WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    Some of use really want to know how much a thru hike costs.KK
    Most people spend about $1.50 per post, though some will spend as much as $2 per post. A lot of it depends upon how much you spend at bars and hotels. Some people claim to be able to hike the whole trail on only 1000 posts, but for most people this is not realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post

While I've personally been rarely disappointed with the "Search" function, I acknowledge that many have been frustrated so it's not the best in the world.
    It always irritated me when people said to use the search function, which I think is totally useless. But then someone suggested I go to google and type Whiteblaze and then the search terms I wanted. It seems that google categorizes the posts here better than the forum's own search engine and by putting the word "Whiteblaze" in front of your search term on google it will return all the posts from Whiteblaze that are relevant to your search.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusinsusan View Post
    Ignore feature? You mean I could get off my prozac?

Glad you like the blog.
    We wouldn't need the ignore function if it wasn't a TOS violation to tell those that need it, "Take your Prozac".

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    Most people spend about $1.50 per post, though some will spend as much as $2 per post. A lot of it depends upon how much you spend at bars and hotels. Some people claim to be able to hike the whole trail on only 1000 posts, but for most people this is not realistic.
    Bronk, the numbers you are quoting are likely a bit outdated, inflation in the prices of food, gas, and bandwith have increasesd the amount needed in the last few years. While I've never done a thru hike myself, I do a lot of posting in Connecticut/Massachusetts ( miles 1400-1550) and each summer I run into a lot of the NoBo's as they pass through the area. Those who have only budgeted $1.50-$2.00 per post are very often financing their hike with credit cards by this point in the trail. The ones that are still financially well of when I see them are the ones who budgeted $2.50-$3.00 per post.

That said, I'm sure you'll agree that one of the most valuable things people can do is to have a shakedown hike where they try at least 100 posts in a row prior to starting a thru. This will let them work out a lot of issues and also let them know if cyberhiking is really for them.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Hammock Hanger & Backpacker WalksInDark's Avatar

While rude replies are somewhat typical on some internet forums, what is atypical is that so many of the troll-like/rude/condescending replies come from people who have been on White Blaze a rather long time.

On many other forums, senior members** are expected to exhibit leadership, restraint, and kindness toward new members. Lately, on White Blaze some of the senior members** have decided that their role on the forum is to provide judgments as to the adequateness or appropriateness of other members posts.

So I just gotta ask:

Who died and left you senior members** (AKA, self-proclaimed forum experts) in charge?

**I use the term "senior member" synonymously with high post count member.
    You May Be S l o w...But You Are Ahead Of Me!

putrid colors, dude!

This ain't McDonalds. NO, you can't have it your way all the time. It's a largely opinion based free internet forum. People aren't paying to receive expert answers in a sugar coated fashion so it's unreasonable to expect that ALL THE TIME. And there are NO EXPERTS HERE just people opining.What the heck is an expert anyway? People called experts are wrong sometimes. When you ask questions or offer opinions in a forum like this you have to expect all sorts of possible things - kind, right, not applicable, wrong, not nice, confusing, what the f$%#, opposing views, RUDE, etc. It happens. BTW, even at Mickey Dees you don't always get it your way.

Images

the moderators do a pretty good job of keeping things somewhat civil, but as its a public forum, you're gonna get some wisea** remarks.
    hyoh is the most overused phrase in backpacking as everyone thinks their way is not just the right way but the only way to hike.
    personally, i reserve the right to be wrong occasionally.
    ive also learned to filter out the responses i dont care for.
    perhaps we should get a list of these senior members, so they can be put on ignore by the offended parties.

LOL i cant beleive this has gotten to 5 pages and no yelling or screaming, i think everybody deserves an icecream cone!!! HikerMom buying?????

Images

Look around you..... RUDE, SELFISH, and ARROGANT is the new "black"......... it's everywhere

sad
    YOURSELF Find, Know, Be

click HERE to become rich!

Quote Originally Posted by DaTwiztedOne View Post
    LOL i cant beleive this has gotten to 5 pages and no yelling or screaming, i think everybody deserves an icecream cone!!! HikerMom buying?????
    In my not so rude opinion I'll suggest that''s a good attitude to have. I want Pistachio and a sugar cone. HikerMom can we have your credit card number. 147 people want to charge an ice cream cone.

3 cheers for everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    In my not so rude opinion I'll suggest that''s a good attitude to have. I want Pistachio and a sugar cone. HikerMom can we have your credit card number. 147 people want to charge an ice cream cone.
    Dogwood... you picked one of my fav. ice cream flavors. Mmmmm...

Now, u got me- I feel sad to tell ya -"NO". Stop by when you're near Daleville VA & I'll buy you an ice cream cone. There u go....

The Local Johnny Reb
    Images

That is what sucks about the internet... everyone wants to be an ass to each other.....

You know... in the name of Trolling
    -Jason

McFlurries now come in waffle cones.

The Local Johnny Reb
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    McFlurries now come in waffle cones.
    If you can even get one.

I'm cursed. Every single McDs I go to endsd up having a broken McFlurrie machine.
    -Jason

Images

Wow - thanks "attraildreamer" for a long (somewhat) POSITIVE post ! For those of you that have been on Whiteblaze for a while - how many times have we heard THIS ? I know a lot of folks that actually stopped getting on Whiteblaze for this reason and now discuss matters via the plethora of AT Facebook pages. BUT ... it's not the tech - it's human nature in a day and age where folks don't feel heard. Put them behind the anonymity of a keyboard and an avatar and many people get downright ornery ! Try to realize how some things can be taken when you type them folks. Without face to face expressions, tones, etc - many things are taken the wrong way. ALSO - many of the folks that have seemed rude online were very pleasant in person ! (PS - they are just as rude on Facebook). "Hike your own Hike With An Open Mind" .... don't be the "know it all" of the shelter or the thread (I call those folks "Mayor McCheeses")
    tumblr_lvqj8tLRMF1qcr6iqo1_1280.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MyName1sMud View Post
    If you can even get one.

I'm cursed. Every single McDs I go to endsd up having a broken McFlurrie machine.
    Wendy's now has a waffle cone...delicious, and made with Splenda, instead of sugar.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Images

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post
    Wendy's now has a waffle cone...delicious, and made with Splenda, instead of sugar.
    splenda?heresy.

Not new to hiking/backpacking, but certainly new to WB - I consider myself nonjudgmental, but how long can you patiently field questions like:

Will my feet hurt?
    Do I need to bring a tent or shelter?
    Should I expect to get wet?
    etc.

The restraint and tact most of you use to answer the same questions for the upteenth time borders on the Divine! js

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Greenman View Post
    Not new to hiking/backpacking, but certainly new to WB - I consider myself nonjudgmental, but how long can you patiently field questions like:

Will my feet hurt?
    Do I need to bring a tent or shelter?
    Should I expect to get wet?
    etc.

The restraint and tact most of you use to answer the same questions for the upteenth time borders on the Divine! js

its actually the debate along with the drama that follows that many here crave.its like arguing about your favorite baseball team.at the end of the day, we all love baseball.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++