taking some time off the trail to visit his sis and to relieve some stress like you all too well understand. My hat gos off to you one leg as my wife is also deaf and when them rude a$$ holes yell at her for not understanding its not crow they get.It tis my GOD given clubs!

Until I complete my study at Gallaudet U. Deafsmart's Avatar

Angry Their Eyes Were Watching God

Or their eyes are not watching?

After tremendous of stress I had since, and decided to change my hiking status from Thru-hiker to Section Hiker.. so I am going home and relieve my stress. Its hard to find any communication access except limited library internet access in all towns. You won't be able to find any TTY around in town like you have payphone everywhere.

And, Town of Luray, VA public library have limited Instant Message and it was frequently blocked as I am trying to seek for emergency help. That why it prompted me with last choice, to ask for help here on whiteblaze.net

Thanks for your help anyway, and don't send anything. Bank of America yesterday told me they are expediating a check card in two days and it should be at ATC office right now or tomorrow, which I thought it was 7 to 10 business days. I do have a personal check with me, but WHO would accept my out of state check with no photo ID? (I also lost my driver license)

Yes, It was a lesson learned the hardest way. And, party and zero days? oh well, there is thing I wanted you to know, as a deaf hiker, the communication with hearing hikers are hard. I guess 95% of the time, I stayed in shelter, watching other hikers chatting and socializing. Its hard and extreme frustrating, which is why I took more zero days to socialize in the town and cities. There is one occassion that a hotel room in Waynesboro was full of about 10 thru hikers and apparently NONE of them talked to me. It was extreme hard to hike complete isolation, walked alone in the woods and sitting quietly in the crowded shelter.

You have to be deaf to understand.... its hard and it built up the stress, and finally the stress eaten me up after I lost my wallet and nearly lost my digital camera.

God LOVE to socialize, and thats why the humans are created. So, I believe socializing is the primary reason we are here on the face of the Earth. Socializing is one that I missed the most during thru-hiking attempt. Last year, I hiked with One Leg and our communication is great. None for this year.
    Huh, what's heck is matter with you?!?! I'm kinda disappoint in those posters in negative and insensitive remark. Most particularly, never mind helping out others in time of need, but attitude toward People with Disabilities. IMHO, I do not think this receptive, centrally on negation weight of this thread carry, Thru Hiker in Emergency Help needed! message board were ever justify nor response in kind.

It is lonely to be in Hearing world; it is not lonely to be Deaf world. For you, you do the figuration and to see what it feel like to be in the world of silence; or darkness; or forsaken; or withdrawn. I've seen lot, being child of Deaf Mother and Father, attend local public school and state residence school (where late Ray Charles went to), and employment fields are never easy to break into (never mind several industries which histrionically hiring Deaf people like noisy printing press my late Dad used to worked but laid off couple times).

Times improved upon passage of American with Disabilities Act of 1990. I had wrote to ATC twice, to three ATC staffers, regard of membership due and exclusion the opportunity for people with Disability to enjoy the same due as Senior and Youth do get. It was Regular $30. However, after the name of Conference changed to Conservancy I saw the due rolled back (I might be wrong on amount of the due) to $25. I prompted renewed my membership, in mind I will continue protesting on ignorance.

Know what? It is you who create silent treatment on Flash Hand, and by this his frustration and thirst for trail friendship, he seek out off the trail and attempting to fraternize YOU among you. Ignorance continue and God knows what going on there, from shelter to shelter and town to town, Flash Hand stood and move onward and onward. By stroke of unluckiness, he lost his own objects and then this is evident of this message thread.

Now, my thread that I posted yesterday, Going to one of Trail Days matter? , those posters were gracious for signal me the existence of Deaf Hiker, Flash Hand. I don't personally know Flash Hand or what kind of schooling does he goes to. What I could tell you for myself. Few of my wallets, stereo, and several personal procession was stolen in course of my 6 years span; when I was in 3th to 6th grades I was drilled and lined up all the way to cafeteria and march for ten thousand feet (mind you, Florida School for the Deaf and the Blind founded in 1885 and grew into big campus). My Mom as no other Deaf kids' parents do, protested to school administrators to put stop on century-long army drill. SGT Rock, time were tough for 12 years old boys and this is reason why my Dad dropped out at age 15 because of hazing and roughing.

Communication accessible is nutty along trailway as well part of the world at most. Yeah, it is true but what appalling to me, Flash Hand was refused a ride back to trail that day after attempting his instant messaging at local library. This is why I am going to activate palmOne Treo 650 for trail communication and organization and stuffs like eBook reading and composing. I can hear with hearing aids, but I will be boring without converse sign language with Flash Hand and/or other signers.

Work, oh what a novelty idea but alas, what honest pay to this thru-hiker? Discrimation, range from being rip off with pay, bad faith clause, mistrust, overtime, dominance, trusting situation, communication, and sheltering are the factor like Love Is Never Silent (1985 ) (TV) and Children of a Lesser God (that won 4 Tony Award on Broadway) and later adapted for movie (1986). Employent enforcement doen't ring true in backcountry, at least for now. Would it be an advantage to miss out winter closure of Baker State Park after a long hike through Hundred Miles Wilderness in Maine? Think about it, it is better to regain employment milesoff the trail for better pay.

I got to get ahold of Flash Hand and inquire on whether he will finish his quest atop Mt. Katahdin. No matter how it turn out, I will be going for C/O 2006 thru-hiking. See ya.

Lastly, I count more than 10 post on 7-13 after Flash Hand first started his own thread. Were you all quick to say and launch your own skepticism and not many threads carried its language of kindness and compassion. I am out of....well, speechless at you adult. You know, Ignorance is WRONG. Is Appalachian National Scenic Trail open to African-American and other races and languages? Think about it and surely this will be topic in next biennial conference of the Appalachian Trail Conservancy.
    DEAFSMART * /GA\:: /\2006/\ : ;/ME\ :
    While I am about to be struck with this name and this is not trail-given name for me personally, I am more incline for your feedback and comment on what formal trail name should I acquire. Deafsmart, the name came from my grade school days.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deafsmart
    Or their eyes are not watching?

Huh, what's heck is matter with you?!?! I'm kinda disappoint in those posters in negative and insensitive remark. Most particularly, never mind helping out others in time of need, but attitude toward People with Disabilities. IMHO, I do not think this receptive, centrally on negation weight of this thread carry, Thru Hiker in Emergency Help needed! message board were ever justify nor response in kind.

It is lonely to be in Hearing world; it is not lonely to be Deaf world. For you, you do the figuration and to see what it feel like to be in the world of silence; or darkness; or forsaken; or withdrawn. I've seen lot, being child of Deaf Mother and Father, attend local public school and state residence school (where late Ray Charles went to), and employment fields are never easy to break into (never mind several industries which histrionically hiring Deaf people like noisy printing press my late Dad used to worked but laid off couple times).

Times improved upon passage of American with Disabilities Act of 1990. I had wrote to ATC twice, to three ATC staffers, regard of membership due and exclusion the opportunity for people with Disability to enjoy the same due as Senior and Youth do get. It was Regular $30. However, after the name of Conference changed to Conservancy I saw the due rolled back (I might be wrong on amount of the due) to $25. I prompted renewed my membership, in mind I will continue protesting on ignorance.

Know what? It is you who create silent treatment on Flash Hand, and by this his frustration and thirst for trail friendship, he seek out off the trail and attempting to fraternize YOU among you. Ignorance continue and God knows what going on there, from shelter to shelter and town to town, Flash Hand stood and move onward and onward. By stroke of unluckiness, he lost his own objects and then this is evident of this message thread.

Now, my thread that I posted yesterday, Going to one of Trail Days matter? , those posters were gracious for signal me the existence of Deaf Hiker, Flash Hand. I don't personally know Flash Hand or what kind of schooling does he goes to. What I could tell you for myself. Few of my wallets, stereo, and several personal procession was stolen in course of my 6 years span; when I was in 3th to 6th grades I was drilled and lined up all the way to cafeteria and march for ten thousand feet (mind you, Florida School for the Deaf and the Blind founded in 1885 and grew into big campus). My Mom as no other Deaf kids' parents do, protested to school administrators to put stop on century-long army drill. SGT Rock, time were tough for 12 years old boys and this is reason why my Dad dropped out at age 15 because of hazing and roughing.

Communication accessible is nutty along trailway as well part of the world at most. Yeah, it is true but what appalling to me, Flash Hand was refused a ride back to trail that day after attempting his instant messaging at local library. This is why I am going to activate palmOne Treo 650 for trail communication and organization and stuffs like eBook reading and composing. I can hear with hearing aids, but I will be boring without converse sign language with Flash Hand and/or other signers.

Work, oh what a novelty idea but alas, what honest pay to this thru-hiker? Discrimation, range from being rip off with pay, bad faith clause, mistrust, overtime, dominance, trusting situation, communication, and sheltering are the factor like Love Is Never Silent (1985 ) (TV) and Children of a Lesser God (that won 4 Tony Award on Broadway) and later adapted for movie (1986). Employent enforcement doen't ring true in backcountry, at least for now. Would it be an advantage to miss out winter closure of Baker State Park after a long hike through Hundred Miles Wilderness in Maine? Think about it, it is better to regain employment milesoff the trail for better pay.

I got to get ahold of Flash Hand and inquire on whether he will finish his quest atop Mt. Katahdin. No matter how it turn out, I will be going for C/O 2006 thru-hiking. See ya.

Lastly, I count more than 10 post on 7-13 after Flash Hand first started his own thread. Were you all quick to say and launch your own skepticism and not many threads carried its language of kindness and compassion. I am out of....well, speechless at you adult. You know, Ignorance is WRONG. Is Appalachian National Scenic Trail open to African-American and other races and languages? Think about it and surely this will be topic in next biennial conference of the Appalachian Trail Conservancy.
    good point! even though it is the trail, the world still lives there as well.....along with that are the skeptics.....but you have to understand something, there have been so many hikers preyed and played upon, so when the real hiker in need comes along, some will stand back and scrutinize first, then check it out....ususally in the long run, they will admit that they were wrong either verbally or in action.....but the point is this, even though we are a group of hiking enthusiasts of the appalachian trail, we are still people with our own set of character defects and assets....some are as skeptical as a rich widow and some will give you the shirt off their backs just to see you continue on your journey and sadly there are some who don't communicate at all so that we don't know what is going on in their head....that reminds me, i got a friend that if your lucky you may get two words out of him for an entire evening, but he communicates with body language and it is so cool to watch his facial expressions and the way he hunches his shoulders and so on.....we had dinner last night together and he had given his wife an oval shaped diamond ring for their 30th wedding anniversary and she was entertaining us with her non-stop cattering over the thing and you could tell he was so happy for making her happy.....but isn't it sad there are those in the world who can hear and talk, but doesn't have the foggiest idea of how to communicate in any form???

Images

I'm in Harpers Ferry.If I can find this guy I've got 3 friends that hire hikers,pay daily,two will let him camp & those same 2 will feed him dinner.The ATC & the Hostel both have huge hiker boxes.Anyone else see all those question marks floating around that post??

Great post DeafSmart - sounds like your heart is in the right place!
    ad astra per aspera

Deaf smart, dude I read it twice and I still have no idea what you just said.

Quote Originally Posted by dream
    ASL is a very different language than English. Syntax, context, word order, word endings, tenses, etc. are either totally different from spoken/written English or do not exist at all. The English writing of a lot of deaf people looks like this, because basically it is almost a foreign language to them. That said, I can understand it easily, and it looks a hell of a lot better than my signing! I can speak Spanish and German, but writing it is a whole different animal. I'll mess up some grammar and make the natives giggle. I can, however, still get my point across. Don't get bogged down by the details, just take your time with it . . .

[BTW, Flash Hand is the real deal, and he is a pretty cool guy to boot. I met him when I was section hiking at Mt. Roger's, and I have already kicked him (via email) for not notifying me when he needed help. I don't get here much.]

Jaywalke

Default Spare to repeat but make this clear

Quote Originally Posted by dream
    My thread is about what it like to be in the world of silence. Although we Deaf don't embrace silence in our daily life and the word disability, we perform and think best of ourself in ability endeavor strategically and tactically. In some way, being disability do have its own advantage and when situation prove irritating and troublesome, we enjoy watching over your frustration and hoping you will learn something out of that experience. There is project out there when you got to wear blindfold and/or earmuff and/or in wheelchair. You will be tag along with the group across busy traffic intersection and railroad crossing or in artillery field. Boy, would it be scary to be in unknown boundary?

My outdoor alumni organization ('80 and '82), Camp Endeavor, has a reference on societal interaction.
    Helen Keller stated it best when she said, “Blindness separates people from things. Deafness separates people from people.” Children who are deaf or hard of hearing are more often than not segregated from the mainstream of life. They often attend segregated schools designed for the hearing impaired and their impairment causes them to be shut out from full participation in their neighborhoods, communities and peer interactions. This makes necessary some alternative means so these children might develop the necessary skills, emotional security, and feeling of self-worth that interacting with peers usually provides as an avenue for development.
    If you sum of all posts made here, can you scale what tone in this thread was? Was every entries count as in gentle or bull$#it tone? No. Should I allow slurry remark and hardship on a child like your very own? How this would make you feel when you see children rough (I mean really roughing-up) on a child, which is left defensive? What would you respond to that injustice?

Dream, my post is about experience of being struggle, and what people with disability face everyday, transference of good or bad exposures regard how individual do cope, then s/he apply expertise on the trail and outdoor. What happen bad thing happen to us? What exact is Appalachian Trail Human Interface Guidelines? Snake bite-what would you do? What if venom gets to the victim and s/he cannot communicate you or fell unconscious? Modern society taught us to expect thing for grant; what will be lost such as wallet and survival can be easily replace. For you, easy but extra time for us. Flash Hand told us that local library blocked out ability to use instant messengers, which is true in my case because almost all Relay Services employ 3 different modes, TTY/IM/videophone to voice callers, in real-time conversation. By law, banks and financial institution cannot use regular email mode and tell us what is the best way to notify lost of wallet securely? That is one of the barrier that ATC need to address.

For us, whether amputated or blindness or deafness and other nature of disability, hardship adhere replacement what was lost in effort and in time. I can name people with disability who are already on AT in the past; those name recognition should fall responsibility with AT Museum. It is never easy, yet they made it, whether small or great. For me, soon I will join a short rooster of people with disability who made Appalachian Trail achievement.

Trail Safe: averting Threating Human Behavior in the Outdoors, by Michael Bane, Wilderness Press 2000, is the book I just checked out from my local library. It is general agreement that you are on your own once you are outside of your hometown territory. Losing wallet is ouch, right? Asking for financial help is other. But again, I saw here goes in "Grape of Wrath" Okie accent, "Too bad, ya on yer own." It was like a sport venue one-and-one fight turned out a big kicking and punching and spitting and all. Guys! Come on, behave.

Centrally to real reason of my posting, what I do noticed in Whiteblaze.net and other sites such as Trailplace.com, we posters tend to talk and talk and talk and talk. I forgot the term. Stop and pause if you don't know a thing or two; say something if you know or ought to say something. Top Poster in Whiteblaze.net is SGT Rock, 3836 posts. There is no way to match that to what he had create. I am sort proud of him but be our self and at ease. Like quote we sometime hear in our hiking community, books and trail journals, "what is the rush do we get to Mt. Katadhin?" Once again, if you need, not want, to say something, say it out then.

BTW, Camp Endeavor 1982 World's Fair [Bus] Tour is how I discovered Appalachian Trail.
    While I am about to be struck with this name and this is not trail-given name for me personally, I am more incline for your feedback and comment on what formal trail name should I acquire. Deafsmart, the name came from my grade school days.

Thumbs up Spoke to Flash Hand last night

Quote Originally Posted by jaywalke
    [BTW, Flash Hand is the real deal, and he is a pretty cool guy to boot. I met him when I was section hiking at Mt. Roger's, and I have already kicked him (via email) for not notifying me when he needed help. I don't get here much.] Jaywalke
    Flash Hand, I think, is settled somewhere off AT when I spoke with him via AIM/iChat. He is thinking on going back for 3rd attempt on this February 1st. Told him I rather not to rush my impending April 2006 Thru-hike and I would make myself to Mt. Katadhin in time. I better not say too much on what we spoke about.

At any rate, about sign language and the original concept of my message which Dream didn't get it. I spoke of soulness and the barrier to be in unknown boundary (I just posted it). For me, I was born hearing like most of you and it was until age 3, I got ear infection and high fever, I succumbed into full world of deafness. Like my hearing baby brother, the first language of every Child of Deaf Parents (CODA) is sign language. It is a native language that research had it beneficial learning structure. Out of discipline tend confronting between parental authority and the child who processed no sign language skills than do with child who processed first sign language skills. My learn rate, acquired vocabulary, intermingle with hearing relative and regular pre-school, my education were never interupt. Other kids, yes, because like Helen Keller learn late and most parents doesn't know what must they do with their child (and themselves), sadly as it seem, parents opted to institute their child in education setting at age 6.

Individual with Disability Education Act change all of that. Lucky enough, I was one of first student in local mainstream elemtary school; I always get "A" and "B" on spelling exam nearly every week. Until my family elected to enroll me and my younger Deaf brother to Florida School for the Deaf, something did change. I was shocked how lax the school adminstrators and teachers did not bother to push grammar mastery, and my spelling skills plummet overnight. Although I ranked highest with English, Reading, and Social Science, most Deaf students had the advantage on mathematic and all aspect subjects associated with numbers.

Not uniformically, everybody in human race, which is Homo sapiens, is not create equal yet we all bear same characteristic and virutes. jaywalke, your comment on American Sign Language users is true. However, ASL rooted mostly from French Sign Language and rest are combination of modern improvement after FSL was imported to North America, several from Native American Indian Sign Language.

As for me, I experience best of both world. This is why I am Deaf Novelist, and my Gratify Lasting Paradise manuscript is in progress for submission before I get on AT next Spring. Only hindrance for me is too much more to say.

Default I get it

Quote Originally Posted by jaywalke
    ASL is a very different language than English. Syntax, context, word order, word endings, tenses, etc. are either totally different from spoken/written English or do not exist at all. The English writing of a lot of deaf people looks like this, because basically it is almost a foreign language to them. Jaywalke
    Ok, that makes sense. It looked like I was reading a website through a translator program.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Deafsmart
    Lastly, I count more than 10 post on 7-13 after Flash Hand first started his own thread. Were you all quick to say and launch your own skepticism .
    I didn't post but was skeptical. I checked Trailhjournals and saw he had been taking about one town day for every two hiking days, and had jus spent a week in Wash DC. He didn't ask for food but for money. Hiking the trail will always engender emergencies. Plans need to be made. Was there no one at home from whom to get help. Did he have zero reserves, no maney in any bank account, no family members? If he did not have family members, then it would have been even more important to have a way to get money. I asked myself how I would respond to such a situation and it might be a number of things, but posting an internet call to send money would not be one. Admittedly, I have more options than he.

What if he were not deaf? There were a couple of times thruhikers had their packs stolen. Did you send them money? If a (hearing) thruhiker came on now and said, "I have no money, please send me some," would you send it?

I am not uncompassionate. I try to understand the difficulties for those who do not have the opportunities that I do. But the issue is he didn't have money, not that he is deaf. It would be a remarkable achievement if he could finish the trail, and I would help him if I met him. But I don't respond well to internet calls to "send me money" and neither, I suspect, do most people.

I cannot afford to take a town day for every two trail days, and so I did not spend money to help someone else do that. It does sound cold, what you insultingly call okie behavior, but the fact is that we all make choices and sometimes have to live with those choices. Spending money as fast as it comes in and not keeping a reserve with someone is a choice. When it doesn't work out, there are sometimes tough consequences.

I am glad that you are compassionate, but chastising others and insulting those who express legitimate skepticism is not a helpful response.

I am sorry that you are deaf, but your self-righteousness is a turn-off.
    Frosty

well said frosty

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Apparently I had a brief encounter with Flash Hand, here in Luray about a month ago. There was a man who looked a lot like the guy in the photo on this site, wearing an AT t-shirt and my sixth sense said he was a thru-hiker. He was walking briskly without pack on Main Street. I figured he was likely staying in a motel, was probably headed toward Wal-Mart over a mile away, and pulled up to offer a ride.

He did come over to my truck, but couldn't talk well. He made an attempt to communicate to me that he was deaf, which I comprehended. He then just kept walking. It's possible that by pulling up like that, uninvited, that I frightened him. I watched as he stopped in front of various store fronts to check the addresses. Eventually, I think he found what he was possibly looking for--the local Work Force Job Center. This is a non-profit organization that helps the unemployed find work and work skills.

The whole scenario confused me a bit, but this thread makes it a lot more clear. I now wish I had been a bit more assertive and had taken the time to try to communicate with Flash Hand. I'm sure I could have helped--either directly (food, shuttle, maybe even some money) or by offering him some temporary work if that had been his wish. My home, property, and business are in constant need of manual labor.

While Luray isn't the "trail town" that Waynesboro and Front Royal are, we do get several hundred hikers per year here (NOBO, SOBO, section), and I hope Flash Hand found someone familiar with the AT willing to help. At the least, I'm curious where he stayed while in Luray--which seemed to be at least a couple days judging by the time stamps on his posts here.

Anyway, best wishes on your next thru-hike attempt, Flash Hand.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Hand
    I changed my mind AGAIN, im going home because, after getting out of Luray Library, walking to a chamber of commerce, asking same guy for shuttle back to the trail, he refused and said in the morning only and remanants of Dennis is hovering, and don't have place to stay and DON'T feel like hitchhiking in State of Virginia where cops usually stop and give warnings.. so, I thought, I will be happier at home. Sorry for the confusion. I just realized I hated isolation on the trail and at shelter. I never go anywhere walletless and don't feel good about it.

I can go back to AT again but not soon. Maybe after my across USA trips.

Lesson Learned: Leave EARLY, plenty of zero days and hike my own hike and hike with someone who know sign language.

Flash Hand

Flash Hand,

I assume the man at the chamber of commerce you've mentioned is Bobby Jenkins. He usually is helpful to hikers, but he has two paying jobs that come first.

This is hindsight, but you should know that about mid-July Bobby started having some severe health problems kick him in the ass. He has since dealt with kidney stones and has had a 5-way heart bypass. Both pretty serious for a guy in his 70s. I suspect part of the reason he might not have been able to help you had to do with his declining health.

Again, I wish I'd been able to help. Maybe next time...

hey flash hands,

you may not remember me, but we met at the hiker hostel in Dahlonega. I can't help with cash, but I may be able to supply you with some hiker food and porch to sleep on while you're in harper's ferry. stop by and say hello at the outfitter. i'm there on wed., thur., sat. and sun. good luck.

prime numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    I didn't post but was skeptical. I checked Trailhjournals and saw he had been taking about one town day for every two hiking days, and had jus spent a week in Wash DC. He didn't ask for food but for money. Hiking the trail will always engender emergencies. Plans need to be made. Was there no one at home from whom to get help. Did he have zero reserves, no maney in any bank account, no family members? If he did not have family members, then it would have been even more important to have a way to get money. I asked myself how I would respond to such a situation and it might be a number of things, but posting an internet call to send money would not be one. Admittedly, I have more options than he.

What if he were not deaf? There were a couple of times thruhikers had their packs stolen. Did you send them money? If a (hearing) thruhiker came on now and said, "I have no money, please send me some," would you send it?

I am not uncompassionate. I try to understand the difficulties for those who do not have the opportunities that I do. But the issue is he didn't have money, not that he is deaf. It would be a remarkable achievement if he could finish the trail, and I would help him if I met him. But I don't respond well to internet calls to "send me money" and neither, I suspect, do most people.

I cannot afford to take a town day for every two trail days, and so I did not spend money to help someone else do that. It does sound cold, what you insultingly call okie behavior, but the fact is that we all make choices and sometimes have to live with those choices. Spending money as fast as it comes in and not keeping a reserve with someone is a choice. When it doesn't work out, there are sometimes tough consequences.

I am glad that you are compassionate, but chastising others and insulting those who express legitimate skepticism is not a helpful response.

I am sorry that you are deaf, but your self-righteousness is a turn-off.

FROSTY... I think you missed my point. I DO HAVE MONEY but LACK access to the bank. Without ATM card, no ID, Nothing on me. How can you stay another night at motel without it? And, how many payphone with TTY attached available in the Town of Luray? NONE! I have hard time finding a way to reach contact with my friends and family but the only LIMITED ACCESS I have is the Library's limited internet uses. Librarian let me to use computer all day but the Instant Message never function after 2 minutes in use. That meant I have to click X and then sign on every 3rd minute to keep in touch with friends and family and its getting really frustrating.

Flash Hand

Frosty

Again, I forget to add... DO NOT EVER WORRY about my zero days. I need zero days to communicate with my friend in sign language... I was extreme lonely on the trail where 99% of hearing hikers don't know sign language and I think that you really don't know what it is like to be deaf. I need more time off the trail to socialize. So, next time, PLEASE DON'T ASSUME or jumping to the conclusion.

Flash Hand

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++