WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

My superfly should be here tomorrow can't wait to test out my complete setup. Still waiting for confirmation of shipping on my Phoenix UQ. I need it by last week in July. Sure hope I can get it by then.

Images

Winter: Eno Single with hennessy tree straps and whoopie sling suspension. Hennessy hex tarp. Hammock Gear 0* incubator under quilt and 20* burrow top quilt.
    Not Winter: Hennessy Expedition with whoopie slings and stock tarp (with hex as an option when I know it will probably rain). Hammock Gear 20* under quilt Incubator and 40* Burrow top quilt

I have most of it... I really like the ENO for winter. It packs SO much smaller and lighter, and when there's no need for a bug net, why have it?
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Quote Originally Posted by Theosus View Post
    Winter: Eno Single atwith hennessy tree straps and whoopie sling suspension. Hennessy hex tarp. Hammock Gear 0* incubator under quilt and 20* burrow top quilt.
    Not Winter: Hennessy Expedition with whoopie slings and stock tarp (with hex as an option when I know it will probably rain). Hammock Gear 20* under quilt Incubator and 40* Burrow top quilt

I have most of it... I really like the ENO for winter. It packs SO much smaller and lighter, and when there's no need for a bug net, why have it?
    I used to use a HH hex fly and even the one that came w my Hyperlight. That hex has way to much weight for my taste. If your looking to she'd a lot of weight check out Jacks R Better sil flys. The hex is 13oz probably lighter then the diamond your using. Was well worth the investment. I think it's clos to a pound lighter then the HH asym hex fly.

Actually I dont think I would spend tons of $, but I would buy some high tech gear.

I would go with this which is pretty much what I have now except a long tadpole shaped cat cut cuben tarp and cuben pack.

PACK
    Arc Blast 17
    Dry Bag 2
    Pack Cover 2

SHELTER AND SLEEP
    Cuben CAT CUT TARP 13'
    M50 5 APEX TOP QUILT - swap out to 2.5 APEX LATER
    WILDERNESS LOGICS 3/4 20dF 18.5
    GG 1/8 pad
    Hammock 5x12 dbl 1.1 DIY
    Whoopies 1.6 DIY and hook end
    5/8 mule TAPE TREE straps 2 DIY
    Bug Net 10 DIY
    POLYCRO ground cloth DIY .2

COOKING AND WATER
    2 CUP cook kit 5oz (fosters alcohol setup)
    Ursak minor 2.6 OZ bags 3 OZ
    3L Water Bladder with inline sawyer filter
    1L platy

M50 2.5 APEX jacket or 2.5 APEX vest with sleeves
    M50 2.5 APEX hood 1.5
    long john top and bot
    Head net 1.4
    Hat

Driducks or a cuben poncho

Other regular everyday clothing not listed.

Nav everyday stuff not listed.

Should come in at about 8-9# base weight.

Nice gear list tammons. When I win the lottery I'll replace my stuff with cuben fiber .

Thanks but you dont need to win the lottery to go lighter.
    I have about $750 into all of my gear and I am at a sub 9# base weight.

I have accumulated some used and MYOG a lot of gear and my Base weight is still between 8-9#
    and thats without any cuben.

If you can sew or learn to you can save some $ and some weight. You can buy or MYOG a few key pieces of Equipment now, cheap out on some, then upgrade gear as you can afford it.

If you can sew I think its worth MYOG'ing a tarp(maybe), Climashield quilt, Hammock, Bugnet (although the Eno cost only $60 if it fits and weighs 16 oz), Climashield Vest, Cook kit, Alcohol Stove, Stuff sacks, snake skins, Whoopies and straps and a few other odds and ends. I have made all that gear plus a M90/Climashield Jacket with hood, IX UQ, and a full frame cuben backpack.

The Jacket was torture as I have never made any clothing. I made it because nobody really made exactly what I wanted which was climashield insul, light, very warm with a detachable hood. It is super warm and very nice. Huge learning curve and many frustrating hours. Weighs 16 oz.
    Thinking about building a lighter one LOL.

The IX UQ was largely a waste of $ and I should have put that $ towards a WL UQ or a MYOG CLimashield UQ.

Now that I have gone through all that, I do think its worth, buying a good pack, tarp, down underquilt and a SUL down jacket unless you like the torture of clothes making. In the end, A Zpacks Blast pack vs say a Gorrilla will save you 8 oz so not a huge deal and can be replaced later but the cost difference is only about $50 so probably worth it now.

A typical Zpacks cuben hammock tarp will end up at 8oz with line and stuff sack vs my MYOG tadpole tarp and will save me about 4.5 oz again not a huge savings - reason I cheaped out.

I think the real weight savings with Cuben is when all of your gear goes into the SUL category then you can save a few pounds. but that can cost thousands depending.

The real reason I made a silnylon tadpole tarp copy instead of buying one, was mostly because I wanted a longer cat cut tarp than they sold and to torture myself with working with silnylon. It weighs 12.5 oz with cordage and a double ended stuff sack, line adjusters, micro titanium biners etc. Being 6-3 I have to have a 12' Hammock. That said Wilderness logics sells a 11' tadpole for $115 and it weighs 12.5 oz without cord. Whichever Just lay out the $ for Zpacks line and adjusters. My lines weigh about 1.25 oz. Also WL will make a 12' tadpole an would probably make whatever length you want.

Also the new tadpole is camo, and if they would have sold that back then, I would have bought a tadpole.

Best thing I have spent a lot of $ on lately was dutch clips micro titanium biners and titanium whoopie hooks. SUL, strong and makes setup very easy.

I built a modular quilt a couple of years ago. 2.5 Apex shell with a zipper on the side and a 5 apex silk covered liner to stuff inside.
    A bit Bulky but very nice and not too heavy. Super warm. Other than that the best down quilt I owned was a golite ultra 20
    that weighed 21 oz. Sold it like a moron.

My main pack for now is a stripped used Jam II I have had for years - $50 - 18oz

The few cuben things I would really like to have are a Large Zpacks Blast mostly because I need a bigger pack anyway and would like a semi frame.
    $289 for a blast vs $225 for a Gorrilla with belt is not a big spread. Maybe a long Cuben tarp because they do not mist or stretch or absorb water
    but I can wait on that. Also a Cuben Packa would be nice.

Love this thread title...big if....if bull frogs had hip pocket they could tote six-guns and shoot water maccasins too.

By now I have tested most of the gear on post #40, and the only thing that remains as a favorite is the Traveler, plus a few Dutch widgets.

Zpacks arc blast
    zpacks standard hammock tarp
    warbonnet yeti 3/4
    warbonnet mamba
    dutchware argon hammock

that's a pretty nice 4lbs

If we're going to open this thread back up, I'll come brag about my set up :

- 11' Dream Hammock Thunderbird in 1.6 Argon fabric
    - 12' Hammock Gear cuben tarp with doors
    - 20* Hammock Gear Burrow
    - Underquilts.com 3/4 UQ with 9 ounces of down
    - Zing-It ridgeline with a Dutch ridgeline biner and a stingerz
    - 4 MSR Groundhogs
    - Dutch tree straps and DIY whoopies with Dutch whoopie hooks

Things I would buy if I wanted to keep bleeding money:
    - 0* Hammock Gear Incubator UQ
    - 50* Hammock Gear quilt set

I would not work. I would be a volunteer for many more organizations!!!

Dogwood's comment made me laugh so hard!

But I would check out at http://www.hennessyhammock.com. They are hammocks with begetting and a rainfly all in one that is EASILY put up and down. Check out this review of their Expedition model. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G57bWtTgbds. Just made sure of hight and weight
    I just got one for christmas from the official website and got a free Cub Hammock (5'7 120lbs) for free! Exact same set up just smaller for a kid (cub). But I backpack with a lot of girls that could easily use it or I could just use it as an extra chair around camp. Im 6'2 and I went ahead and got the Expedition even though it says 6 foot. But I read people being a little over 6 foot being fine inside of it. ALSO they have two different entrance options! A patented bottom entry or traditional zip entry. I got the zip but its your preference!

You can also literally build a custom hammock from http://www.dream-hammock.com/HammockCalculator.html. Check out this review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgyQZy4X_TM.

The best part about Hennessy is the "snake skin" technology that makes putting up and taking down the hammock super fast. Many people upgrade the rainfly but the stock one will do the job! Just not something you wanna be stuck under a downpour all day in. But I always bring a couple thin traps until I upgrade mine. Guaranteed to be the first one set up out of your group. And it makes the mornings that you have to pack up less irritating haha.

If money wasn't a problem I would probably go with the "Survivor Digital Universal Camo" hammock for $320 from Hennessy Hammocks. But since money was a problem I got the Expedition Asym Zip which was $170 (came out to $184).

Hope this helped!

Hey.. you said IF MONEY WERE NO OBJECT.. what were you expecting for replies? Don't need no stinkin hammock when there's no limit to price!

If money were no option, well the best thing about that would be, I wouldn't have to have one kit and make it work for different hikes/conditions.

Being able to drop a boatload of money for a kit tailored towards an AT hike then being able to drop a boatload of money on a specific PCT load out would be sweet.

But if money were no option, the last thing I'd be worried about is my gear. That'd be easy.

Plus I'd be so light, I could probably bring a hammock and a tent lol

Let's have "if money were no object" thread, for gear.

Not only hammock gear.

It is fun to daydream about "what if" gear.

If I won the lottery I'ld give the ATC $100k a year mostly for replacing the nasty shelters and building some trail side priveys.

And road side trash cans.

If I won the lottery I'ld give the ATC $100k a year mostly for replacing the nasty shelters and building some trail side priveys.

Money is no object on the trail, that's what makes it great

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++